MasterCard

Updated 21 November 2014
3.7

MasterCard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Pros
  • The company also has a great culture and most of its employees try to have a good work-life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, good global exposure but still very beaurocratic and "meeting heavy" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work life balance that they preach on paper but do not put in practice (in 12 reviews)

• No priorities at the senior management level (need to be everything to everyone) and execution is unrealistic (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Evolving into a technology company

Current Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Leader in San Carlos, CA (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior leadership has a great vision for the future of the company and employees have bought in. Strong growth and profitability has allowed for acquisitions to keep pace with the change and innovation. Great benefits, profit sharing and health plan. Great internal communications and resources available to team members. A company with a social conscience.

Cons

One challenge is the highly regulated industry environment which inhibits rapid development and change. Can be bureaucratic and sluggish to move.

Communicate clear ownership and install processes to accelerate implementation of new strategic initiatives.

Aug 18, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Your sentiment regarding being socially conscious is what brings great pride; as we say Doing Well by Doing Good! thanks for your review

Very positive experience

Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very positive work environment, great culture.

Cons

Having to wait from the green light from on high frustrated some devs.

Admirable Culture

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The companies culture is extremely impressive. I have worked as a contractor for a little over a year and recently became an employee and couldnt be happier. I worked for another company based in St. Louis for 5 years and they are night/day with MasterCard. There is lots of employee appreciation and a also a committement to employee growth.

Cons

Any time you are working in IT there will be lots of challenges with the work which can be stressful at times. The only thing is it is very hard to come into this company as an employee without knowing someone first.

Aug 6, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Culture is a key driver when people consider working for any Brand - thanks for your thoughts!

Senior Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY (US)

I worked at MasterCard as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company continually offers training courses and programs in all business areas, so there is a lot of opportunity for professional growth and development.

Cons

While the company utilizes a large number of consultants to contribute to strategic planning, consultants' opinions are not valued by long-term senior executives with over 20 years of experience. The company appears to be going through a transformational change and could benefit by transforming their talent pool.

There are really brilliant people at the Business Leader level who should be promoted to Senior Business Leaders and Group Heads.

Great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Del Rio, TX (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good compared to others

Cons

Being mean to people most of the time

Relax

Lack of leadership.

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was a contractor for an associate software engineer position for $25/hr. I was paid on time. You work a lot more than you are paid for, but it is very nice to work with such a large organization. It is a big place. I am sure there are some good teams there.

Cons

The details of the job were hidden behind senior employee's egos. I was constantly reminded that I was a contractor and not an employee. There was an enormous lack of communication. I was constantly being cussed at and berated. I guess management was constantly overworked. There was a lot of negative gossip initiated by management. Obviously, you work hard and feel good about your work and are let down when after looking people in the eye day in and day out and dealing with a lot of nonsense you receive a call from a contract representative you've met once saying you are no longer employed. A lot of micromanagement.

Don't feel threatened when you are looked in the eye and spoken to. If something was not done to your satisfaction, communicate it or provide criticism/feedback.

Uncomfortable and hostile at the lower to middle management level.

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hiring new and younger employees while maintaining existing generations which provides a broad spectrum of existing experience and new ideas. Benefits are still reasonable and there is a matching 401k which starts vesting in the first year. Senior management is absolutely moving in the right direction.

Cons

Old school hostility still exists in pockets. Attempts are being made to clean up unacceptable behavior but it's like moving a battleship.

Train your management team and have HR proactively involved. When your overall management score is ranked below a 6 on a scale of 1 - 10 specific intervention would be useful.

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I worked at MasterCard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

MasterCard really values their interns. I was given a legitimate independent project, the results of which were used even after the internship was over. There are many internship activities throughout the summer, such as sitting in the MasterCard box at a Cardinals game, volunteering at Junior Achievement Finance Park, and various "lunch and learns" with executives. The internship is one of the most professionally designed programs I have seen. MasterCard provides housing and transportation for interns not from the area which is a huge perk. MasterCard uses the internship program as a pipeline for full-time hires. I was even given the opportunity to work remotely during the school year.

Cons

Interns in MTO and IPS don't get to interact much at work.

Great office culture. You can tell innovation is a priority.

Great place to work - glad I made the leap!

Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In addition to their solid place in the market, growing revenues and encouraging future, MasterCard treats their employees well, communicates effectively and provides empowerment to employees at all levels.

Cons

Like any large organization, politics can trump basic common sense with decision making. Also, titles for positions are ambiguous which causes some confusion.

While a matrix organization is a great collaborative tool, too many dotted lines or an unclear organizational structure leaves challenges.

Aug 6, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

We value your response - thanks so much !

Good Company

Current Employee - Consultant in O'Fallon, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in O'Fallon, MO (US)

I have been working at MasterCard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast Paced, Good work environment, if you work hard you get rewarded. Good tuition reimbursement, pays for certifications and training.

Cons

You may have to work overtime, not everyone works hard.

Jul 22, 2014VP, Employer Brand Marketing

Thanks for your review - we are happy that you gave some insight into our culture!