McAfee

McAfee Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

McAfee President Michael DeCesare

Michael DeCesare

Pros
  • Promotes work-life balance - Remote work is often encouraged for FTEs (in 67 reviews)

• You have Flexible Working Hours - can come and go as you wish as long as work gets done (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor flexibility with respect to work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Some times senior management can be tricky trying to find scapegoats to escape from their mistakes (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work for!

Systems Developer (Former Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsVery Good work atmosphere/culture. Good management. People in all the software departments are mostly friendly professionals.

ConsSome times senior management can be tricky trying to find scapegoats to escape from their mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead my Cons

Great

ProsGreat work, great team and culture

ConsNormal senior management
    Not so great office

take a job here if you are Unemployed!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsMcAfee is a company that offers free parking and free sodas to employees.

ConsMcAfee is a place to go to die or to go if you're unemployed--that was my excuse. The company is filled with "lifers" who have put in years and years. Quite uncommon in the valley so you should take this as a red flag! People managers have $0 budgets for development. In the entire time I have been here, not once have I attended a meeting (staff, extended staff, all-hands, etc.) that included a speaker from outside of McAfee or Intel. This is called inbreeding. This is what's going to kill McAfee.

Least capable get promoted. Remember that when you see someone's resume who was a director or a VP. The people who are changing things who are creative and paradigm-shattering come in and leave jaded usually under 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people
    Allow your people more latitude to complete their jobs
    Change meeting structures from status reports and top-down communications to more creative, problem solving and down-to-top communications

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Contract

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupport good work / life balance.

ConsHave an ambiguous career trajectory.

tech lead

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosflexible timing, brand value, work life balance

Conssalary not good comparatively, single digit or no hikes

Advice to Senior Managementvalue the employees

Restricted funding at Mcafee

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsAccess to new technology and innovation

ConsMinimal raises, restricted hiring in US, lots of offshore hiring

Advice to Senior Managementco-locating engineering teams improve quality and performance

Potentially a good opportunity, but make sure you (and your management) are aligned politically with executive staff.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of products to sell - many of which are market-leading solutions.

ConsI perceive a deep lack of clarity and focus within the sales ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMcAfee sales org has a great many very skilled individuals that are not being heard and appear to be disconnected. I would recommend you listen to them as they could hold the key to strong future growth and returns for the company.

No Leadership Accountability

ProsGreat employees who are very smart. Flexibility. Fighting cyber crime is a noble cause. Pay and Benefits are pretty good.

ConsNo accountability for behaviors of Sr Leadership...including president of company who bullies others. Leaders date employees, hire and promote their friends. Business is not growing and no one is doing anything about it. HR will get rid of people who try to shed light on the bad. HR leaders are just as bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being afraid to do the right thing.

A "meh" company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsImmediate colleagues are great and well as immediate managers. Benefits are pretty standard (2 weeks for new employees, 401k match, etc...). There is opportunity to move around within the company if you're interested in different positions that are open. A decent place to start a career.

ConsLack of communication within the company. A lot of "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" and very little coordination which can make projects difficult. Very frequent to sudden changes in policy and projects with very little forewarning.

Company politics and a very "silo'd" feeling within the organization. There is also a lack of employee appreciate events/awards and not very competitive raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with employees and make them feel valuable through more reward programs.
    Offer competitive pay for current employees to keep good talent.
    Trim down upper management and number of VPs to better avoid internal company politics.

Great Experience

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsYour weaknesses become your strengths. I became very competent at the tasks I was assigned.

ConsThere are cliques within the office, I had a creepy boss, and the work can be very repetitive. The intern program is not built out as it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for interns, and get up to speed with what's popular in the Silicon Valley. That will attract the right set of employees.

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!