McKesson Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.4

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 42 reviews)

• Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westminster, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supporting Manager, Comfortable and relaxed environment, decent PTO and Work from home policies, above average benefits, fair salary

Cons

It is a LARGE company, as such, things often move slower than a person would like.

Make sure everyone understands the mission and goals for the business and believes in them. With such a large company it is really easy for the guy at the bottom to not know what they are working towards.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at McKesson

Pros

The company has been around for over 150. Years and is still going strong. The work you do helps people and saves lives . Good pay

Cons

Some long hrs .
    Hard work , but it keeps you busy and in shape . Lots of physical work .. If your not in good shape you will be .

Very large company that at times forgets the people that made it that way.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and career advancement .

Cons

Suggestions and ideas get lost in the red tape.

To improve processes start at the line employee. Pay more attention to middle management that have good ideas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits.
    If you're a manager, you're likely going to get a very good incentive plan.
    Ability to work from home.

Cons

Promotions are rare. If you're "liked" by someone, you may get promoted. Otherwise, you're probably going to get stuck in your current position

Create a better path for promotions.

Good place to work considering it's a huge corporate environment

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Analyst  in  Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at McKesson as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I loved the teamwork with fellow co-workers. Strong leadership kept the team focused and also provided what was coming down the path. They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life.

Cons

since I was working in a contractor role, I was not able to transition to a full time position as there was not one available. Compensation was almost half of contract pay.

Consider moving full time folks who are less productive to make room for contractors who want to work full time and benefit the business unit.

Long term employee effected by reduction in staff has confidence in the company and its ability to refocus.

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Analyst  in  Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is large and has a breadth of product which allows for opportunities to change roles and gain knowledge in many areas. There are great opportunities for success and longevity.

Cons

Its strength is its challenge , Size. Decisions must pass through many layers leaving lower management with extremely limited decision making abilities. Currently, struggling in some areas with communication and balancing the consolidation of business units.

Be sure not to forget about the actual employee. Lower management needs to stay connected to their teams and ensure groups are working together and communications are consistently distributed.

Good place to work

I worked at McKesson for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company to work for. People care about the product and services. Met very nice people to work with.

Cons

Communication between the departments need some work.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty much everything. I loved working for the company and really had no complaints at all.

Cons

Hardware your given isn't exactly up to par for what employees do. They tend to crash and tech support is not helpful.

Get better computing technology

Excellent place for internal promotions and building a career

Former Employee - ServiceFirst Supervisor  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - ServiceFirst Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time

Pros

Excellent management team who were willing to help me succeed.

Cons

Didn't utilize the floor as much as possible.

Great Opportunity Comes at a Price

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at McKesson full-time

Pros

The chance to build your resume is the reason I stay. My team is made up of very intelligent engineers who don't mind taking the time to expand your knowledge base. New technologies are implemented all the time so you are constantly learning. Working from home is nice.

Cons

Con #1 is Work/Life balance. There is none. I've worked in IT for long enough to know that you will work some weekends outside of being oncall but here it's 3/4 weekends a month, sometimes every weekend. You cannot make definitive plans with family or friends without taking PTO as projects will pop up week of and take up your entire Sat. Now some of that is due to staffing. Since I've been here McKesson has not gone a year without laying off 100's of people.

Interpersonal skills are not a focus with IT personnel and I get that but sometimes it becomes difficult to communicate effectively which sours morale.

Pay/Benefits are not great. 401K is only a 3% match and 50% for last 2%. For a Healthcare company their medical is nothing special. I've gauged my pay versus peers in my field and sites like salary.com and McKesson is between 10-20% lower than average and don't expect anything more than cost of living annually. I've made my case for a raise every year but I always get some excuse for how they can only give so many good/great/superior reviews and that drives your percentage increase. It's quite discouraging.

We are macro-managed and all be it fair better than micro lends itself to a disconnection between employee and management. Accolades are rarely given for great work as management is not involved in weekly or monthly activities.

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!