McKesson Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

3.4

McKesson Chairman, President, and CEO John H. Hammergren
John H. Hammergren

Pros
  • They also support a work-life balance and provided flexibility for family/personal life (in 42 reviews)

• Very flexible and will allow you to work from home several days a week (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay, Work-life balance can be tough to achieve if you are a salaried employee (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management limits middle management from creating a functional work environment (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place if you're fresh out of college

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Carrollton, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Carrollton, TX (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The skills and experience of Corporate America are some of the best that you can learn especially if you're fresh out of college. Many top of the line classes offered that you can use outside of the company.

Cons

Pay could be better, along with better benefits. Very little growth so not the place to stay for an extending period of time.

Large and in Charge

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager  in  Remote, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Remote, OR (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Thousands of employees make working for this company overwhelming, but the culture is pretty good. Its great networking internally with so many divisions. They take care of their employees and they pay well.

Cons

Very slow to change and fix problems.

Not enough management and leadership within the organization. Chooses to eliminate the Managerial role and stick with several Supervisory roles reporting the Director or VP. I get eliminating middle management but it has gotten ridiculous.

Great Opportunity Comes at a Price

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at McKesson full-time

Pros

The chance to build your resume is the reason I stay. My team is made up of very intelligent engineers who don't mind taking the time to expand your knowledge base. New technologies are implemented all the time so you are constantly learning. Working from home is nice.

Cons

Con #1 is Work/Life balance. There is none. I've worked in IT for long enough to know that you will work some weekends outside of being oncall but here it's 3/4 weekends a month, sometimes every weekend. You cannot make definitive plans with family or friends without taking PTO as projects will pop up week of and take up your entire Sat. Now some of that is due to staffing. Since I've been here McKesson has not gone a year without laying off 100's of people.

Interpersonal skills are not a focus with IT personnel and I get that but sometimes it becomes difficult to communicate effectively which sours morale.

Pay/Benefits are not great. 401K is only a 3% match and 50% for last 2%. For a Healthcare company their medical is nothing special. I've gauged my pay versus peers in my field and sites like salary.com and McKesson is between 10-20% lower than average and don't expect anything more than cost of living annually. I've made my case for a raise every year but I always get some excuse for how they can only give so many good/great/superior reviews and that drives your percentage increase. It's quite discouraging.

We are macro-managed and all be it fair better than micro lends itself to a disconnection between employee and management. Accolades are rarely given for great work as management is not involved in weekly or monthly activities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place to work

Current Employee - Material Handler  in  Winchester, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Winchester, VA (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of OT all of which was mandatory unfortunately, promotions, and set days

Cons

Mandatory OT, mangers play favorites, poor pay

Treat your employees with more respect.

good place to work

I worked at McKesson for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work. good benefits and great people.

Cons

No room for growth, management tends to micro manage.

Long term employee effected by reduction in staff has confidence in the company and its ability to refocus.

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Analyst  in  Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Analyst in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is large and has a breadth of product which allows for opportunities to change roles and gain knowledge in many areas. There are great opportunities for success and longevity.

Cons

Its strength is its challenge , Size. Decisions must pass through many layers leaving lower management with extremely limited decision making abilities. Currently, struggling in some areas with communication and balancing the consolidation of business units.

Be sure not to forget about the actual employee. Lower management needs to stay connected to their teams and ensure groups are working together and communications are consistently distributed.

Was a great employer until 2 years ago

Current Employee - TeleHealth RN
    Current Employee - TeleHealth RN

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Get to work at home with resources available via instant messaging for computer issues or clinical questions. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Recently there has been pressure from upper management to meet time metrics without fail. No consideration about the patient. And no consideration of the nurses individual contributions.

Do not expect that staff will meet the time metrics each and every month.

Pay for Performance Works

I worked at McKesson

Pros

McKesson has a Pay for Performance program that ensures all employees are focused on their goals for the year.

Cons

McKesson has it all. Small divisions make decisions rapidly, and large divisions work more slowly.

Overall O.K. Experience. Not Really.

I have been working at McKesson as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Cons

Many and plenty Nice Break Room. Terrible overall experience . I would not recommend anyone attempting to go anywhere

Shove It

Poor Management and will write you up if a mistake is made

Current Employee - Driver  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Driver in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at McKesson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits. Poor pay. Average equipment.

Cons

Management, minimal training, Over-time now that McKesson has purchased us. They want to cut overtime. I was trained for two days. This group flies by the seat of their pants.. The top manager loves to swear alot!

Fire the management out of Auburn WA. and use your own management in Wilsonville OR. Management in WA is a bunch of bullies!!!

Worked for McKesson? Contribute to the Community!