Medecision

Updated 23 January 2015
2.6

Medecision President & CEO Deborah M. Gage
Deborah M. Gage

Pros
  • Flexibility, work-life balance, compensation, super dedicated & talented people (in 10 reviews)

• You can setup a schedule where you work from home full time, which is very progressive (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of talk about work/life balance, but don't try to actually have (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management brought in hand-picked people that did not know the business or were particularly good at there jobs (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Vapid, immature leadership

I have been working at Medecision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits are fair. Free candy and beverages [Koolaid] in the office. Graffiti free restrooms. Plenty of electrical outlets.

Cons

The culture is toxic. Inequitable treatment of employees. Hostile work environment despite parent company mandatory education. Inappropriate communication not addressed. Frequent discriminatory comments about women and diverse staff. Candor is punished. Morale is poor. ELT is not trusted. Weak HR staff. If you like to work where your work is not valued and there are no advancement opportunities, then this is the place for you.

STOP the Town Hall meeting madness. These meetings are a huge waste of time and money and the group activites are like pre-school. Put that money towards fixing the multiple defects in the platform. How can we continue to lie to our clients about having the defects fixed? ELIMINATE Client Forum. Another tremendous waste of money. Have smaller meetings regionally to better meet the needs of the clients. ADDRESS the excessive alchohol consumption by Medecision staff at company and industry events. It is unprofessional and embarrassing. LISTEN to the employees about the issues that impact go forward progess. RECOGNIZE the leadership cronyism that exists. We all see it......ever read The Emperor's New Clothes?

Once a great company...but no more!

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Wayne, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Wayne, PA (US)

I worked at Medecision full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good pay
    Talented peers
    Lots of travel

Cons

No work/life balance
    Very negative work environment
    No leadership
    Poor benefits
    Lots of travel

Deb Gage took the company in the wrong direction and destroyed it.

Software developer

I worked at Medecision

Pros

This company in great business and great ideas

Cons

The software and technology is always up to date

Keep up a good work

Unstable

I have been working at Medecision

Pros

A lot of nice and competent people work there.

Cons

No job security. Always putting out fires. Development division lacks knowledgeable direction. No loyalty to employees.

Innovative company, focused on changing healthcare by delivering exceptional value to customers and employees

I have been working at Medecision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Medecision is hyper focused on delivering exceptional service to our current and prospective clients. This creates an environment that encourages employees to act like owners and feel empowered to do what is right for our customers. Only second to customer experience is employee satisfaction, our executives are actively engaged in improving our work experience to ensure employees are happy, healthy and productive. Medecision has been in the market for over 25 years so we have extensive experience and capabilities that we are able to share with our clients. Finally our executives are passionate and razor sharp driving the vision for our company and solutions.

Cons

401K match is not competitive. The market is in a constant state of flux demanding flexibility and challenges on the employees. Time off is fairly conservative and you are not allowed to roll over time not used.

Keep driving the market is still in front of us. Even though this is a mature company the market is new and may require nimble and quick responses to be competitive.

It's all about the people

I worked at Medecision

Pros

Incredibly talented teammates and coworkers Company embraces the virtual work-lifestyle
    Results oriented, not 9-5 time clock driven
    Good salaries
    Ability to take on new opportunities if you are willing to expand
    Internal mentoring program
    Quarterly town hall meetings

Cons

Brick walls and segregation around departments
    Constant finger pointing
    Lip service about collaboration
    Negative environment that basically drives people out the door

MEDecision is not for everyone. But it is no better or no worse than the majority of IT firms in the marketplace.

After many years at MEDecision, the question comes back to what is good about it. The answer is always the same. This company has attracted some amazing talent, team players, and innovators that continue to "fight the fight". To management, honor those people. They still believe in the company, despite the struggles of the past few years. They should be rewarded for their dedication and belief in the company's vision.

To potential employees, If you are looking for a textbook job, then MEDecision is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a place where you will be challenged, asked to step outside your comfort zone, and work alongside dedicated people, then please submit your resume. I will gladly work next to you as we fight the fight and innovate new ways to offer healthcare solutions.

Great People, Learned A lot, Not Sure Where It's Headed

I worked at Medecision (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got to work with some very smart people and learned a ton of new skills. I had great relationships with people in different departments and everyone I asked for help always gave it willingly.

Cons

Leadership? My direct manager was great but any higher than that was just a revolving door of same thing, different Director / VP. The buzzword when people would quit was that they were "change weary".... more like lack of change weary. There was no consideration for the customer needs and few people above Manager level understood the product. I expect some level of disconnect between Sales and Implementation teams but it seemed particularly bad at this organization.

Doesn't matter, they wouldn't take it.

Great place to work but not any more...

I worked at Medecision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible work hours and ability to work remotely. Pay was good.

Cons

Leadership took the company in the wrong direction.

Poorly Managed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA (US)

I have been working at Medecision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Very flexible work from home policy. You can setup a schedule where you work from home full time, which is very progressive.
    - Brand new facilities opening 9/22 for folks who work in the office
    - The developers and QA engineers who have been here for years are very helpful and knowledgeable.
    - Test automation conscious development and testing
    - Starting to develop with newer, interesting technologies (include mobile applications)
    - Modern marketing department

Cons

- The SDO is moving from Agile to a waterfall SDLC. This in itself is not an issue, but there are little to no requirements for projects, so it's very hard to estimate entire waterfall project timelines, understand what to develop, and understand what exit criteria to which QA should test.

- Project timelines are not readjusted when scope, resources, size, or cost changes. Employees are asked to make broad estimates for development or testing with little knowledge of the project, and are held accountable for any dates given, no matter the level of confidence in the date.

- Little to no collaboration between management and individual contributors. Managers are told to "get it done at all costs" by senior leadership, and thus the individual contributors must respond to constant resource shifting and overtime to finish a project by the original estimation date.

- Management does not understand what it takes to build software. There is a mentality that the SDO should just "do it" for each project. They don't listen to suggestions for process improvement.

- Due to high attrition rates and more work than the SDO can handle, developers and QA engineers are constantly swapped between projects to the biggest fire, sometimes on a weekly basis. Employees are expected to make up for missed time on other projects with overtime.

- Routine, significant overtime is expected, and this time is not compensated in any way.

- There is no voice for the employee. The internal surveys that are sent around from HR clearly show a decline in employee morale, productivity, and desire to work here. There has not been significant action to address these issues.

- Senior and Executive leadership do not directly address the issues presented by the SDO workers. Managers are powerless to effect any change, and thus the individual contributors are left to deal with the mess.

- Due to changing scope and lack of requirements, development cannot always deliver to testing on time. As a result, the testing cycles are shorter than needed, and the quality of the products suffer. The defects that are not caught in testing due to condensed cycles are instead found by clients.

- 0 defect release policy. Instead of a high water mark for defects counts at a release, the decree is that all defects found must be fixed before a release is GA. This makes for extremely stressful stabilization periods with endless defect fixes, testing, and builds.

Stop trying to finish everything so quickly and be the hero to all of your clients. If you scale and plan the work to fit your SDO size, and engage and LISTEN to your SDO individual contributors regarding the work you are planning, you will further engage folks into the process. This will create the passion you desire. If you have engaged employees who see that you respect their knowledge and time, they will work harder for you and create better quality.

Use the tools you've purchased for estimating and tracking project status. Your clients would rather take releases at a later date with higher quality than more quickly with issues. You can't work people to the bone with overtime across multiple projects to meet dates, and also demand perfect quality in each.