Media General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton

Marshall N. Morton

Pros:
  • "good pay and benefits, flexible schedules"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Everyone works hard to meet the common goal of a meaningful daily newspaper"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Crying out to upper management for help produced no results"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great field

Media (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than a year

Prosgood experiance in media field

Consnothing downside in media fieldq

Advice to Senior Managementno i m not intrested

Worst place I ever worked, bar none!

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Columbus, GA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKnowledgeable and helpful co-workers who cared about the product. The product was a great one to sell. The compensation was very reasonable.

ConsManagers are inept as it gets. Good ole boy system alive and well in their linen suits. Upper management is absolutely clueless. Middle management is just trying to hang onto their jobs. While I was there, middle managers were partying with reps and handing accounts out to the girls they partied with. Upper management was receiving reports of Peyton Place and they would shoot the messenger. The place was so bad they bought a traffic system that was virtually unusable. No body bothered to check it out before this huge corporate purchase? Thousands upon Thousands of dollars lost in advertiser dollars because they could not figure the system out. Departments were not allowed to talk to other departments unless they went through Department heads. If this company makes it through the decade, color me surprised.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlready given and rejected. They prefer to ride this wagon till the wheels fall off.

A company in decline ... retrenching and holding fast to outdated business models

Online Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation is competitive in the market

ConsPlaying a losing game in today's media marketplace

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is more to news delivery than the paper that lands in the driveway and the news you put on TV based on your schedule ... get with the times

Don't go down with a sinking ship

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProduct at one time was great. Nice people to work with. could have been a lifelong career.

ConsManagement has no clue about changing times, the paper is not what it use to be.. They sit there and say we are the trib and advertisers need us. This company for years has been reactives as opposed to proactive. Through mismanagement from the top all the way down to the local sales managers has given the St. Pete Times the opportunity to take over the Tampa Bay market.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for new jobs because It's too late. This company will be shut down and the building and land will be sold. You handed over the market to the Times, hope you enjoye!

Brief but fun!

Web Developer (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Media General as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI worked briefly at a Media General station that was piloting hyperlocal social media. At the time, it was a very exciting and dynamic environment. There were a lot of talented and bright people that were very dedicated to this innovative project.

ConsMedia General corporate seemed very disconnected from individual properties (stations/papers) and thus seemed out of touch with what was and wasn't working with each one. Very strict IT policies on what can be installed makes it difficult to set up an effective web development enviroment.

Sad

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than a year

ProsMost coworkers make it a fun and enjoyable place to work.

ConsDon't take a job as an inside sales rep. The call center is managed by people that will tell you what you want to hear at the interview, and then it's "their way or the highway" once you're hired. They micro-manage you to death. They use fear and intimidation to beat down the rank and file. If you have talent and can produce, you will ultimately be looking for another job once again. You can't even move to another department, as they will squash all attempts. Their egos will not allow you to get the better of them. At the interview, be sure to ask about the "Dialing for Donuts" room.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many people in supervisory positions that did not get to where they are through hard work and merit. Politics and the good old boy network are destroying your company. Do something before the Tampa Bay Times becomes the only paper in Tampa Bay. Listen to your employees at the lowest level. Don't rely on your managers to give you the real story.

Media General produces good journalism, but the company was not prepared for the digital age.

Digital Media (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMedia General continues to be a good place to develop young talent among reporters and producers.

ConsThere is no financial strategy for company web sites, so Media General depends on seasonal events like political campaigns and the Olympics as revenue generators.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease develop a digital strategy to take advantage of the growth opportunities that exist in that medium.

A company going to the pits

Senior Executive (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome nice folks who genuinely know the business and really works hard.

ConsGood ol' Boys and Girls club. All taking care of each other until they retire in the next 5 to 10 years. No reason to take chances or innovate.

Board is completely useless.

The person who runs the Columbus station is a big loser and everyone in corporate wonders why he doesn't get fired. CEO is a loser, has no vision or backbone. Incoming CEO has no experience and is a genuine prick. The company has no future and they know it. It looks like they are getting ready to sell off the rest of the business in the near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementStopping fooling yourselves. You have no innovation in your blood.

Stop lying to your employees.

Bait and Switch

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than a year

ProsThe compensation is decent, the co workers are great, and they have excellent on the job training.

ConsIt starts with the interview process for the Classified Department. The 2 managers that are in charge make you think that you will be treated like an adult professional. Then when you start they micromanage you to death. When you try to approach them about this they say it's our way or the highway. Not a professional way to handle your employees concerns. Combine that with the fact that if you do manage to stick it out you go nowhere in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the mid level managers that have been in the same position for more than 10 years and bring in people that have a fresh perspective and some empathy for their workforce.

It started good, got bad, then tripped down the rabbit hole to hit the awful bottom.

Producer (Former Employee)
Spartanburg, SC (US)

I worked at Media General full-time for more than a year

ProsActive TV news industry; Health Insurance Better than Average; Vacation Days; High news numbers; Sold off Newspapers!

ConsNo raises; Furloughs; No opportunity for Growth; No bonuses; Pay is not competitive with market; Mismanagement and lack of communication within departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management. Not adaptable to changes in technology/ways of doing things. Still run on "old school" notion -- news flash, newspapers do not run the media industry anymore. Focus on things in specific markets. Utilize Social Media more.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Media General reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Media General CEO Marshall N. Morton. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Media General employees.