Medtronic

Updated 20 November 2014
3.6

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak
Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of variation between the culture between BUs which reflect in work-life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Once great, has lost its way

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product range that really changes lives
    Learning opportunities that come with being part of a global business

Cons

Leadership has totally lost direction
    Can be few opportunities for advancement, depending on the part of the business
    Constant threat of redundancy

Remember the Mission. Be guided by what is bes for the patient and the rest will follow. Regain the culture where people were proud to be part of a team that changed people's lives.

Great company, high quality employees!

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best part of Medtronic is high quality of its employees. There is never a dull moment and you will receive ample intellectual stimulation. A lot of of empowerment.

Cons

None except if you are in the rat race and want to move up quick, this place is not for you.

Excellent company to work for.

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Depending on your willingness to get things done the right way, there is plenty of opportunity.

Cons

Social cliques resembling high school and college can at times slow down effective progress and change.

QA analyst

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

good technology and work environment

Cons

too far from my home

A good company with a few bad managers.

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Technician in Juncos, PR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Technician in Juncos, PR (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work stability. The benefit package is good but not spectacular or the best is average. You can retire if from here if you have no development interest or grow interest inside of the company.

Cons

Scare tactics are used to modify employee behavior. No work-life balance. The work-life balance is only to there favor. Promotions to preffered employees. Little to none growth for certain levels. Manufacturing is too stressful and does not need to be like that for the work to be completed.

The best resource of the company is the employee. Employees can make a company a success or a 483 receiver... Don't squeeze them... Nourish them... or at least be fair to all not to a few of your liking.

World class medical device manufacturer.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Everyone truly believes in the mission to alleviate pain, restore health, and extend life
    - Benefits are generous
    - There is a high culture of respect and trust

Cons

- It is a large corporation that is slow to move and navigate through its own red tape
    - Medronic is very risk-adverse and cautious.

Take more chances. Risk to the patients will never be an option, but there are many business opportunities that could truly revolutionize the medical field that are left untapped due to a reluctance to try drastically new ideas. Medtronic would be healthier to collaborate with outside innovators and continue to bring new talent in.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Intern in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Medtronic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment. Specially for interns. My colleagues were very helpful. I really enjoyed my time out there and learned a lot.

Cons

At our time, many of the interns were not hired for the full time. Probably there were no opening. Though it didn't affect me as I were not looking for a job.

Office culture was great.

Great job, poor management

Former Employee - Director in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great and fun job working with sales and external customers. Travel was 75% but based from home. Great recognition for a great job done. Good pay and great bonus/benefits. Some really great leadership. Company provides you with anything you may need to do your job well. The majority of management is very hard working and respectful. HR was fair with support for the management and for the employee. If you had a good management staff above you, you have an enjoyable job!

Cons

If you are in the office, there is a lot of politics. There are also some pretty bad directors and above management but they are not the majority. No one stops them from behaving badly which is a shame. Pricing for the devices and technology can be very high and not always what the market can bear. As new competition hits the market, technology is more equal but pricing does not always remain competitive for the company products. I do not believe the company is even close to what it was as Sofamor Danek or the early Medtronic spine years.

Field Clinical Engineer

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven culture - employees are reminded of the impact they make on patients and healthcare
    Innovative organization - employees are encouraged to think of innovation in their jobs - anyone with an idea can share and get feedback
    Ethical culture
    Enjoys a superior reputation among customers as compared to other competitors
    Great leadership that has a vision for the future

Cons

compensation is fair, not the highest among the industry
    the different Business units have their own operational and execution styles.

Best job.

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Growth opportunity when you get the regular (Fulltime) and better if you have some college

Cons

Not easy to be a regular employee.

They never know who is better and/or who deserves the best because they supervise a big crowd and imposible to them to see clearly, for example; i am the most cleanest worker and quality is first but many others only think about the numbers at production, they're good but not like me :) and i am the only one who want to work overtime and/or late night and weekends, everybody wants work and get out early and only work for the money, but i want to learn more and more everyday. Integrity, loyal to the company that help me with a job and i appreciate that thank you Mproc, and in a future maybe i can go to college and graduate keep working at the company that is helping, restoring peoples health and life.