MetLife Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
Updated 23 October 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian
Steven A. Kandarian

Pros
  • The work life balance is a plus; especially for working professionals with families (in 117 reviews)

• MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the supervisors don't allow flexibility as far as work-life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

outbound sales consultant

I worked at MetLife

Pros

commission is fairly decent and paid weekly, meetings to keep up team morale are also great

Cons

managers are extremely unprofessional, name calling, swearing, yelling, not turning up etc.

Metlife customer

Current Employee - Premium Payer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Premium Payer in Sydney

I have been working at MetLife (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are very good at taking preminums

Cons

They are extremely good at dragging out claims so the insured person either commits suicide or walks away from their entitlements

You have picked a fight with over 300 New South Wales Police Officers (Australia) who are determined to expose you for what you are. A complete fraud with blood on your hands.

Outstanding company, but inconsistent experience for associates

Former Employee - IT Manager in Somerset, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Somerset, NJ (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A company that you can be proud to work for.
    Decent pay and benefits.
    Incredible work/life balance (depending on the organization)
    Pockets of excellence and some really cutting-edge architecture, technology and behaviors
    Some of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of working with
    Lots of opportunity to contribute (depending on your manager)

Cons

Small pockets of political backstabbing and "culture of blame" groups.
    Pockets of outdated technology and behaviors.
    No accountability or 360-degree feedback for managers. Luckily, most are good, but there's no mechanism for calling out the ones destroying morale.
    Extremely poor oversight of the transition of IT Staff to Raleigh. Many people are being hired and given no support, direction or motivation and it's created a lot of dissent and frustration. Managers should have been moved/hired first like they did on the business side.
    Generous separation packages encouraged people who *could* find jobs to take the money and run rather than relocate or look for internal reassignment.

Focus on developing/moving/building leadership in Raleigh to mitigate the damage to morale that's already occured/occuring.
    Implement bottom-up feedback and reviews to identify the managers that are undermining your vision.
    Put skills inventories back in place to identify the talent that you have rather than continually going outside to consultants or hiring to plug gaps that don't actually exist.
    Leverage the breadth of experience that your people bring to the table instead of being narrowly focused on HR-defined job functions.
    Shift more responsibility/accountability to managers and employees and stop consolidating all of the decision-making at the top. (eg: operating budgets, expenses, bonuses, salary treatment, etc.) If the managers can't handle it, train them or replace them. Fund services appropriately and let the managers figure out how to deliver.
    Consider incentivizing employees to stay rather than paying them to leave.

5 out of the 7 managers that I had there were among the best that I ever had. If it hadn't been for the package, I would have jumped at the opportunity to join another team within the company. While I could (and did) find a higher level position and salary, there's a lot to be said for being part of MetLife.

If you're a current employee and frustrated, just know that it's not the whole company. Talk to other teams and look for other opportunities. There's a reason why some people stay with the company for their entire career and it's not apathy.

Great place to stay

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at MetLife as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Positive company culture.
    Supportive colleagues.
    Lots of opportunity to contribute

Cons

Pockets of outdated technology and behaviors

Keep showing yourself.
    Try to communicate with other departments and learn more.

Investments

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work life balance and good compensation

Cons

very US centric and need to adapt to US culture

I am proud to have worked for MetLIfe

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Always found the employees very willing to help each other. The company offer many professional opportunities to their employees. Depending on you department flex time and telecommuting are possible.

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say. Only advice. If you want to move up in the company it's up to you to take the initiative and apply/post for higher level positions.

Good benefits, great teammates, some leadership okay

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of training. Good benefits (health, dental, vision, vacation). Some management is very helpful in developing employees.

Cons

Can be some backstabbing in office culture. Some management can be the worst offenders in the backstabbing or picking favorites to develop. Has a tendency to pigeon hole people in roles they are good at.

Develop your talent. Don't leave an associate in a position simply because they are really good at it. Find their passion and develop it.

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at MetLife

Pros

Benefits, good people, big company

Cons

Slow growth potential, don't communicate very well

Allow growth

Great experience, but poor final outcome for typical MBA summer intern program

Former Employee - MBA Summer Associate in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - MBA Summer Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at MetLife as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the people that I worked with at the DC office. They gave me a lot of high level work to do relating to real estate debt/equity investments and asset management. I felt like the work I did supporting the team added significant value and I received a lot of positive feedback. I was also happy that MetLife accepted someone that I referred to the summer of 2013 program at the headquarters in NJ.

Cons

To my knowledge, this was the first MBA level summer program and none of the summer interns were offered full-time positions. There were five interns, all at different offices (one at the headquarters), and each person had a signficant amount of prior commercial real estate experience. During the summer of 2012, each of us had completed our first year at the following graduate business school programs: University of Georgia (Terry College of Business), University of California at Berkeley (Haas), University of Pittsburgh (Katz), UVA (Darden), Emory University (Goizueta).

State clearly at the beginning of the program whether or not there is the possibility of full-time employment, or if an offer is a possibility upon completion of the program. Also, provide more feedback at the end of the summer regarding how each person performed and where he/she could possibly fit in to the organization if a position becomes available.

MetLife Review

Current Employee - Senior Project Lead in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Lead in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good management, challenging projects, good benefits and balanced work-life environment. It allows to select carrier path. It allows for the training.

Cons

It is very big company and sometimes it takes longer to take the decisions. It doen't allow to work from the home.

Promote talented individuals faster