MetLife

MetLife Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

MetLife President & CEO Steven A. Kandarian

Steven A. Kandarian

Pros:
  • "Flexible work arrangements and very good company for work life balance"
    in 89 reviews
  • "MetLife has great benefits and different positions in different departments"
    in 68 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lean work force, very aggressive timelines, work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Lack of visibility to senior management as to who is doing the actual job"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Metlife customer

Premium Payer (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at MetLife for more than 10 years

ProsThey are very good at taking preminums

ConsThey are extremely good at dragging out claims so the insured person either commits suicide or walks away from their entitlements

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have picked a fight with over 300 New South Wales Police Officers (Australia) who are determined to expose you for what you are. A complete fraud with blood on your hands.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible work schedule. Lots of training opportunities for personal and professional growth.

ConsSalary r.ange is not satisfactory

Overall a Great Company

Closing Loan Coordinator (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and corporate culture

ConsPulled out of mortgage industry

Opportunities to improve, but slow growth - CEO needs to stop importing ideas from outside and improve from within.

Investment Analyst (Former Employee)
Morristown, NJ (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company values, work/life balance, and opportunities to interface with the customers. Strong diversity and inclusion policies and opportunities to get involved in more than just your job. Many departments, some mobility across units. Decent resources and reasonable benefits. Hours are not bad, and friendly to family-focused individuals.

ConsPolitical end-of-year evaluations, slow promotions and salary growth, and unless you're part of the favored few, little clarity into management decisions. If you're critical to your position, may be difficult to move to another. Conservative, slow, consensus-style investments. Oftentimes will have people hired from outside above you instead of promoting from within which can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the investment office from NJ to NYC or Jersey City - you'll get more of the candidates you seek. True up salary - your best people are leaving because you don't pay them similarly to competitors like AIG and Prudential.

Worklife balance is great

Investment Analyst (Current Employee)
Morristown, NJ (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsWorklife balance, senior management exposure

ConsUncertainty due to regulations, career opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage switching departments

Excellent company

Claims Examiner (Current Employee)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey give you the tools you need to get your job done

ConsThey should rework their compensation structure

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MetLife

ProsEthical company with great benefits.

ConsDifficult to make money in the first year.

Great Place to Work If you work hard!

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent corporate culture, and you're selling the best financial and insurance products in the world. There's a ton of support, and if you're willing to work hard, there are ways to stay head-above-water after the trial base salary wears off (which is like 6 months in). Residual income from a book of business is a very real possibility, which can start essentially being enough to live on after a dozen or so sales.

ConsThe job is almost exclusively commission, which can certainly be daunting. Met is also undergoing a bit of a philosophy change currently, so a lot of the old guard is changing, and this can be an intimidating time in anyone's career.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my time there, the only "advice" I'd have for management is to keep up the good work. While I feel they could attempt to be more hands on with their new people, I don't know that they could do it without spreading themselves too thin.

Make sure you interview w/ the hiring mgr

Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at MetLife full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits (there's a pension plan but it vests only after 3 years), people are generally genial & smart

ConsManagers need to be hired because they have people management experience, not because they present themselves well or were great individual contributors. Managers from different groups do the interviewing so you don't even talk to anyone you'll be working with. Apparently this speeds up hiring per advice from a consultancy group.

Another frustration is that people don't respond to pings or emails (or respond a week later) either because of all the work they have due to people being laid off or they don't want to help their replacements when they are being laid off.

Furthermore, even if you are new, you are still expected to do perform well when there has been NO training. You're basically thrown into the deep end when you don't know how to swim and expected to learn to swim and beat Michael Phelps in a race before you drown!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's take action on the feedback given from skip levels and surveys.

Ok

Annuity Post Issue Representative III (Former Employee)
Bloomfield, CT (US)

I worked at MetLife full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge Insurance Company with great benefits

ConsNo training programs, the company did not value its employees or provide incentives to increase employee satisfaction

Worked for MetLife? Contribute to the Community!

MetLife Videos

MetLife – Why Work for Us?

As one of the world’s largest and most successful life insurance and financial services companies, MetLife makes a difference in the lives of over 90 million customers around the world who count on us to help them… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MetLife reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for MetLife CEO Steven A. Kandarian. All 803 reviews are posted anonymously by MetLife employees.