Michaels Stores

1,020 Reviews
2.9
1,020 Reviews

Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 83 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 73 reviews)

• If you are not a manager of a department or of the whole store, you will not be full time (in 70 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job but that's it

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Blaine, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Blaine, MN (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Business gets busy and really slow so you have time to rest. Easy job. Good first job teaches great customer service skills and cashier skills. They move you to sales associate after a few months so you can get skills in that also. Not very many employees total so keeping names in line is easy.

Cons

Can't get very many hours. I only got about 10-15 a week. Had to work thanksgiving but was sent home after an hour because it was slow, my family was already up north by that time. Pay is not good but for a first job it is something.

Good first job (cashier/sales associate)

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Products are always changing with the season, the customers are generally polite, I've made a couple close friends while working there (1 year), crafty atmosphere that's fun loving most of the time

Cons

Co-workers have cliques, hardly any growth opportunity, low pay, full time not possible unless you're a manager, a lot is expected of cashiers (watch for theft, answer the phone, deal with customers), district manager needs to know what is going on with employees rather than the condition of the store.

Have at least 2 cashiers at all times, be more interactive with how employees are treating each other

Seasonal part time sales associate

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great associates, discount, hours are ok

Cons

Pay is at min wage, most sale items do not ring up on sale, some managers need up training and/or sensivity training, no steady hours- scheduled until 10 but usually leave early and don't get paid for it, extremely unrealistic goals to ask for emails- we ask but the customer doesnt give - hours reduced

Uptrain mgmt, come up with another policy with emails, maybe have a loyalty program or send them a $5/off for shopping, etc

You have to start somewhere

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Ancaster, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Ancaster, ON (Canada)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few very special employees, I met some great individuals and enjoyed my shifts with them. Also, as long as you're diligent and have some self pride in your work, it is easy to excel at Michales. Most of the products do not require expert knowledge, thus it is easy to learn enough about them quickly in order to answer customer questions and make suggestions.

Cons

Don't expect to get time off for anything, Michaels is unfortunately not very cooperative and/or understanding of other commitments such as school, and will most likely give you a hard time about any leave or time off you request, even if you only request 1 day a year. Also, unfortunately, at Michaels, your opinion really doesn't matter. if you agree upon working a certain number of hours each week, and specify your availability, the Michaels store manager will disregard it and schedule you in for hours that "need to be filled" regardless of whether or not you have specified a conflict prior or not. Also, a few individuals mostly in upper management directly at the store are unprofessional and poor leaders.

Consider your employees as human beings instead of machines to "fill hours" and be a little more cooperative regarding external commitments. Take a little more of the business mindset out of your mind and add in a little more humanity. Be realistic and put yourself in your employees' shoes. If you wouldn't schedule yourself in for 8 hour shifts 6 days in a row, with 1 day off and repeat, or you wouldn't schedule yourself in for a shift when you know you have a conflict with school, don't do it to others just "because you can". Happy employees means happy customers and the longevity of both.

I love it!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have a great team, store and job!

Cons

Long hours sometimes, and the stress

Make sure training is achieved

Great company to work plus I love being creative

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverside, CA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love helping people make the vision in their head become reality.

Cons

Alot is expected with not enough time to complete for the standard expected. Company needs to give more payroll for service and standard.

Corporate needs to free up more payroll for the store level employee's

Average Experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Southfield, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Southfield, MI (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers, job is easy, great discount, fun crafts, get to talk to customers about various crafts, great coupons

Cons

Upper management is clueless, rude customers, email requirement, every transaction is timed and it has to be below a certain time, not enough workers to meet customer needs

Do not just drop by once every few months and "correct" things. It's awful and unhelpful.

Overall a fun and creative outlet for a work environment.

Current Employee - Custom Frame Manager in Tustin, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Custom Frame Manager in Tustin, CA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like working with your hands and feeling a sense of accomplishment on a job well done, then framing is for you. You can release your creative side and use artistic skills to help create designs that are completely unique.

Cons

If you can handle a fast pace work environment and can retain all the knowledge that is needed to understand your job to its fullest extent then you really don't have any cons to worry about.

The management does a great job at helping you with your team and putting you on the right path for success. The only advice I might give is for upper management to understand the value of some of their more knowledgable staff and pay them more accordingly.

One of the best jobs!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Everett, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Everett, WA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my managers - they are amiable and talkative and make me feel like I matter in the store. They thank employees for coming in on days off or coming in early, and don't guilt you when you aren't able to. I've been able to do tons of different things in this store, and the managers always seem to be open to letting me help in new positions. I really feel like I can grow career-wise. They also hire people with tattoos, piercings, and dyed hair and don't treat those who have them differently. They're flexible with availability, as well - some people I work with only work once per week, while others work nearly every day.

Cons

It's SO hot in the summer, I nearly got heat exhaustion several times (started carrying a mini-fan). The email percentage thing is absolute bull and makes no sense - I say this because they don't really give us a good reason for pushing customers for their emails. We need 25% and yet there's some places in employee handouts that tell us we don't need to ask if the customer has a cell-phone-coupon, but no one can take that seriously because nearly every customer uses a cell phone.

The email thing needs to be worked out - it either needs to be a rewards system or stop forcing it on customers.

Replenishment associate

Current Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to use your creativity and meet interesting people.

Cons

Wage and generally only provided 10-15 hours of work per week

Communication is the key to being in any management position. Because retail has many different shifts and different positions it is important that all employees receive any and all communications in a timely manner. It is also important that all stores are held to following the job policy and procedures developed corporate and if there is flexibility which there can be in retail due to constant changes then any policy changes should be communicate in writing and not just a verbal communication so that all employees within the stores are able to read and follow those changes appropriately.

Michaels Stores Photos

Outside of a Michaels store located in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Michaels 135 Promenade Blvd.
Willow Grove!