Michaels Stores Reviews

Updated 24 April 2015
1238 reviews filtered by
1,238 Reviews
Chuck Rubin

Pros
  • Employee discount is OK, not as much as other retailers but also better than nothing (in 85 reviews)

• I liked the people I worked with and working around arts and crafts (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits for part time is not so great - maybe they could offer full time benefits to (in 76 reviews)

• People who have been there nearly a decade still don't get full time (in 74 reviews)

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Product, customers, management salary and bonus potential

Cons

Corporate office is completely out of touch with what it takes to manage or work in the stores. Districk Managers should be a liason to roll up store issues however they simply tow the company line. There is no appreciation of tenure, dedication or hard work of store associates or managers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your Store Managers and store associates. They are the ones who know what the customer wants and need. You have done a disservice to your associates and customers by cutting payroll to the absolute bare minimum.

2. Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

As with all retail jobs, things vary store to store. Thankfully the store I work at has wonderful employees and managers. They're also very flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Well, it's retail. Customer service is constantly frustrating. The store I work at also has a slight problem firing incompetent workers so someone can do a no call/no show for a while before management puts their foot down. Sometimes expectations are too high for closing crew to complete in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

This is to corporate management:
    Keep the mobile website consistent and make accessing coupons easier for costumers--it's not very user friendly.

3. positive

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate/Cashier in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate/Cashier in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, nice coworkers, honest managers, easy work

Cons

Not a lot of hours, cut hours, dealing with sassy customers, folding tshirts, learning through michael's university

Advice to Management

Tell every cashier and sales person how to do something the same way, instead of telling people differently

5. Cashier

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Good Discounts, Good Supportive Environment

Cons

VERY strict with hours, not flexible

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of your staff

Replenishment Specialist, Sales Associate, and Cashier

Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Great first job/transition job for students, flexible hours, quick hiring process, opportunities for advancement available, co workers, customers, projects and creativity, and 30% discounts on merchandise.

Cons

Not enough hours granted to allocate the necessary amount of employees on the schedule to complete all-store tasks, the work of 15 people is expected be done by a team of 6 in a part-time shift, short-handed most of the time, multiple job responsibilities expected to be executed under one sole job title, and overall work insisted does not justify pay rate.

Advice to Management

In a perfect world, I would advise the allocation of more hours to stores so the necessary employees can be scheduled on a needed basis, especially low level performing stores that need that little extra help to demonstrate they can meet the expectations of an A store. With that in mind, if current employees specifically those holding the most longevity in the company would be considered being compensated just a bit more, then they may continue performing what they love doing with more speed, quality, and consistency. With that said, perhaps there wouldn't be a need to hire more employees during peak and non-peak seasons.

Good steady work in a poorly run company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is steady and not difficult. As you discover in any retail job, the customers are generally some of the worst human beings imaginable, but it can actually be fun to help them realize their project goals sometimes.

Cons

Pay is not very good, and raises are absolutely atrocious (a 'good' raise is $0.30-$0.60/hr). Management cannot focus on a single goal at a time, and consequently, every aspect of the store suffers. Easy work can attract lazy workers. Extremely few hours for PT employees. Company absolutely refuses to have as many employees on hand as needed (have you ever been there and not seen a single employee on the floor to help you find something? Michaels is aware of their terrible customer service and refuses to do anything about it. Embarrassing.) Everything sold at the store is incredibly cheap plastic junk from China that is marked up so high from cost that it should be illegal. Whereas it used to be an artsy store that smelled of paint and crafting, and was full of supplies and happy workers, now it just another big box store that smells like plastic and sells junk that people glue onto other junk - the art is gone. Morale is extremely low among employees. The corporation is focused more on things like collecting emails and addresses from customers to bomb them with ads than actually helping the customers in store.

Advice to Management

Return to the basics of customer service. Give the hours needed to keep employees on the floor helping customers, stocking, cleaning, etc. Saving a few dollars by only having one person on the floor to help (who inevitably ends up on the register anyway) is a poor model for good customer service. Focus on making the current customers return because the have a perfect experience rather than trying to get their email addresses to fill their inboxes with spam.

8. Great Atmosphere

Former Freelancer - Scrapbook Instructor
    Former Freelancer - Scrapbook Instructor

I worked at Michaels Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to make up my own class schedule. Manager was flexible with with my availabilty due to the distance I was traveling.

Cons

There was not enough interest in classes so a lot of times I would go to work with nothing to do.

9. love my job

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Good discount, nice co-workers, creativity encouraged

Cons

Low intro pay, never get weekends off

10. Cashier and Class Instructor

Current Employee - Cashier & Instructor in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier & Instructor in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and supportive management, as well as competitive instructor commission with the ability to develop my own teaching schedule. Great employ discount--larger than most retail employers offer. I began as an instructor, and am very happy with the management that sees and reward potential with more work opportunities.

Cons

Low pay--as with nearly any cashier/retail position. It isn't a living wage, which means my great employee discount can rarely be put to good use.

Advice to Management

Continue working with and for the working body; I've seen great strides in store organization, and progress with efficiency. It is a promising outlook, and am hopeful that this progresses.

Good place to work if you're not trying to make a living.

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Scarborough, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Scarborough, ME (US)

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Enjoyable and creative work. Mostly relaxed environment although the Christmas season is always hectic. I learned a lot about framing and art preservation.

Cons

Frame Shoppe was a little understaffed so any schedule changes were difficult to make. Pay was not very high for a job that involves sales, design, production, and customer service. Software could be very glitchy, but it did improve while I was there.

Advice to Management

Michaels needs to pay more competitively, especially in the framing department. Don't micromanage so much: Corporate dictated exactly what tools were and were not allowed in the shop, but that did not include basic things like a utility knife or hand-held mat cutter. Corporate should trust trained employees to do a good job, or at least visit a store to see how jobs actually work.

Michaels Stores Photos