Microsoft

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.6 7,586 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 369 reviews)

7,586 Employee Reviews

Stable, safe place to work - pity about the middle management bickering and senior management lack of imagination

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsVery stable work environment where you can find a niche and develop over a long period. The level of stress and intensity of work can to some extent be as high or low as you personally choose.

ConsPoor senior management and a middle management that constantly infights, jockeys for position and bickers. Part of your job as a non-manager is to avoid being tangled in this infighting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves. Stop making kneejerk reactions to competitive fads - instead focus on delighting customers, innovation and real investment in customer success. Ballmer is no strategic leader - he's a sales leader and without Gates is unable to articulate a vision for the future of Microsoft.

Great place to work under the right team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosgreat pay and benefits and depending on the team, hours

Conseasy to get lost in the sea of people

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure to keep the community and camaraderie in teams

Awesome Place to Work!

Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee) North Sydney

ProsGreat benefits, definite growth potential, and the people are second to none. I've made a lot of lifelong friends here. It was one of the best experiences I've had yet!

ConsDue to the sheer size of Microsoft there is a bit of bureaucracy you have to negotiate, however things do get accomplished and change does happen just a bit slower than most would like. Other than that it’s a hell of a place to work! Two thumbs up!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very political place to work

Account Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsMicrosoft Australia in 2006-2007 had some great opportunity for making money, as it was an emerging market that hadn't been tapped at all. Customers were just glad they had someone to talk to. Really enjoyed the customers I worked with and built relationships with.

ConsMost of sales management had no experience in actually selling and had just been promoted from another group to run sales. I found my manager to be more of a hinderance in the sales cycel rather than an asset. Sales managers spend their time crunching numbers and manipulating spreadsheets and don't actually spend any time in the field selling or helping their reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some people from outside Microsoft to be in management. Continuing to hire people from within just perpetuates an already incestuous environment.

The best and the worst place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to a lot of information and good knowledge sharing - you can learn a lot and develop yourself. You also get to work with a lot of smart and diverse people.

ConsProbably the most selfish place to work - backstabbing, politics, and everyone climbing over each other to stand out from the rest. The company is bloated, with too many managers, so you know the competition is fierce. You are not rewarded for performance but for how you play the politics. For such a "stand out" company they are incredibly disfunctional and inefficient - it is little wonder the software is bloated and troublesome - it is a direct reflection of the organisation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbout 50% of the management, at all levels, should quit. Stand aside and allow more competent people to take on the challenges. And if you do decide to stay - get rid of the empire building, remove the barriers to allowing groups to work effectively with each other.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

Pros1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

ConsBrand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Microsoft - The future looks great and now is the best time to work for

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsUnder CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft is going in the right direction. I believe the senior leadership is doing the right things, making the Engineering changes like combined Engineering model, less management chain and focusing on the core strengths. As an employee, I get less tangled in processes and am free to do my stuff without micro-management. Great work gets noticed by not only by my manager but all the way up to the VP level and rewards follow. I am provided opportunities to take on additional responsibilities which paves the way for professional growth.
    Unlike other competitor companies, work-life balance is much better at Microsoft. I can manage to spend a lot of quality time with my family, take periodic vacations, and still maintain an Excellent rating at the performance reviews.

ConsI don't have any cons to discuss at the moment but I am still not convinced about the Performance Review changes for 2014. We will get a better understanding by September 2014.

Good Times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery good place to work

Consnothing negative to say, I have nothing bad to say about this company

Great company to work for

ProsGood experience, great talented employees to work with

ConsNone that I can think ok

Huge challenges, scope and scale

Principal Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsSmart passionate people. Among the best HR/benefits and comp packages out there. Ease of mobility between roles. Puget Sound work environments are excellent - campus is top notch.

ConsIt's become a VERY big place with a lot of fiefdoms. Advancing ideas requires willingness to not only make a case but in some cases extreme political gamesmanship. Too many eggs in one basket in terms of revenue generating products.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!