Microsoft

3.6 7,058 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

7,058 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber"
    in 609 reviews
  • "Some smart people in pockets but not many of them great at politics so marginalized"
    in 845 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance can easily get out of whack if you don't actively manage expectations"
    in 443 reviews
  • "The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist"
    in 358 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ERP Technology Director (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart people, massive variety of things to work on. Exciting, Challenging tasks. Freedom to innovate. Superior work life

ConsCompensation not up to the mark.

Great interview process, super friendly and informative.

I have been working at Microsoft

ProsAll the people were very excited about their work and shared just how much they'd learned from their time at Microsoft. One called it a "free, continued education."

ConsSeems like you have a lot of mobility to move around, one con is some of the older guard may not be as flexible. The younger managers and workers all seemed a little more loose and friendly.

Microsoft is a great employer

Principal Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Cares about their employees
- Pays well
- Good work/life balance.

Cons- Some duplication
- Need to be more agile

Very Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft

ProsSome of the brightest people and cutting edge technology

Consi chose to not comment

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved.

Great company to work!

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart people, training structure is great for on-boarding and every process is well structured,

ConsIf you are not an FTE you can't participate of team events, it feels like you are a second class citizen.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your non-FTE people better, we are all people that do the same work...we just have the tittle.

Being SDET at Microsoft

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salary compensation, nice bonus system, great medical insurance coverage, nice place to work in terms of both office space and people you're working with.

ConsLong decision making periods, inflexibility and too much of conservativeness when it comes to add something new to the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore fresh blood and flexibility would let us achieve more in the same amount of time.

Good place to work, but politics and reorgs limit upward momentun

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, easy going work place, not super fast paced, great lifestyle company, can WFH or OOF often with little notice. Good pay for the area.

ConsReorgs limit promotions, Windows Phone is very hard to move up in specifically. Redmond/bellevue/issaquah area is tasteless. Most people are family oriented so not a great place to be young. Most emloyees are lifers and have preconcieved notions for how everything should be done -- limits productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop throwing people at problems and promoting edge cases. Stop using MSWord for specs -- there are much more powerful tools out there.

work load

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood salary and good benefit

Consnot interesting, it is boring

Part-time job for students

Data Collection and Labeling Associate (Former Employee)
Belgrade (Serbia)

I worked at Microsoft part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity for students to work in an environment such as Microsoft. Very easy to fit with your obligations at the faculty. Great atmosphere and a chance to meet very interesting and intelligent people.

ConsSince this is a part-time job, managing faculty obligation should work well though it might be very exhausting from time to time. Very close deadlines of other teams are often connected with the team of Labelars.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be better if labelars are mixed with other employers more.

Powerful company, too internally focused

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Extremely smart people
- Very professional organization
- Great working environment and benefits
- Especially good on the technology and sales sides

Cons- The place is massive, and can feel like a giant machine. One way this plays out is that entrepreneurial ideas tend to get diluted and implemented slowly
- The overall culture focuses too much internally, not enough on external competitors
- Sometimes the internal competition dials up a bit too high and collaboration dials down

Advice to Senior Management1) Work very hard to shift the culture to an external-centric rather than internal-centric one
2) Find ways to decrease competition and increase collaboration amongst the top layer (CVP and above) of the company. This will then filter down.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 7,058 reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.