Microsoft

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.6 7,584 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber(in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference(in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance(in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist(in 369 reviews)

7,584 Employee Reviews

Great company to work for

ProsGood experience, great talented employees to work with

ConsNone that I can think ok

Company is changing for the better

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGreat coworkers, learned a lot and enjoyed my time at Microsoft.

ConsUpper management could listen more to there employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new ideas from the little guys. Don't just dictate work.

Amazing place to work

ProsA leading company. Great place to work, work/life balance not easy to achieve but doable. In my case most of the managers I had /met walk what they say. As you start achieving your goals, career opportunities open up.
    You can achieve bold goals, have real impact. You will usually get the recognition to your contributions. Solid values and policies to foster a great working environment and company reputation.

ConsSometimes the "not invented here" syndrome shows up. The culture sometimes make people stay in the comfort zone doing things in the way they've been doing for years rejecting ideas/comments/assessments from people that bring other experiences. Hopefully the new CEO will start changing this.
    Salaries are not the best in town.
    The scorecard culture needs improvement to allow mid term strategies and avoid arriving late to most of the parties.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful journey to learn much technique.

Intern (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

ProsIt is one of the biggest software company in the world. Many famous expert in MSRA that teach me how to develop a software in research thought.

ConsProjects are not in mature designed here because they are research projects that cannot predict the reaction of users.

Great people, good work life balance, good products.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsMost of the people are smart, hardworking and fun. Very passionate about what they do. I've always had pretty good work/life balance, with only occasional long weekends and late nights. The products have global impact, which can be exciting. Very good pay, health coverage, and other benefits.

ConsSometimes a lot of bureaucracy, the normal sort you expect from a big company. Frequent re-orgs waste almost a month every year... or more.

Slow promotion process to get to a Lead or Manager position. In *years* there, I've only seen a few people leave lead positions, and only a couple people move into lead positions from the individual contributor ranks.

Review process is not fun. There's a lot of competition and it's a forced bell curve. I spend a large portion of my time working to distinguish myself and grab projects from others so that I could get into the top 30% bracket... otherwise, you might get randomly laid off if the company is going through a re-org. Sometimes a whole team might get low review scores, just because another team was deemed more important.
    (Supposedly they dumped the review ratings, but they still rate you and use that to determine your bonus and promotions. And the bonus is still on a forced curve. Now they just don't tell you the score, but you can still figure it out based on the bonus percentage you get.)

Also, the SDE vs SDET thing is not the best, however, it should be improving. In the past SDE could dump garbage over the fence and SDET had to test, find bugs, help with fixes, and then get in trouble for slowing down the feature RI, or shipping date. The company is trying to put more responsibility on the SDE's for code quality, and if they succeed, then great! But I'll believe it when I see it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNope.

Very resourceful first internship!

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA (US)

ProsI loved working with the people in my team, and the company didn't hesitate to get involved with our projects and provide us with the resources we needed to make the best app we could for the summer. Also Intern Week = AWESOME

ConsThe company can be kind of distant, and the work you sometimes are tasked with seems miniscule in the scope of the product you are working on

You'll learn more in 1 year at Microsoft than you will in 5 years at many other companies.

Solution Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsCompensation is reasonable. Benefits are good--although not as good as they used to be. Work-life balance is reasonable depending on your role.

ConsYour ability to be successful in a sales role is strongly dependent on the random quota-setting process and how many of your accounts have renewals scheduled for their Enterprise Agreements in the fiscal year.

Best company to work for

Operations Lead (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsFlexible work hours, proper work-life balance

ConsSome time little unclear about the personal growth within the organization

An incredible company looking towards the future.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're someone with big ideas and are also interested in learning and growth, Microsoft is a great place to be.

ConsSome of the old school Microsoft employees are having trouble adjusting to the new Microsoft (even some executives) so you have to play the political game well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to clearly communicate Satya's message down the chain and not modify it to suit your own purposes, rather change your planning and activities to fit with his direction. Also, email distribution groups are now worthless.

Good environment and nice staffs

ProsGood environment and nice staffs

Consillegible accents from international coworkers

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!