Microsoft

3,709 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
3,709 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 859 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 552 reviews)

• Performance review system basically encourage competition inside the team (in 400 reviews)

More Highlights

3,709 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Great company to work for. Great benefits and flexible schedule.

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

The salary is great as are the benefits.

Cons

Are expected to work hard and work long hours.

Microsoft Research Intern

Former Intern - User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Intern - User Experience Designer in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It was my first corporate internship and I enjoyed what they offered to an intern.

Cons

However, the experience in Microsoft as a designer was a bit challenge. In the lab I worked, I felt engineers are a lot more dominant, compared to designers. In my point of view, my mentor designers were great, but the visual outcome didn't' reflect that. BUT! I believe the new CEO is quickly revamping the company and I will look forward joining them in the near future.

Great career development opportunity.

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Microsoft provides a good opportunity for a balanced lifestyle. The maturity of the company allows employees to work hard while also permitting time with family, friends, and for personal development. The benefits are great.

Cons

Microsoft is working hard to adapt to adapt to the changing development cycle for technology and software. However, they still lag behind competitors in terms of flexibility and willingness to experiment. It can be draining.

Teams needs to be able to operate more independently, with smaller, self-contained objectives. They need to be able to push changes and ship new features as they are ready.

Great company to work for, career opportunities in every team/group

Current Employee - Content Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Content Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career growth, Benefits, Salary, Team, Culture

Cons

Bad managers
    Too much useless processes/tools
    Political ineffective decisions

SDET 2 (prior to company reorg)

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Takes care of employees with good benefits. Lots of very innovative and intelligent hard working people to work with.

Cons

Work-life balance could be a little trying at times.

Program Manager

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

very good work environment work here

Cons

someone are not responsive to your email

Rapid transformation for a large enterprise

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are many smart, amazingly talented, dedicated and hardworking people across the company. The human knowledge base is one of Microsoft's primary assets, along with technologies. Many great ideas and technologies are beginning to be effectively utilized, bringing product improvements, new innovations and a new level of customer awareness as the company transforms.

Changing the culture of a large, global enterprise involves dealing with a high level of complexity - but the spirit of collaboration and cooperation has been adopted at the get work done level and is beginning to translate into better customer and partner experiences.

Cons

The new company values have not universally been adopted at the middle management level. Middle management bureaucracy, politics and overhead remain a roadblock to meaningful change. Rewards and recognition still come down to how well you market yourself - resulting from many years of the "internal competition" management approach that resulted in a inter-company and employee level dysfunction that has stifled innovation business evolution.

Changes coming from Executive Leadership are being rapidly embraced at the core "get work done" level of the company. But please consider, technology and technology based systems will solve many problems - but only based on how well technology supports the essential "carbon systems" that envision, build, operate and "buy from" an evolving commercial venture. The challenge is to fully utilize the human knowledge capital MS has assembled at all levels of the company.

Amazing People Doing Amazing Work

Current Intern - Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Intern - Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern:
    - lots of support from your team
    - the people here are very smart and willing to help you along
    - the work was helpful and related to school work
    - Work-life balance

Cons

- the negative perception MSFT has due to a former CEO
    - the workforce was shaken by the firings

Keep up the focus on mobile and responding to change.

Overall, a great place to learn and grow. However, politics can be stifling.

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Great package of benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401K, and employee discounts offered at a variety of local companies in the greater Puget Sound area).

Outstanding environment for career growth.

I loved the variety of cuisine offered onsite.

Flexible work schedule, depending upon the team and manager.

Cons

Politics can be stifling, particularly in the larger organizations. In order to survive, stay on top of your game at all times.

Focus on developing talent that shows potential, in addition to rewarding high performing employees.