Microsoft

3.5 2,950 reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella

2,956 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

ConsBrand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Microsoft is a terrific company

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

ProsA lot of opportunities to move around
big transition and re-org
big ecosystem
friendly peers
benefits
good work to life balance

Consbig company, I like this, but others may not.
There are times when it's super busy but it is not always busy.

Great

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat, fun place to work at. Good benefits, good work life balance. A lot of flexibility to move within the company. Microsoft was fumbling for a while, but they are now aligned to a single vision, and have high potential to execute.

ConsSometimes it can be daunting to move at this behemoth's speed. This is changing, should get better. If you are a leader, there is opportunity to make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture is changing, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The company feels now like 3-4 companies - a huge improvement over the 8 companies it used to be, but still not executing on a unified, single vision. Bing, MSN, search all your online offerings feel disjointed to product roadmap.

Microsoft is a great employer

Principal Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Cares about their employees
- Pays well
- Good work/life balance.

Cons- Some duplication
- Need to be more agile

MS is a great place to work

Senior Service Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, good career opportunities and great talent

ConsWork life balance, lots of stress in some positions

SDET

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWork Life Balance , great team , great skills to learn , new things you see everyday , great location , dont worry about parking or anything , in the middle of everything , helpful people , cool building , cool work environment , benefits for FTEs are really good

ConsLots of vendors stuck as vendors , some FTEs treat vendors differently , would wish to learn more open source technologies too , compensation lower than other companies but better benefits , medical plan was better 2 years ago

Great benefits and people if you can find them

User Experience Design Intern (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

ProsPay, stability, work/life balance (big corp, not held too accountable for much), Seattle-based, working with some tech legends

ConsLack of culture, feels stale, they're changing things up but there's only a few groups that have a great culture and you have to know what you want beforehand to get yourself there. Little impact, waterfall methods. Median age 40+

Good place to work, but politics and reorgs limit upward momentun

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, easy going work place, not super fast paced, great lifestyle company, can WFH or OOF often with little notice. Good pay for the area.

ConsReorgs limit promotions, Windows Phone is very hard to move up in specifically. Redmond/bellevue/issaquah area is tasteless. Most people are family oriented so not a great place to be young. Most emloyees are lifers and have preconcieved notions for how everything should be done -- limits productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop throwing people at problems and promoting edge cases. Stop using MSWord for specs -- there are much more powerful tools out there.

Its War. War with others on your team, war with other teams, war with other divisions. War with everybody and it sucks.

Senior Software Architect (Former Employee)
Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft as a contractor for more than a year

ProsAlways work to do and there is never a shortage of people who have software problems you can help fix.

ConsThey tend to hire a lot of Jr. level people and then have the Sr. people clean up the messes. Marketing is all powerful but doesn't understand technology. The most innovative projects get cut or filled with bad people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the stack raking n all forms, allow teams to work together to a common goal, stop hiring idiots to fill empty seats.

Very good job choice if you want to live and work in the greater-Seattle area.

Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

ProsBenefits are really good. Pay is competitive.

ConsPromotions are often shrouded in mystery without public announcements or acknowledgments. Intellectual horsepower, great teamwork, and delivering results above-and-beyond the typical employee do not result in rewards. It is usually a beauty contest amongst the few that are the personal favorites of GMs and CVPs. This is especially true for promotions from Level 64 (senior) to Level 65 (principal/director).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake promotions public and advertise your top performers at each level. Give public feedback on the specific examples on why those individuals were promoted This will provide employees with an objective benchmark of what the expectations are for work performance and delivered results.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft reviews and ratings in Redmond, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. All 2,956 reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees.