Microsoft

9,020 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,471 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 859 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 991 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 552 reviews)

• Performance review system basically encourage competition inside the team (in 400 reviews)

More Highlights

3,666 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Company is very forward-looking with the new leadership (Satya). Culture is rapidly evolving to be caught up with, or ahead of, the competition. Wide reach, with lots of opportunities to make an impact on the world.

Time-off is very flexible. Work-life balance is well managed on most teams.

Cons

Lots of legacy/historical process slowing down the company, making work frustrating at times. Currently a lot of churn to reach "ideal state" as quickly as possible (as mentioned in the pros). Company culture is still not very in-tune with the rest of the market and how competitors do their business at a tactical level, but this is improving in the last year.

A decent place to work in

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

work life balance is good

Cons

too much re-org
    leadership changes too often

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Exciting work, great pay and benefits, ability to use new technology. Microsoft is a place where you can easily move around to work on new challenges when you are ready.

Cons

Lack of free food that is seen in many tech companies. Health care is no longer free, but they do provide money each year to cover a portion of what you might have to pay, so you just have to save that up for 2 years to no longer have to pay anything out of pocket.

Provide free snacks.

Best company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

smart people and lots of things to do if you want to change fields or roles

Cons

Nothing major just the usual politics of a big company

Microsoft Windows Azure Deployment scenerio.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft Corporation
    Convenient location
    Software industry
    Windows proficiency environment
    always inventing new software

Cons

laid back atmoshere
    Simple departments
    Data Entry

None

very good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work with smart people, good process and competitive environmnent

Cons

big company politics slow down things sometime

open minded

Great company to work for...until recently

Former Employee - Princiapl IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Princiapl IT Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had too many good years at Microsoft IT to give less than four stars. Although with all the recent layoffs, the loss of market share, the pressure of the stakeholders and still no clear vision of the future, it does feel like it will get worse before it gets better. My highlights:

- Great people
    - Great benefits, competitive compensation
    - Great opportunities for personal growth: job responsibilities, training, mentors, etc...

Cons

My lowlights:

- Pressure from stakeholders makes profit go before people
    - MSIT under constant pressure to change with no articulated vision as to what IT should be causes constant reorg churn, org tweaking, role changes, that just changes people from being the main asset to a pion you can just move around
    - Still no vision of the future. Cloud first, mobile first is so large and vague, it means everything and nothing, basically, it means we will go where the market goes instead of where they think it is going and what they want to offer.

To MSIT Management:

- Please develop a vision already, it's been 3+ years.
    - Indecisiveness at the leadership level on how IT should run and be organized just puts the middle management in difficult position. Hard to have career conversations when orgs and roles are in constant churn

Good experience and culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free drinks, morale events, generally professional and courteous attitudes, high level of talent and professionalism among employees

Cons

24/7 on-call responsibilities for Azure, although rotations are much less frequent than at many web services companies