Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
Employer Engaged

Stable, safe place to work - pity about the middle management bickering and senior management lack of imagination

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Very stable work environment where you can find a niche and develop over a long period. The level of stress and intensity of work can to some extent be as high or low as you personally choose.

Cons

Poor senior management and a middle management that constantly infights, jockeys for position and bickers. Part of your job as a non-manager is to avoid being tangled in this infighting.

Get over yourselves. Stop making kneejerk reactions to competitive fads - instead focus on delighting customers, innovation and real investment in customer success. Ballmer is no strategic leader - he's a sales leader and without Gates is unable to articulate a vision for the future of Microsoft.

Great place to work under the right team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

great pay and benefits and depending on the team, hours

Cons

easy to get lost in the sea of people

make sure to keep the community and camaraderie in teams

Awesome Place to Work!

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in North Sydney
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in North Sydney

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Great benefits, definite growth potential, and the people are second to none. I've made a lot of lifelong friends here. It was one of the best experiences I've had yet!

Cons

Due to the sheer size of Microsoft there is a bit of bureaucracy you have to negotiate, however things do get accomplished and change does happen just a bit slower than most would like. Other than that it’s a hell of a place to work! Two thumbs up!

Keep up the good work!

Very political place to work

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft Australia in 2006-2007 had some great opportunity for making money, as it was an emerging market that hadn't been tapped at all. Customers were just glad they had someone to talk to. Really enjoyed the customers I worked with and built relationships with.

Cons

Most of sales management had no experience in actually selling and had just been promoted from another group to run sales. I found my manager to be more of a hinderance in the sales cycel rather than an asset. Sales managers spend their time crunching numbers and manipulating spreadsheets and don't actually spend any time in the field selling or helping their reps.

Hire some people from outside Microsoft to be in management. Continuing to hire people from within just perpetuates an already incestuous environment.

The best and the worst place to work

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Access to a lot of information and good knowledge sharing - you can learn a lot and develop yourself. You also get to work with a lot of smart and diverse people.

Cons

Probably the most selfish place to work - backstabbing, politics, and everyone climbing over each other to stand out from the rest. The company is bloated, with too many managers, so you know the competition is fierce. You are not rewarded for performance but for how you play the politics. For such a "stand out" company they are incredibly disfunctional and inefficient - it is little wonder the software is bloated and troublesome - it is a direct reflection of the organisation.

About 50% of the management, at all levels, should quit. Stand aside and allow more competent people to take on the challenges. And if you do decide to stay - get rid of the empire building, remove the barriers to allowing groups to work effectively with each other.

Thoughts after 10 years....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop.

2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice.

3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.

Cons

Brand on Your Resume: After many years of losing market share and struggling to be at the front end of innovation and the fact that there's 90,000 employees, don't think MSFT is necessarily going to be attractive on your resume to more agile and smaller companies.

Managing Your Career: Make you say this out loud so it registers - 90,000 employees work there. Double that for vendors. It is VERY hard to "stand out" and move up in the company. Don't expect your manager to be much of an advocate or enabler to help you meet your career goals - they are basically trying to survive the stack rank every year too. Not familiar with the stack rank? Check out the 2012 Vanity Fair article called "Microsoft's Lost Decade".

I'll type it here - but I don't they are listening...
    1. Help proven talent move laterally in the company for new opportunities.
    2. Kill/evolve the stack rank. Here's basically how it's viewed:. 30% of the company gets 1s and 2s - and they are happy. 50% get 3s and that basically feels like getting a "C" in school. This sucks for talented people when a multitude of UNCONTROLLABLE conditions keep you from getting into 1 or 2 range. The 20% getting anything below a 3 are walking dead. In summary, 70% of the company walk away from the review cycle feeling like crap. This is no good.

After 10 years, I'm leaving - it's just a matter of time until I find the right opportunity. I need to find a company spends 90% of it's time building technology experiences, as opposed to 90% of its time building PowerPoints. And I expect to refuse the exit interview - because if you really cared what I thought, you wouldn't ask me after I decided to leave.

great company

I worked at Microsoft full-time

Pros

Work satisfaction: Lot more important and cool work.
    Technically Strong People:

Cons

artificial stack ranking and forceful messaging based on it.

Focus on right people as mgrs.

9 years later...

Current Employee - Account Technology Strategist
    Current Employee - Account Technology Strategist

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible for work styles. Good paycheck with security for the company

Cons

A lot has changed in the last 9 years, when I signed in our benefits were unbelievable and now they aren't that bad but it takes a lot of work to maintain the hsa plan and now I have like 4k a year of out of pocket expenses which I did not receive a pay increase for. Also if you're not at the mother ship in Redmond it's not the same experience.

Help those who help you and make sure you listen to what the field is saying. Give the field the same perks those of you who live in Washington get. Don't look at us like we are sub standard just because we don't go to the campus every day. We in the field keep the place going too, you know?

Great company

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Strategy of the new CEO is solid, confident, believable. Future of Azure and O365 is very strong. Good compensation with quota attainment.

Cons

Not a professional sales organization, this is a product company with much of its revenue coming from legacy products.

Many of the sales leaders are puppets, or become puppets and don't get involved in deals. This is a challenge in competitive situations where other company VP's actually give a hand.

Great company, great benefits, great people.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nearly everyone I worked with was friendly and professional. I've had a few managers there and they were all fantastic. The department I was in was exceptionally run, although our product struggled to get off the ground. Late nights were few and far between and I felt that I had complete control over my schedule most of the time.

Cons

As an SDET, not all the work was that interesting. We got stuck doing a lot of manual tests since vendors weren't budgeted for our department. Also, sometimes it felt like we were all waiting round for something to happen. Which was boring

Keep up the good work, my stocks depend on it.