Microsoft Reviews

3.8
7,957 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights

Enterprise sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

The most amazing people, very supportive culture, zero micro-management, ability to work on cool projects and get exposed to very senior leadership are the best things about MSFT. The company is doing great things at this time and employees are quite inspired. Company's stock has performed very well in the past few years and the salary and benefits are quite aggressive for new hires. I personally was positively surprised by how cool the company was as compared to my original perception. Perhaps, this is the result of the new CEO.

Cons

As a new employee you are very likely to get a bit overwhelmed at first by the amount of information you receive. This passes, however.

Don't stop doing what you are doing!

Challenging, broad

Current Employee - Principal Software Design Engineer  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Design Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are two things about Microsoft that make it top notch for software engineering.

The first is the focus on the business. This may seem counterintuitive but the business focus is an excellent lens through which to look at software design and execution. I previously worked at a company which was arguably a better engineering company but the lack of business focus led to software projects not having longevity and ultimately to the collapse of the company.

The second is the people. It's said that if you are a jazz musician and you're the best in your band, you need to change bands. There is very little danger of topping out in Microsoft. There are always excellent skilled engineers to challenge you.

Cons

Microsoft leadership stalled for a decade or so where more focus was paid to just business rather than a balance of business and engineering. The top echelons of compensation are epic; competition is fierce and winning is defined by profitability which has led to thinning of the product herd to only the most obviously profitable (or necessary) investments. Satya's leadership has hope of changing this but when you see references to Microsoft's environment being "toxic" this is the root cause with the old stack ranking system in a supporting role.

Work life balance is clearly your problem. If you are ambitious and/or energetic there is always benefit to trading the work/life balance for work but it can eat you alive. Do not look for your organization to guard your own work/life balance, it's up to you (as it should be but be cautioned).

Stop the focus on profit even if it has negative ramifications on stock price. Use a lower stock price to reacquire ownership of the company in a stock buy back. The competition is growth and share focused, not profit focused.

SDE II

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) II  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (SDE) II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Microsoft cares for you and wants you to be successful

Cons

Sometimes your peers are better at doing politics vs programming which is unfortunate but I guess any place with this many number of people is bound to have this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top heavy but an amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Optical Engineer  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Optical Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility in your schedule is simply amazing. Great pay and benefits. There are opportunities to take your career to any direction you desire.

Cons

way too many managers and poor communication

flatten organization. Promote communication between groups

Overall amazing experience, perfect internship!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Pros

One of my favorite parts about Microsoft is the amazing work/life balance. At work, all of the people in the office really encouraged me to grow and learn as much as possible. I had the chance to pick my own summer project and was challenged the right amount. They also plan tons of cool events for interns which made the experience even better, especially the signature event!

Cons

Pretty standard office environment, I was lucky to work in a revamped open workspace, but some buildings still have closed off office format which doesn't work well for everyone.

Pays decently with nice benefit/perks

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is good compared to other companies in the area. Medical benefit is still one of the best and provide nice perks.

Cons

work/life balance can be little better.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Program Manager II  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture, Talented Peers, Opportunities, Benefits

Cons

Bureaucracy, Risk Aversion, Territorial Management

Encourage collaboration and failures

Has been a great place to be a Service Engineer

Current Employee - Operations Service Engineer  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Service Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You work with some of the smartest folks on earth and from all over the world. This company is aware that you have a life outside work. Even though we were expected to work hard there was understanding when I had to have time away for other interests. I have enjoyed feeling like the work I do in the Windows Team had a global effect. I have never been ashamed to say I work at Microsoft.

Cons

The challenges of working with the annual review system that has taken more time and resources than it ever should, often changes but never really seem to address the problems inherent to the system. Managers that have never learned to manage and others who are great and yet do not get the recognition that they deserve.

Value your workers, find a way to recognize the amazing value that you have in your personnel. Make them all proud to be there and listen to them before you makes sweeping changes.

Generally good pay and benefits with semi-exciting projects to work on.

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Base pay and benefits are good if you know how to negotiate. I feel in general the culture and company as a whole tries to do the right thing and act like a responsible tech company. I like the matching program where any of your donations are matched 100% up to a certain amount.

Cons

What folks say about the political environment is generally true. It seems that getting things done can take longer than you think it should at a tech company. I am hopeful with Satya at the helm things will change for the better.

For middle and upper level managers I would say get a better pulse of what your IC's are thinking.

Moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Senior Content Publishing Manager  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Content Publishing Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is excellent. Work-life balance is what you make it; always been fine for me. Benefits quite good, but medical not as good as it used to be. Culture varies from group to group; my current group is excellent.

Cons

The company doesn't have quite the creative edge it once did. Sometimes it blunders big, yet manages to survive because of its sheer size and wealth. Management above a certain level tends to lose sight of reality, so can end up doing the wrong thing, like laying off and rewarding the wrong people.

Keep driving the culture shift. Make the things Nadella says show up as truth for the ground troops, not just rhetoric from the CEO.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!