Microsoft Reviews

8,429 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella
1,129 Ratings

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 820 reviews)

• You will get the opportunity to work with smart people solving real world problems (in 964 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not good in some places but it really depends on your role (in 537 reviews)

• Review system that pushes people to look out for themselves instead of being team focused (in 395 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting place for young professionals to build their career

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- A lot of support for young college hires to gain experience and get your foot into the career
    - Culture is changing. Satya is really getting our culture direction is the right direction

Cons

- People don't believe in us.. frustrating to see it in the media
    - PMs...... too many of them doing mindless / useless features for their own job security
    - MSIT absolutely sucks

I think management is going on the right direction - removing stupid "processes"

Great people, going through lots of change

Current Employee - Solution Specialist
    Current Employee - Solution Specialist

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some amazingly talented people at Microsoft and working with them is a pleasure. The sales environment is getting more high-pressure, but still nothing like what you hear from other places. They froze S-plan (sales people) base salaries and upped OTE by 8%, I believe, but the quotas are getting staggering. Everyone on my team has a quota over $10M. You can make a comfortable living and have good work-life balance.

Cons

A lot of transition means searching for answers. First it was Software + Services, now its Cloud First, Mobile First. There is a huge push to begin LOB selling, but unfortunately Microsoft doesn't sell much in the way of business solutions, it sells plumbing, so actually figuring out what to do is a struggle sometimes.

Quotas go up but customers remain the same, so its squeezing existing customer bases for money. Audits are up and customers are not happy. High quotas mean its tough to be too much over 100%, so payouts are limited.

Microsoft is increasingly left behind - going into a customer to talk about Windows 8 Apps and Windows Phones while everyone has an iPhone and an iPad just underscore how out of touch Microsoft got and quickly it was passed by.

Focus! Don't try to compete everywhere. Cut Windows Phone and focus on selling software on all platforms - Android, iOS, etc.

Average place. Not a place for innovation. Too much politics.

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance. You can go through work without much effort.

Cons

Too much politics. Whatever happened to meritocracy.

Fire all people who are not technical and into politics.

Microsoft

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Use of latest technology. Good perks.

Cons

Too big of an organization. more agile/startup mentality is needed

Satya N. pushing for culture change. Middle management needs to change.

Great compensation, fixing mistakes, in a culture where you can have a life outside work

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people managers who understand how to give their employees excellent work-life balance. Challenging projects to work on that affect the lives of often tens, or even hundreds of millions of customers. Great changes in the last year to fix culture problems and crazy inefficiencies where the same thing would be built independently by different teams. A removal of leadership who led to the creation of poorly-received products. Incredible freedom to move between product groups to try new things with management that supports such moves.

Cons

Problematic PR which still flubs the message of otherwise-great products way too frequently, and a devices strategy that's taking way too long to produce great high-end phones. Love the Surface Pro 3 though.

Keep moving in the direction of the last year. Listen to JoeB. But get rid of the ridiculous amount of middle-management in OSG.

Great place to work with brilliant individual contributors but less than stellar middle management

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer Lead in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyday is a new learning at work. The people around, especially the individual contributors, are mostly very smart and there is hardly any day when you don't feel like you are not being challenged.

Cons

Leadership can sometimes hold you back. Too many people who have been here for a really long time are occupying positions in middle management without making much of a difference to the product/people. Many of these people are too rigid to change and are opposed to any semblance of a change. This is usually the source of slower innovation. I am however optimistic with the arrival of Satya though. He is making the right noises and backing it up with some sound decisions.

20+ year career, varied experiences, the company where I "grew up"

Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with large number of opportunities to gain experience, excellent compensation package, Challenging environment pushes you to produce good work.

Cons

Depending on the team, can be overly political and slow. Culture is very entrenched and slow to change. Performance model legacy leads to negative behavior

Performance Model is the biggest negative for working at Microsoft. It discouraged teamwork, and was demoralizing for personality types that do not enjoy self-promotion. The new model is heading in the right direction, but implementation is unclear and it doesn't appear management is totally bought in.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Microsoft really cares about employees, growing them and setting them up for long term success. I spent over 8 years at Microsoft, worked with some of the smartest people I have met, had a lot of independence, and the work was really fulfilling. Hours were sometimes long but rarely crazy. Pay is excellent. Benefits are among the best in software companies (I would pick top notch health care, tuition reimbursement, prime discounts and legal plans over free dry cleaning and free food any day).

Cons

Different divisions at the company having different perspectives can be demotivating and disappointing for both customers and employees. It is hard to influence top level strategic decisions even if you're pretty senior. If there's one thing I'd change at Microsoft, it'd be to make it a requirement for different divisions to work collaboratively.
    In spite of being a great company that has transformed the world with its products and services and contributed to so many good causes, Microsoft was never perceived to be cool when I worked there and the press and the perception can sometimes make you feel bad.

Please find a way to hire excellent people to Microsoft, especially experienced candidates. The company I joined seems to do a much better job of hiring and retaining experienced candidates. At Microsoft, I saw many people with years of industry experience really struggle to fit in with people who'd spent many years at the company.

excellent work environment.

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than an year)

Pros

healthy and motivating work environment

Cons

nothing really. no issues to comment

Program Manager

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Good boss, good projects, great place to work

Cons

Annual performance review system was bad, but in process of changing