Microsoft Reviews

3.8
8,096 Reviews

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Satya Nadella

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance compared to other tech companies of the same caliber (in 688 reviews)

• Tons of super smart people working for the right reasons - to make a difference (in 893 reviews)

Cons
  • And there are times when the workload may impede on your work-life balance (in 476 reviews)

• The previous stack rank review system encourage a behavior that was very much individualist (in 369 reviews)

More Highlights

A constantly evolving work environment that supports continuous growth.

Former Employee - Operations Engineer II  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer II in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you ever decide you're bored with a given technology or modality you have tons of opportunities to move around and try something new.

Cons

This company is becoming more political each day. More and more red tape and arrogance on the part of management is slowing the wheels of innovation.

Great place to work if you don't mind the slow pace.

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Desingner  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Desingner in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Microsoft cares about your work/life balance and does a great job keeping you happy.

Cons

Very difficult to work on a remote team. If you're outside Redmond, you bang into the ceiling very quickly.

Find a balance between the engineering-led culture and the need to innovate. Leadership needs to embrace visionary ideas and bring design into the fold at the highest level.

Comfortably Uniique

Current Employee - Program Manager II  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

With the diversity in Microsoft and the ability to move across teams, disciplines and geographies is liberating. For all the hate Microsoft may get it has mostly positive, smart and understanding leaders.

Cons

Roles can sometimes be confusing. A program manager can end up handling too many things internally and focus very little externally. This leads to product confusion.
    Also even though its a very large company, it competes with hyper focused competitors where the leadership is crystal clear on the are and the number of people working on it may be much more.

Continue being open and help people understand the strategy internally. There are far too many cynical people inside the company who do not understand the strategy and this is something that is extremely harmful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

20 Years at Microsoft

Current Employee - Director  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When I joined Microsoft in 1992, it was one of the most innovative companies in the world. Lots of fascinating work with very talented people who had a very strong drive for results. I was extremely well compensated with stock options, stock grants, salary and bonus. I created 8 new products and was awarded 36 patents that generated over $2 billion in verifiable incremental revenue for Microsoft.

Cons

Microsoft's strategy and focus were much clearer in the early 1990s. Opportunities for personal growth existed everywhere. Today there are fewer opportunities today for people who want to be major contributors. Some of this is part of becoming a larger company and reaching the end of the PC era, but much of it is risk aversion. The PC era is ending. A new era is also beginning. This is opportunity. If you want to be great you have to take chances. I am all for mitigating as much risk as possible. However, you will get the same outcome if you keep using the same old strategies.

The changing role of the PC and Windows is an opportunity to create a new and even stronger company. However, it means change. Microsoft has many valuable assets to leverage to create the next generation of Microsoft. I believe that you have the talent and opportunity. Now execute on it.

Large Corporation with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Public Relations Manager  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Public Relations Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The size of the company allows one to gain broad business experience in many areas. The team members are generally quite collaborative with the new HR rating system in place. Lot's of opportunities to experience overseas travel and work assignments.

Cons

Change in leadership means an era has passed in the company's structure and mission, not sure how the new era will unfold. Opportunities still abound, but with no key business area of domination, similar opportunities exist in smaller more nipple companies. All in, positives outweigh an negatives

Publicize employees ability to work on side projects, both technical and volunteer. Show more examples of the company's technology's impact on the world i.e. natural disaster solutions, education solutions, medical solutions.

Like the place

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place, bright people. Like the place

Cons

Large organization. Sometimes hard to cooperate

Good Employer.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cannot think of any. Everything looks goo.d

Cons

Work life balance is good. Co-workers are nice.

Review system to be more transparent.

Great People that challenge you everyday!

Current Employee - Human Resources Director  in  Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We are challenged to be self critical which always opens opportunities for improvement.
    I have had the opportunity to innovate in many áreas!

Cons

Sometimes we don´t know how to prioritize

Managers at Microsoft are very good People managers, they DO invest time in their teams, their priorities and development

It was a good company

Former Employee - Principal Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good career path for someone in my position. Learned a lot

Cons

Too big of a company. Slow to move and takes a while to get things done.

MSR Silicon Valley is an amazing opportunity for Ph.D students

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Microsoft as an intern for less than a year

Pros

World-best researchers in an academic-like setting, minus teaching / administrative duties. Think of professors at a top-5 school, but instead of grad students the researchers collaborate with each other. During summer, there is higher than a 1:1 intern to researcher ratio. The researchers have research they were wanting to do, but didn't have the manpower to. This is your opportunity. After the internship, there is good follow-up, and for me this led to a published paper that became a part of my thesis.

Cons

An internship does not provide any extra advantage for future employment at MSR. The place is just too competitive. .NET is highly encouraged (if you like to choose your own languages).

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!