Modern Woodmen

Updated 12 February 2015
Updated 12 February 2015
3.8

W. Kenny Massey

Rewarding experience; great company and culture.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in South Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in South Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Independence, tremendous support from management and home office.

Cons

Lack of training on advanced products.

More training and provide some sort of stipend for first year agents to assist with brand recognition.

The best job and most fulfilling experience I have ever had

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My favorite parts of working for Modern Woodmen are:
    1. Working with people and helping others
    2. Education: Modern Woodmen pays and encourages continuing education and training, monthly, quarterly and annually to enable the sky as the limit as far as your financial education and practices go.
    3. Flexibility: I am an entrepreneur and business consultant. I run a start-up, consult other business owners and entrepreneurs and it all rolls into my practice with Modern Woodmen. I am able to run my start-up, help others with their business practices, while at the same time, assisting them as clients with growing, protecting and properly planning their personal, family and business goals.

Cons

The only two cons I have seen at Modern Woodmen is:
    1. Not having a base salary. There is a $2,000 draw that you are eligible for, where you can receive $500 every Friday to keep you rolling. This is credited to your account and as you close sales, your commissions will repay the draw.
    2.BDA (Business Development Allowance): Your first 2 years you are eligible for BDA Bonuses, but they are capped out at $2,000 per month. They are 50% of your commissions, so, for example, if you do $10,000 in sales in one month, you will receive $5,000 in commissions. The BDA will give you 50% of your commissions, in this case $2,500 would be your BDA for that month. Since the BDA caps at $2,000 per month, your $2,500 BDA this month will only pay $2,000, the other $500 will roll over to the following month. The following month, you will receive the $500 BDA. Now, if you continue to hit over the $2,000 BDA every month, then it will keep rolling over. This is a good problem to have, but on the con side, if you make $20,000 in one month, you will not receive all of your bonus credit that month. On the bright side, this can be used sort of as a "Paid vacation" where if you have BDA rolling over every month, you can take a month or two off and still receive your $2,000 BDA that have been rolling over every month.

Set up a draw for new agents early on. Having access to capital will make agents more mobile and more confident. Since it takes a few months to settle into this new, amazing, career - having access to this capital without worry will lower stress and make the transition easy, showing higher results early on. I can not speak for all regions, but our region in Cary, NC has amazing company cultures. The company, as a whole, being Fraternal has amazing benefits and company culture. The Cary, NC, Doug Polk region has amazing management, company culture and open door policies that have allowed me to come in, get out of previous debt from a failed start-up and become the highest selling agent in the region, in just 3 months. In November, 2014, I received an award for the most business done in the nation. In August, 2014, when I entered, I was in debt $10,000 and had a rough start. They listened to me, put faith in me and gave me the resources and confidence I needed to now be the highest selling agent in the nation for the entire company, last month. This month, my numbers are even higher and we still have one week left. I hope to accomplish this award every month, but so far, I know I will have it at least 2 months in a row and that is greatly related to the training and values I have learned from our management team. This is my dream career and I will be doing this for the rest of my life, I know that because I love the job and the people. I know I will be happy here for a very long time and I trust my family and friends to be invested in this company, as well.

Good Experience

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

I increased my communication skill.

Cons

It was hard for me to find a client

Lack of Training/Management/Supervision

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best benefits in the industry when it comes to 401k, pension plan, health, dental, vision insurance
    Fraternal system can lead your way into sales with daycares and schools.

Cons

After you are hired it is all about the next hire for your Region. Management is trying to get the new agents up and running so existing agents are literally on their own after a month or two. Compensation is 100% commission so with a small company that isn't well known it is very challenging to get in the door. No leads or "book of business" are handed to new agents so you are starting from the ground up from your contract date. Turnover is extremely high due to new agents not being able to make it financially within the first 3-6 months.

Possibly reform the compensation package to attract new agents like signing bonus, salary, etc.

Good Career Opportunity, Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Control your own schedule, health insurance and pension plan provided, 401-k available with match, Fraternal Business Model allows you to give to the community, work with people of great integrity.

Cons

Home office employees lack understanding of what field force challenges are, Management favoritism/legacy building is rampant, Focus is on increasing # of managers rather than supporting existing reps and current managers, Product offering is limited.

Listen to recordings of agents calling the home office...you might be shocked how disrespectful some HO staff is and the inaccurate information given. Cut the number of Regional Directors in half, half of them aren't producing anyway, use the savings to increase agent and managing partner compensation/support. Managing Partners are the ones who recruit new reps, make that a more attractive position and provide more support to them.

Sales with little training

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and potential for great income if you get properly trained on products.

Cons

Lack of training on products and services. Must train yourself with little help from management.

Working for Modern Woodmen of America has been better than all the other insurance companies I have worked with.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Besides having great products to offer my clients, Modern Woodmen is a fraternal company which provides $30 million every year for us to use in our communities. This is great fir the communities, our members, and has the effect of great marketing for us.

Cons

There are some additional products I wish we had to sell.

Listen to the field reps for new products to meet market demands.

Great Company...Client Focused. Good career opportunity especially if you plan to work in the middle America market.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Madison, MS (US)

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fraternal Company, Good Training for New Representatives, Very Good Corporate Citizen, Supports Representatives Giving Back to Community, Defined Benefit Plan Funded by Company, Excellent Medical & Dental Plans, 401K

Cons

Not as much support for seasoned representatives...more focused on newer reps, Relatively low commission rates compared to industry however benefits are good, Annual "Incentive" trip is basically a glorified sales meeting usually in a great location but the time is filled with meetings.

Recognize that established reps need support too, Reduce amount of time spent in meetings at annual conference or stop making reps qualify, Promoting as many Regional Directors as possible doesn't make sense...they aren't the ones producing. Reduce the number of management in the field and increase agent compensation/bonus.

Great Place To Work!

I worked at Modern Woodmen full-time

Pros

Great pay and training! Managing Partners are terrific at what they do, and are always willing to help. It feels like a mom and pop shop.

Cons

All commission from the beginning. Maybe have a base plus commission for the first year. If you don't have a market, you won't succeed.

Keep on doing what you are doing.