Molina Healthcare

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 22 November 2014
Updated 22 November 2014
2.6

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 9 reviews)

• Good Benefits, good vacation and flexible time (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Worst work-life balance I've ever had the displeasure to experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nightmare in Tallahassee, FL

Former Employee - Drug Rebate Analyst I in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Drug Rebate Analyst I in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The small staff are hard-working and task-focused. The new office supervisor was wonderful. We were a great team.

Cons

Sick leave & vacation leave are lumped together, so if you want to plan a vacation or a little time off, just don't get sick & stay out. So stressful. No opportunities for promotion. Those great benefits & perks? Your paying for it. Anthem BCBS covers only the basics & you can rack up huge medical bills before you know it. All management (but 1 person) are out of state. Communication is by phone, email (a 'ton' every day!) & IM. Very impersonal & it was easy for KL & AC to be rude & demeaning when not face-to-face. Teamwork was not encouraged. If one employee wanted to help another employee, I was told "no, it's not your job". I know that Molina is an awesome company. But the Tallahassee Drug Rebate program is poorly managed, The turn-over rate is evidence. I can't imagine Dr. Molina would ever treat his staff this way.

Management should treat staff as educated, hard-working and dedicated. You reap what you sow. I was interviewed over the phone. One of the questions asked was "What do you expect from management". My answer was, "Appreciation for a job well-done". After they thought I was no longer on the phone, I heard KL tell JB, "I hope I don't have to send her flowers every week". My instincts told me to withdraw my resume. But I wanted to learn new skills. The very first day on the job it was obvious that the staff & supervisor were miserable & they had no reservations about verbalizing this to me. I thought that they were just young & ungrateful & I would make my own decision. It was the most torturous 20 months of my life.

Decent Job

I worked at Molina Healthcare

Pros

Benefits are OK - but you earn your pay

Cons

Disconnect from leadership - don't listen and unwilling to fix problems.

Listen to staff - stop the leadership politics! Talent is leaving

Life/Work balance

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time

Pros

In my experience, Molina offers an appropriate life/work balance. Salaries are competitive and benefits are decent. Good place to start out. Employees are kind and helpful.

Cons

There are too many chiefs at Molina. Constant restructuring and reorganizing. There is no room to grow, as the level of open positions are Senior leadership positions and minimal to no mid-level management. Constant fear of job security.

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are the only good thing at this company, which you will need, because working here will send your health and well-being right down the toilet!

Cons

The supervisors and management are allowed to treat the employees like dirt.

A company that tries to keep it's employees focused on it's core value of helping people

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Molina actually flies all new employees out to their corporate site for several days to introduce them to the company. Employee recognition through a program called Leaf of Thanks. When a employee was given great service or did a great job, a fellow employee can recognize them through a internal website. When you earn enough points you can use them for gifts.

Cons

Since corporate is on the west coast and there are sites on the east coast scheduling of meetings or getting hold of someone is a dance because of the 3 hour difference.

No credit, always lies!

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pretend to be nice at the beginning.

Cons

They always lie about everything.

Was not a very good work life balance

Current Employee - Helpdesk in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Helpdesk in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working Monday through Friday

Cons

Terrible management and favoritism

Bring in a real management team that is fair with everyone.

Very political.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Trenton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Trenton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not many. They have a company picnic occasionally. That's about it.

Cons

People in the software division don't even use Source Control, because things are very political and hide their projects in the software department. Also database administrators often sabotage data.

Very political. They have two teams in the software position. One is new because the other team could not meet a deadline with a product. The other is just pointing fingers at our team, and trying to screw our team out of a job. Unfortunately the managers are very biased and political in their assigning of issues. My hiring manager and director were fired before I came on board.

They fire people constantly here. And they don't assign work to our team.

They also don't give people the technical resources to do software jobs (computers, which don't have terminal licenses, are far in between). They don't go for Microsoft Gold Certificates (getting people certified for free software).

People need resources to do their job. The evaluations are handed down from the CFO, which is the CEO's brother. I think John Molina is a good person, he's a doctor in charge of the Medical Department.

I think if their heart is in the right place. However, the evaluations are not. If there is no money for software,. machines, bonuses, etc, than don't make people responsible for adding financial value without giving them tools to do their jobs.

RUN!

Current Employee - HCS Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - HCS Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are decent, great if you want to work 60-80 hour weeks, nothing else I can really put in this section

Cons

Old boys/girls network- promotions dependent on who you know, not on your work product- do not fool yourself! Texas should adopt the corporate values about work-life balance, HR is so employee friendly they are actually anti-management, which means management has to try to get staff to meet productivity and quality goals with hands tied behind their backs. Upper management agrees with you until they get flack about something and the next thing you know, you are the fall person. Watch out for directors and VPs who take credit for your work.

Replace the entire upper management team. Move corporate office to Houston where you can actually find people who will do their jobs. Rebuild Molina corporate culture in the Texas business segment, recognize people for their contributions instead of hiring your buddies, there is no such thing as work-life balance.

Awesome great pleasant nice energy.

Current Employee - Member Services Representative in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Member Services Representative in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everything hours pay superviser pto.

Cons

Nothing its great here love it.

Nothing amazing