Molina Healthcare

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina

J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 8 reviews)

• job security, average pay package, good benefits, just like working in DMV or public sector company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Mid- and senior management are complete morons (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

If you want to be treated like an adult, keep looking

Case Manager (Current Employee) Pomona, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits. Compensation is OK.

ConsWork hours totally inflexible. You can not change your hours no matter if you take a half hour lunch or not. Period. And breaks are to be on schedule. Talking is highly discouraged. You will be reminded a thousand times of your "work hours". You can't listen to a radio, or even have your cell phone on your desk. Unless you're one of the favored ones. Then you can do what you like. Not enough or no providers to send members to. Referrals take forever. Members should not have to wait so long to get service. Which is why they don't choose Molina.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour line workers line your pockets. Treat them with a little more respect. They can manage their time. They don't need to be so regimented. They can turn a radio off when a call comes in. They probably have more education than most managers. They can manage the simple things. Give them something to tell them they do a good job. You just got rid of "Above the Branches". Which lets them know you seriously don't care. The work place in Pomona is awful. Try to do something to make this building at least a little better. When the air goes out in the summer and its over 90 degrees inside, they should be able to go home to work. Without your line workers, you have no company.

Finance Intern (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsThe people at the Molina office in Milwaukee were very very nice. At times, they were not all inline on the collective goal of the organization and there were flaws in some of the processes and structure of the organization. When I left they were going through a large change in their management team and appeared to be heading in the right direction.

ConsA lot of the flaws stemmed from views and action of the top management team. The 7 months I spent there were filled with constant changes in the personnel of the top management team. The previous management did not seem to know how to keep the Milwaukee branch in line with the goals of the parent organization but things seemed to be heading in the correct direction as I was finishing up my time there.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Molina is a good place to work.

Graphic Artist (Current Employee) Bothell, WA (US)

ProsBenefits, life-work balance, lots of time off

Consunderpaid, does to much internal stuff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissatisfied, they don't care about their employees

Project Manager (Former Employee) Augusta, ME (US)

ProsOffer good benefits. Do offer training and promote from within. If you conform to 'their' way, you can go far.

ConsLeadership is ineffective. There is blatant discrimination throughout the company. The morale of Maine employees is at an all time low, rather than trying to improve it, they just ignore it. Good employees are leaving. HR representation is a joke. Molina does not care about its employees, their only focus is on money. They literally drove me out with a bully boss and created a hostile environment for everyone in my department.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time listening to your employees and follow through with their complaints.

I am hoping I will like the company better if/when I can be promoted out of the call center.

Member Services Representative (Current Employee) Bothell, WA (US)

ProsLow cost personal health insurance. The history of how the company came to be. The Molina family. I was impressed with their ideals when visiting the corporate office.

ConsPerformance being graded solely on numerous stats/matrix. If you don't meet their extremely high goals they are very quick to write you up. Being monitored every minute of every day. Constant reminders. Half hour lunches. Not enough time to go out for lunch. Very rigid schedules. Difficult to develop comrodery with co workers because all breaks and lunches are scheduled for you each day. No time to blow off steam after a crappy phone call, the next one comes whether you are ready for it or not. And there are many crappy phone calls when you are administering Medicaid. Very stressful job with low pay and perfection being expected of you every minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating call center employees like they are children. Trust your employees more and treat them like the intelligent adults they are. I understand phone coverage is priority in a call center. However, the entire staff is not going to just get up and take their lunch and breaks at the same time. The schedule could at least be to take lunch during a particular hour but not down to the exact minute. Recognize an employee's worth based on experience and pay them a living wage. Recognize that some of your requirements just don't make sense. Required statements/scripts during phone calls that do not follow the natural flow of conversation.

Proceed with caution

ProsCo-workers and middle management care about the quality of the work - their own and the mission of the company.

ConsCorporate is out of touch with the state health plans. Genuine and compentent executives are few and far between. Decisions are made based on personal agendas and nepotism rather than on sound business.

Molina could be much better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsSalary was comparable. Good co-workers.

ConsLeadership is no longer effective. There is blatant discrimination throughout the company. The morale of employees is at an all time low, rather than trying to improve it, they just ignore it. Good employees are leaving. HR representation is a joke. Molina does not care about its employees, their only focus is on money.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership should listen to their staff.

Molina Medicaid is Resistant to Change

Manager IT (Current Employee)

ProsThe Molina Healthcare culture from the California parent company is great - the company values its employees and goes out of its way to make people a part of the team and focus on Molina's customers.

ConsThe state Medicaid group is stuck in the past and refuses to change. New ideas are ignored and new employees are regarded as not understanding "how we do things." Transparency across the Medicaid group is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the past and realistically assess the Medicaid environment.

Review

Quality Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGood Healthcare company to work for

ConsNot into remote workers, genaerally

Molina is a good place to learn

Intern (Current Employee) Bothell, WA (US)

ProsInnovative and adaptive, the company is definitely growing as many companies are during medicare expansion. We have one of the largest provider networks in Washington which makes dealing with prospective providers easier. The work we do is rewarding.

ConsSome managers and bosses do not interact with their employees well. Communication is a two way street and everybody should allow transparency when possible.

Worked for Molina Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!