Molina Healthcare

Molina Healthcare Reviews

Updated 14 December 2014
Updated 14 December 2014
2.6

Molina Healthcare Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Molina Healthcare of California J. Mario Molina
J. Mario Molina

Pros
  • Pay is decent and benefits aren't bad (in 9 reviews)

• They have good benefits,nice people to work with and chance for growth (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Promises are made for advancement and not kept by upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Worst work-life balance I've ever had the displeasure to experience (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service in Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talk to a friend who likes her job.

Cons

Medicaid is tough work and you need training.

Not recommended for the long haul

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I don't know where all the people writing positive reviews worked, but they're not describing the place where I worked for eight years. Working here is like being an intern. You don't get paid much, but hopefully you'll learn enough to go somewhere else and make a living wage.

Cons

The pay starts off bad and it only gets worse. Don't bother applying for internal promotions, because you won't be paid what outside applicants would be paid for the same job. I know several people making below the minimum of their positions salary range. Also, HR has a policy where they max you out at 10% of your current salary for a promotion. So if you get a significant promotion, chances are you will NOT be paid what the position is worth. And with annual raises between 1-3%, you will fall further and further behind the market trends. I know, because when I finally wised up and left, I was offered the same position at another insurance making $28,000 per year more. That is not a typo. I had three internal promotions in eight years, and they screwed me over every time.

Treat internal candidates by the same rules as external candidates.

Trouble in Tampa upper management Urealistic and Uncaring

Former Employee - Health Manager in Tampa Palms, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Health Manager in Tampa Palms, FL (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and CEO is a doctor

Cons

Large caseloads, unrealistic expectations. If you do a good job they recognize you by giving you more work. No life work balance. Time off is a joke if you are on salary. If you take time off then you still have your work facing you when you return. There are lots of people leaving because they are overworked and unappreciated.

Look at how many people have left in the last 6 months. Treat your employees with respect and give realistic expectations for work assignments. Stop adding more requirements and streamline the documentation process. Upper management makes the job impossible to do. They just put everything on the supervisors and in turn gets added to Health Managers already full plate. There are no plans to try to keep good employees. They are blind that so many have left and more will continue to leave under this type of leadership. There is a real problem and no one is trying to fix it.

horrible culture, ethics, work environment

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

a job that pays and some some beneifts

Cons

management is horrible
    the hvac doesn't work
    employees stab each other in the back
    corporate culture does not bleed to local culture of this office
    pigeon holing
    middle management is clueless and their hands are tied on all matters
    i could go on but you should have an idea by now.

quit or get fired- either way, just don't be there. you suck at managing anyone and should all diaf.

Abusive and Poor Management

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Trenton, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Trenton, NJ (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours are good. Company provides water and coffee. And they allow you to use the bathroom as long as you do not use it from 8 to 9 am, 12 to 2pm, 4-5 pm. If you need to use the bathroom during the time slots they tell you not to go but if do need to go you need a doctors note!!!!

Cons

Manager is biggest stumbling block. No focus, takes credit for your work. Manager tells you good job but then immediately points out some trivial flaw in your work which makes you not want to work harder. Lack of leadership. Expect 1-2 percent raises if all goes well. This is how expenses are kept down. Bonus is 75 percent company determined and 25 percent employee driven. Why work hard if you get 75 percent irregardless. Abusive and accusatory culture permeates the company. Need to dot your i and cross your T well.

Get rid of management. Need some people with more experience and know how to motivate people.

This has got to be the strangest place I haveever worked

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, decent pay. The president of the company is the coolest guy ever!

Cons

After you have received absolutely NO training at all. They take you into a room and evaluate you. They point out everything you have never been taught and make you feel like crap. Once you finally get the hang of things, mind you, because they have finally taught you something by criticizing the crap out of you (Criticism is your technical training). At your next evaluation, they tell you everything you've done wrong again...while you feel like you have helped the world, and have worked very hard....Management can't see it for being so focused on the negative. It is very sad. They seem to promote people based on how easy they are to work with, instead of promoting those who are qualified and really deserve the job. Also, I always feel like, somebody's watchhhhing meeee.......And I have no privacy. Most people I have spoken to are disgusted. It would behoove you to stay to yourself in a place like that. They go ask people if they want to be promoted instead of posting jobs so everyone has a fair shot. It is almost equivalent to the Stepford Wives.

Promote people based upon their knowledge skills and abilities.

Claims Adjudicator

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Patience, persistent and Investigative, Growing, and Accepting

Cons

Hesitant, naive and unassuming, Old Fashion, Unbending

Be Open

GOOD

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time

Pros

PTO and flexible hours for fulltime only

Cons

Some managers and bosses do not interact with the employees

nothing

Data Entry

I have been working at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy helping people in need

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Take a look at how your management is running your company. Just because they are hitting numbers doesn't mean they are treating your staff they way they deserve to be treated.

Do NOT Work For This Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Molina Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for this employer in two locations: Washington and California. I can't say enough good things about the WASHINGTON locations. I felt valued and respected as a team member and I felt the management was really trying to better the culture of the company and respect their employees.

Cons

However, the experience I had working for this company in CALIFORNIA was the exact opposite. The corporate culture was oppressive and inflexible. I was illegally fired when I was 7 months pregnant after over a year of being shifted around to various positions that were well below my skill level because the company couldn't get it together enough to finally start the position I was transferred to this location for. I was repeatedly treated like I was an inexperienced and low-level employee, despite having education and experience higher than many of the management staff. I feel that this company, in general, does NOT respect its employees and I would not at all suggest that anybody take a job here if you want to feel like you're a valued member of a team.