MoneyGram International

Be The First To
Add Photos

MoneyGram International Chairman & CEO Pamela H. Patsley

Pamela H. Patsley

Pros
  • The only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment(in 6 reviews)

• Most of my co-workers were great team players and really good people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of politics within the company(in 4 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced about the industry(in 5 reviews)

Unprofessional and mediocre

(Current Employee)

ProsThe only 2 positive things I can say about MoneyGram are work-life balance and office environment. There is definitely a good work-life balance in the company due to the fact that people are not engaged so most of the employees are working 9 to 17.30 and are out of the door by 17.31. The office environment is also great, brand new building in central London with free beverages and biscuits.

ConsFast paced in a bad way. Decisions are made in hurry, then never finalised. People are not competent in most of the positions, they are not passionate about what they are doing, management spend little time on developing people, which have an impact on the atmosphere. Loads of employees are on the peak of their career, especially the ones who came from banks, burnt out, just wanting a quiet job. Culture is extremely american orientated, you have to be American and being based in Dallas in order to be in a decision making position. Don't be fooled by the job title and the salary as the company is very top heavy which makes managers (even directors) find themselves in a team of one, doing the kind of job that more junior staff is doing in other companies. No room for sharing ideas or challenging decisions as Americans decide about everything and they only need people who execute their decisions, in countries outside of the US not even directors have a decision making role. Structure change almost every month, high turnover in every areas. Lots of politics within the company. Reporting lines don't make sense most of the time. The worst company I've ever worked for, the only reasons I give 2 stars are the office environment and the work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some basic management classes and realise that you need to give feedback to your employees, invest time to coach and develop them and give them more work where they can add a value. It's not OK not to complete performance appraisal and not setting up objectives. Get rid of the consultants, they are just milking the company and the quality of their work is often questionable. Give the project work to employees so they will be more engaged as they will feel that they learn something at MoneyGram. Make people involved in the business decisions, be a lot more transparent. Do whatever is the best for the company, not whatever is the best for some privileged upper managers. Choose the best person for the job, not the one who is the nicest but have no qualification or experience to do the job.

Just okay

ProsOffice Culture is unique, Some perks are worth, retirement benefit is not a choice you have to or they sign you up, Cubicle placement is good, Teamwork is great on some teams

ConsCommunication is lacking at times. There seems to be a disconnect for those that have the information. No cross training, Not may changes for promotion. Some training is a must. Putting irresponsible employees in charge of getting information to everyone.

Great until I was terminated, taking the fall for a manager.

Workflow Director (Former Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsMost of my co-workers were great team players and really good people. The Benefits were good and the environment was laid back but productive.

ConsCorporate didn't understand the teams that were not located at headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people in the trenches usually know what's going on, listen to them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience (8 years) with MoneyGram has provided me with great international business skills

Finance (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGetting visability to a true Global Corporation and how it functions across many countries, cultures, and languages.

ConsVery siloed enviornment. Cross department interactions is limited and at times, resented.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting costs, doesn't make a stronger company.

Had great opportunities to gain experience and business knowledge

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Lakewood, CO (US)

ProsWorked with a great team, great friendly enviornment. Had some employee appreciation events.

ConsThe people running the company were not transparent in their changes. There was an enormous amount of change in a short period of time, employee moral was low due to rumors and uncertainty in job safety. Outsourcing.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees, especially those who aren't in the upper levels. They are the front line of the company and make the money that pays our salary. Keep them informed of changes, their lives outside of work should matter. Many of these people have dedicated 10+ years to the company and their input on policy, procedures and changes were never considered. Maintain jobs in the U.S, company quality is going to signigicantly decline now that customer service is completely outsourced.

Global fast paced atmosphere

Accountant II (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThere are a lot of projects going on; it is easy to get involved in

ConsDisconnect between systems and reporting

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key

bad place work

Prosbenefit ony. but no longer available

Conslow pay. center is closing. co workers low wrok ethic

Long time veteran and enjoyed every single day during my employment

ProsDiversity is strong. Great leadership from upper management. Employees have a great rapport with each other.

ConsNot much transparency. Global restructuing leading to more outsourced jobs.

Growing out of control

Human Resources (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsAmazing people, profitable company, work-life balance

Conslack of control, lower compensation, very lean

It's all about MoneyGram

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people in the trenches are great, hard-working, smart, innovative, adaptable, etc. There is a strong work ethic, and in the 'right' department, you will find a work family.

ConsSalaried employees will find they are on call 24/7. The company is filled with many new employees or even long-term employees who never received proper training and thereby suck the life out of anyone with any knowledge of how the business actually works or how to resolve complex issues. MoneyGram does not care about or value its employees as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementShipping all the operations jobs overseas won't work well and dangling the 'promise' of a nice little package (so the current employees will stay to train their replacements) at the end without actually inking the deal is not conducive to a collaborative, effective environment and transition. The learning curve is vertical.

Worked for MoneyGram International? Contribute to the Community!