Monsanto Company

Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant

Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest(in 46 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align(in 29 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking")(in 16 reviews)

It's the culture

Systems Administrative (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThe culture promotes open communication and sharing of thoughts and ideas.
    Management tends to be very approachable with a lack of ego and condescension.
    Relaxed atmosphere and reasonable HR policies.
    Very much a team oriented work environment.
    A relaxed environment but still very little tolerance for dead-wood employees.
    After a year or so, it's comparatively easy to make lateral moves to other departments and broaden your skills sets.

ConsLabor is predominately contractors....challenging to land a full time job there.
    You could work there for 3 years and still be a contractor.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour lower management manages to be both people oriented as well as mission oriented.
    They balance pursuit of excellence with compassion.
    It would be best to continue down that path of encouraging such management style.

Great experience

Seed Process Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsAs a co-op, I was given plenty of responsibility and I gained a lot of great experience there. Great company to work for as it offers great compensation and benefits, the employees are really down to earth and passionate people in general. Great work life balance as well.

ConsThe only downside to working in Monsanto is probably the constant negative publicity the company receive in the press due to the genetically modified crops that it is utilizing and the various farming practices it is trying to implement. Personally, I support the development of GMO and farming productivity in general, but the publicity is quite annoying sometimes.

Good place, hard climb

Customer Operation Specialist (Former Employee) Morges (Switzerland)

ProsGood balance work / life - good salary and dynamic environment (Switzerland office)

ConsNot always good communication among departments. Difficult to upgrade position.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute better the resources.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crop Intern

Crop (Current Employee) Monmouth, IL (US)

ProsLearned a ton of valuable information. They provided great knowledge with cutting edge technology. The management at the Monmouth farm really allowed a lot of freedom and trusted us with our jobs.

Really enjoyed the experience and value the information I learned during that summer

ConsLong hours were sometimes tough but always were taken care of.

Great place to work!

Proscompetitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest

Conssenior management is sometimes too biased towards certain group of people; your talent may not always be recognized if you can't speak up for yourself

A great, innovative place to work.

ProsThe work is challenging and there are plenty of opportunities to develop new skills through cross-project collaboration.

ConsThere is a tendency to favor a pipeline mentality, that, while efficient, is less flexible in meeting rapidly - changing research objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership sees way too many polished PowerPoint slide decks from mid-level management in R&D that often don't reflect the data or technical challenges of a project very accurately.

Monsanto is a challenging and enjoyable place to work.

Planner (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsInteresting problems to solve. Other perks besides salary.

ConsMatrix structure is sometimes hard to understand and navigate.

Excellent work culture, excellent benefits

Fixed Asset Accountant (Current Employee) Creve Coeur, MO (US)

ProsGreat work-life balance, great work culture, great benefits

Conscareer growth is a little slow. Very hard to get a job there.

Experience has been fari

ProsCompensation, benefits, and training.

ConsWork life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align. To deliver results work life balance must often be sacrificed.

Hard Work Doesn't Pay-Off

Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture is one of the best parts of working with this company. Most of the people are very friendly, and the company is very diverse. They also have lots of networking events that provide employees with a chance to meet new people and learn about other departments. They provide many training seminars and business opportunities to help develop individuals into better business professionals.

ConsOffice Politics are one of the biggest con about this job. It doesn't matter how hard you work, you still will not be noticed or promoted. Jobs and promotions go to people who have built key relationships, not those who work the hardest. At times it can feel as though you are trapped in your position, and you just get overlooked.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better jobs of creating loyal employees out of workers who do their best for you. Without loyalty you cannot build a strong work force. You can definitely build a team that is functional, but pay attention to the happiness of your employees.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!