Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated 31 October 2014
3.7

Monsanto Company Chairman and CEO Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant

Pros
  • competitive salary; great work-life balance; flexible enough to grow career in the area of your interest (in 52 reviews)

• Monsanto takes care of their employees from the standpoint of excellent pay and benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is the motto but in reality business expectation do not align (in 32 reviews)

• Tendency to work long hours, and lots of political games (the company calls this "networking") (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities and training, very much focus in safety. Good DPR (Development Performance Rewards) system. Great benefits and excellent salaries.

Cons

Lost of politics, you have to be good with your boss no matters what, if you are not nice with them you are dead. Whatever your boss said is not form him, it comes from upper management, you can not said anything before consulting, too much micromanagement, everything has to be approved by your boss, bosses are looking for their own success and do not care about their direct reports, they take your work done to be recognized and promoted

You have to make valid the Monsanto Pledge for all employees and not only for the ones in the lower levels

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast moving, agile company. You are able to really direct what you are interested in working on. Great pay and time off benefits.

Cons

Not a lot of extra time to work on additional projects. Must be able to juggle a lot of responsibility. Job changes frequently, even without promotions or compensation increases.

Stop expanding roles and responsibilities without pay increases. Jobs grow larger several times in a year, with no additional compensation or promotion.

A truly Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Leadership, Opportunities for growth, Great benefits, Overall compensation is competitive and good. Offered care and concern for my family during a personal health emergency. Access to Sr. Leadership in my organization. Summer hours (1/2 day every Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day)

Cons

You have to work very hard...all the time. Once you perform at a Superior level, you are expected to always perform at that level. For some, it can be hard to navigate the matrix

More work/life balance, continue to reward people for hard work (even in tough years because the work doesn't stop),

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monsanto has an excellent office culture emphasizing work-life balance and truly focuses on individual employee development more than any other company I have worked for! Company has GREAT benefits, fair and equitable promotions and salary, and is all around the best company I have worked for and will ever work for!

Cons

No cons about working here at all!

Continue focusing on creating a great place to work and keep employees centric! GREAT JOB!

Monsanto- a REALLY great place to work!

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love working at Monsanto for many reasons. Monsanto values work-life balance, we have a great vacation schedule, we have summer hours on Fridays. Monsanto leadership truly cares about me as an employee- i'm not just a number. Monsanto inspires its employees to have the courage to speak up and share their opinions and views. Monsanto cares about my development and wants to see me succeed and gives me the tools that I need to continue developing. Monsanto has a fantastic 'Total Rewards' package that is pretty hard to top! Monsanto allows you to be who you are.

Cons

It would be nice to have a better parking situation- or bring the shuttles back.

Continue to share your thoughts and vision with your employees. Having a transparent environment is so important and valuable.

Monsanto has a great culture and work environment!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Monsanto cares about me as an employee and as a person! Very concerned about my safety and well being! Leadership cares about my professional development and offer opportunities for growth. Compensation is very fair and annual incentive bonus potential based on company and personal performance is an added perk! Monsanto is like no other company I have ever worked for in my 22 year professional career! It's one of a kind, truly best places to work!

Cons

Some (internal) training opportunities are limited to size/space restrictions and you are on a waiting list for months - would be nice to offer additional classes to accommodate additional learning opportunities. Although Monsanto offers excellent health/welfare benefits, my biggest dissatisfaction is with having to utilize Express Scripts for prescriptions.

I thoroughly enjoy my role, but additional "training" sessions to learn the business and about GMO's specifically would be welcomed. I would encourage and challenge you to consider moving away from Express Scripts as an exclusive provider of prescription drugs. I think if you did a pulse check with the employee population, you would find that this is the biggest negative impact on employees as it relates to the benefits offered - it is my one and only major complaint.

Great Place to Work!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Morges (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Manager in Morges (Switzerland)

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company! Great people! Colleagues and leaders are caring. Lot’s of freedom to do the job. I had several very satisfying career opportunities. I can develop myself in Monsanto.

Cons

Tons of work! Difficult to prioritize.

Make processes more simple and integrated that would save time for employees. It would help to improve work life balance.

Culture, Work Life Balance, Great Leadership!

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This is the first company I've worked for that really supports collaboration, transparency and work life balance. People are friendly, supportive and all about teamwork, regardless of function.

Cons

It seems like a significant portion of the staff is hired as contractors, and it is difficult to tell how long it will take for an opportunity for conversion to a full time direct hire. Knowing that you don't get the benefits, bonuses and perks as direct hire colleagues who are doing the exact same work can be a bit demoralizing after a long period of time.

Monsanto is truly an AMAZING place to work!

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

During my working career I’ve had the opportunity to work for 2 of the best employers in the St. Louis area. What sets Monsanto apart from the other company is how much they value my work and more importantly how much they value me as a person.

The flexible work arrangements allow me to spend more time with my family and participate in my child’s school events. I’m very thankful for this benefit because my child will only be young once and I don’t want to miss a moment of something important.

The talent at Monsanto is top notch; my working environment is filled with innovative thinkers, strategic planners and leaders with a global vision.

Cons

Do I work hard 40 hours a week? Yes…but hard work at Monsanto also comes with praise and rewards. When I joined Monsanto I was pleasantly surprised by the culture. For the first time in my corporate career, I was receiving praise from my lead. Tasks that were “expected” of me by my old employer became a value added skill at Monsanto. The encouragement and enthusiasm extended to me by my lead inspired me to complete great work and speak up with improvement ideas.

When I joined Monsanto, I was only thinking of a career…the confidence I have gained in addition to the time they have invested improved not just “me” as a worker, but also as a person.

The work-life balance sets Monsanto apart from other companies. The open door policy keeps communication transparent. Keep the encouraging words flowing and continue to challenge me with new assignments.

Should be on Forbes Top 100 Places to work!

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Exposure to all functions of the business
    People care about your development and want to see you succeed and grow
    Strong Company Values
    Several Town Halls per year so you can learn what is happening in other functions besides your own

Cons

Non Competitive Maternity Leave Policy

Keep up the great work!