Motorola Mobility

Updated Jul 18, 2014

3.1 1,472 reviews

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

Pros
  • For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California(in 121 reviews)

• Very flexible work hours as long as things get done(in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions(in 95 reviews)

• Was an excellent role and the hours were perfect for getting a good work/life balance(in 23 reviews)

1,472 Employee Reviews

Good learning environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsVery open environment, as long as you are self-motivated, and what to learn new technologies and skills, the company won't block u from learning it.

ConsA lot of snacks, water and soda. Lunch is not provided, you are on your own. It would be great if there is a gym inside the company.

Too much uncertainty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat, smart people who want to get Motorola back to a leader in the market. Great benefits.

ConsToo much change and uncertainty with the acquisition by Google then by Lenovo to get long-term strategic work done

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace your talented people

Awesome Work Culture

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsLearning, Employee Friendly Environment, Free to take responsibilities and decisions, Very good work life balance.

ConsThough I have heard some teams have hectic work schedules but did not notice myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue the good job! and few managers should allow room for employees to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic!..Until things started going bad

Customer Service Operations (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsSmart, driven co-workers, fast paced and always changing.

ConsLay-offs are common since technology and competition has passed Motorola by.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box. Advertise Motorola's products.

Recommended!

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Tanggu, Tianjin (China)

ProsGreat place for a young professional with two or three years experience. Clear and formal process. Good reputation

ConsWith the formal process there, people in finance department cannot expect many challenges,nor the chances to growth from solving problem

Advice to Senior ManagementMore rotation opportunities may bring challenges and dynamics many longed for

Good company, but morale had been decreasing

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL (US)

ProsLearned a lot as a new hire from college
    Culture and morale was at the highest when I first started in 2006
    Opportunity to travel to many countries to support product launch
    Co-workers were cool and fun

Cons2008 company started to have multiple rounds of lay-offs and morale decreased
    Multiple reorganizations within the company every 2 months or so

This review is for the Motorola Home (now ARRIS) division. Classic top heavy politically driven corporation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsExcellent compensation and benefits. You don't have to work particularly hard if that appeals to you but there are lots of people who do. Some really excellent talented people work there and do their best despite the chaos that sometimes prevails.

ConsLeadership team does everything but lead. Never seem to complete a goal, in a constant state of flux. If you're incompetent and can hide well, you've got a career for life. You are always in a firefighting mode, Constantly introducing new standards and best practices but never followed to completion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable, including your upper management. And practice some honesty in your communications.

Toxic Environment

Product Manager (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL (US)

ProsExcellent pay
    Excellent benefits
    Excellent work/flexibility arrangements (come in later/earlier; work from home when needed)
    Great opportunities to build skills up until the last 2-3 years.

ConsToo much sexual conversations out loud in work areas
    The more layoffs occurred, the the more toxic the environment (back-stabbing)
    Flirting and sexual harassment accepted (if you don't participate you are an outsider)
    No work-life balance; you must be available over lunch, after hours and on weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementBreathe, relax, then bring back camaraderie
    Need a 360 feedback loop to get feedback on middle management & project leaders the same way you get feedback on working level
    Don't always trust the words of the person closest to you (or always smiling in your face), they may have a motive for what they say
    What promotion?

My team at MMI was great, but the company as a whole lost its way years ago.

Performance Optimization Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsI worked with great people and had a great manager who set goals but left you alone to achieve them. As an electrical engineer, I worked with very competent, dedicated colleagues. MMI has come up with technically excellent handsets like the X and Droid MAXX, but Apple and Samsung have vastly greater marketing budgets.

ConsThe once- or twice-yearly layoffs since 2007 got to me after a while - they're energy- and morale-sapping. So did the lack of a successful winning strategy on the part of the senior leadership team. I hope that Lenovo can end the endless downsizing, but I doubt that it can and suspect Lenovo will end up just slapping the Motorola brand on made-in-china products.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm afraid it's probably too late to turn the company around, at least in its current form.

Hard to predict the future, but has potential to be an extremely great place to work

ProsDepending upon the group and job function, there can be a decent work-life balance. Some are allowed to work remotely, despite the directive from upper management to be in the office all the time, but the rule being bent is highly manager and job function dependent. A lot of good people to work with. Potential to learn a lot if you meet the right people. Downtown office is beautiful. Snack rooms have been stocked regularly and there's a nice game room. Many believe these smaller perks will change after Lenovo comes in.

ConsCompany isn't making money, so there's a lot of uncertainty.
    You have to be your own champion if you want to get promoted.
    Training is group dependent, but you'll also need to be your own champion if you want professional growth. Can be hard work and long hours if the weight of the organization is thrown at you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees below the glass ceiling (below Director level) rarely ever see upper management mingle with other staff. Spending an hour in an unrecorded session to get in touch would be nicer than in a townhall setting. Many are apprehensive to speak freely when it's viewable to everyone in the org and in front of so many people.

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!