Motorola Mobility

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.1 1,478 reviews

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

Pros
  • For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California (in 122 reviews)

• Very flexible work hours as long as things get done (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions (in 95 reviews)

• Was an excellent role and the hours were perfect for getting a good work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights
1,478 Employee Reviews

Good Place to work

Senior Principal Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsVery good engineering talent, very good work culture with in the teams.

ConsToo many program managers asking for status updates.

Feel like we are in the final straight

Director (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsStrong leadership team, very collaborative environment, great products that are really starting to get momentum.
    Industry leading software team and getting Motorola first to market with Android plus adding new features that are really useful vs. gimmicks.

ConsLots of change - mostly in the right direction, but it's not for the faint hearted.
    It's sometimes hard to get things done, as some processes no longer work, having been built by people no longer with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to learn more about Lenovo's plans for the future.
    Keep shipping great products and everything else will fall into place.

Research Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent Work Culture. Flexible life

ConsPublication is tough. Work load.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only Way Is Up!

Project Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat People who are focused on the Company being successful...fun products - disruptive in the market-place.

ConsUncertainty of Lenovo acquisition...fear of dilution of Motorola Mobility Brand....Motorolan's have huge pride in & for their company...to erase / loose the brand would be another US Industry tragedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember "Made int he USA"? That holds sway in the US marketplace....let's not loose it with by being structured incorrectly in the marketplace.

Still a good company despite uncertainty in the looming Lenovo acquisition

Principal Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsSmart people, interesting projects and cutting edge technology if you pick the right group. Good work-life balance, flexible work schedule. Convenient access to VTA light rail (public tram) and CalTrain. Motorola products are on the upswing and the company has a promising future.

ConsStaff are anxious about the Lenovo buyout and what it will be like post-Google. Some people abuse the work from home perk, and still plenty of dead weight. Managers have their favorites and you would be disadvantaged in performance reviews if you're not on their list.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around and know your ground troops instead of always relying on your direct reports. They filter the truth you know. Also, the flexible work schedule is a valued benefit and employees with families highly prize it. Don't drop it otherwise you'll lose folks like me.

Excellent

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsVery good Work culture and excellent workforce

Consuncertainity
    periodic layoffs
    periodic aquisitions
    management changes

Very good atmosphere

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsVery good atmosphere to work , clear vision

Conslayoff , company downsizing and no personel growth

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Large company, never ending reorganizations

Software Manager (Former Employee) Linköping (Sweden)

ProsSmart people but no clear path where to go with products and roadmaps. Great colleagues, good salaries and benefits.

ConsLarge and divided company, consisted of many small fragments or departments. No clear direction fro the whole company. No vision.

Like a roller-coaster - volatile, thrilling, rewarding, nail-biting ...

Director, Product Management (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsWith a work-force that has been culled down to a small fraction compared to 5-10 years back, the caliber of the veterans and new entrants brought in under the aegis of Google is very high. Great perks if you participate or lead initiatives that create visible results. Approachable management. Flat structure.

ConsIn the current environment (pre-lenovo), a lot of sub-optimal, aspirational initiatives and confusing strategies have left most folks in a state of confusion. With high-caliber individuals (and their key initiatives) competing for visibility and resources, "tooting one's horn" is a much-needed skill to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions seem to be few and far-removed. With frequent organization churn, several individuals contributions, experience and achievements are getting over-looked. Need to have a rewards process that can accommodate this churn.

Mixed

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsHeritage of innovation.

ConsConstant change, no growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake money

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!