NBCUniversal

NBCUniversal Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke

Stephen B. Burke

Pros:
  • "Great people and countless opportunities if you can navigate the bureaucracy to locate them"
    in 27 reviews
  • "They provide useful tools on how to cope and be successful in our work environment"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours that is dictated by show schedules"
    in 20 reviews
  • "I question if senior management of my department has any clue as to how systematic the problems are"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Never wanted to leave

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt is just such a huge, powerful, and amazing company I was just in awe of being there every day. I got to do so many fun things that I did not even mind waking up super early and having a long commute. I got to go to talent appearances, movie premieres, press junkets, and watch movies...and was paid for it.

ConsA lot of down time because they don't want to give interns big important tasks (understandable)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake room for more entry level positions so interns can get hired full time!

Excellent place to get your foot in the door

MSNBC (Current Employee)

I have been working at NBCUniversal part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast-paced and surrounded by hard-working people, I always felt like I was accomplishing something and being productive when I worked here. The people were very conscientious compared to some other networks that I have worked at. Definitely my favorite network to have worked at.

ConsThe money is competitive compared to the competition, but raises and bonuses are hard to come by. For a company steeped in making entertainment, there were not many perks open to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize employees by opening the door for them to access more of the content they create, be it the theme parks, shows, or memorabilia that their hard work produces. In the past, a lot of corporations structured something around involving employees and their families, yet in all of my time here, I saw nothing of the sort. Make this more of a place that employees want to integrate into their family somehow.

great experience, but they don't really know what to do with interns

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsBig company with a lot of opportunities. I have the chance to work in multiple departments and gain a lot of experience.

ConsA lot of times you have to search for work, they don't know what kind of work and intern can handle and sometimes don't know what jobs to give out.

Great company to be a part of

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsAt NBCUniversal there's always room to grow and expand and network, which is a big plus. Even though it is a large company there is a sense of community and family. The company offers great perks and treat employees well.

ConsIts a big company - easy to feel lost in if you don't network appropriately and reach out. As an intern especially, you have to work hard to make yourself seen and heard, and to prove your value.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the little guys!

Fun

Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat opportunities and growth available.

ConsWith a large company sometimes promotions are harder to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor

Intern: NBC's Washington Bureau

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NBCUniversal as an intern

ProsInterning in D.C. with NBC News was truly an experience of a lifetime. NBC doesn't just treat interns like college students, they allow you to prove yourself as a journalist, producer, or whatever your interest may be!

ConsCan't really think of any!

Associate Producer

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company, good pay and benefits, occasional happy hours and parties. A lot of young, talented and interesting people.

ConsLove the company, hate the management. If you try to be creative, you will not be heard because the people above you tend to make final decisions and usually do what they want to do without thinking outside the box.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, they were hired for a reason.

Production Intern - Morning Joe

Production Intern - Morning Joe (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at NBCUniversal part-time for more than a year

ProsWorked in a fast paced and dynamic environment with a lot of great people, including: the show's production staff; writers; bookers; hair and makeup; and the hosts. Equally exciting was getting to meet newsmakers and celebrities everyday at work.

ConsWaking up at 3:30am to be in the office by 4am, but you get used to it so it really wasn't that bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay of interns to $15hr or keep the current pay of $10 and give interns an unlimited MTA pass.

Hard work, long hours; totally worth it!

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at NBCUniversal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe talent level is elite, the resources are infinite, and the attitude is as Type-A as you can get. This combination of traits creates a team atmosphere that allows each of us to individually strive. The benefits are what you would expect of a company of this size, while the perks are actually much more uncommon, as there are constant opportunities unique to only the TV, film, and content provider industries.

ConsAs previously mentioned, the hours are a bear. We can be a bit understaffed at times, mostly due to turnover amongst the younger employees. This can cause an overwhelming workload for many of us, especially during peak times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to reduce turnover by offering more competitive compensation and focusing on promoting from within. While the latter is certainly a positive at the moment, there can always be more reward for employees who perform well.

An excellent experience!

Ad Sales Intern (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at NBCUniversal as an intern for less than a year

ProsEasy-going work place, family atmosphere, energetic pace. Definitely carries clout and is a great foot in the door to the company itself or as a reference for other jobs.

Conslots of grunt work and being passed assignments no one else wants to do, they are not shy about saying they're too busy to do something and it's your problem now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely need better communication between departments!

Worked for NBCUniversal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NBCUniversal reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NBCUniversal CEO Stephen B. Burke. All 459 reviews are posted anonymously by NBCUniversal employees.