www.ncr.com

Updated 2 March 2015
Updated 2 March 2015

NCR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Nuti
Bill Nuti

Pros
  • Management team speaks frequently on maintaining work-life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great option for female employers as there are work from home options (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge for most employees since this is truely a global company (in 42 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance - Working from home is actually discouraged, and frowned upon (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy not to be there any more

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at NCR full-time

Pros

Big company
    Trust their employees
    Good for people who like working for Corporate America

Cons

Too centralised
    Very little power given to the regional branches
    Senior management not interested in the mid and low level employees

Repackaging old technology won't save your business

Service Delivery

I have been working at NCR

Pros

Developing self service technology and shaping the world, Incredibly hard working team who are willing to go extra mile

Cons

Dealing with and managing offshore departments.

Listen to the people and improve processes.

Customer engineer

Former Employee - Customer Engineer in Sydney
    Former Employee - Customer Engineer in Sydney

I worked at NCR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

NCR IS GOING DOWN as a result of mismanagement specially at customer level

Cons

NCR does not follow policies they have created

go get some skills and stop running enterprise organization like a playground

Don't bother

Current Employee - Customer Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Customer Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at NCR (more than 10 years)

Pros

there are very few pros to this company

Cons

no work life balance
    reducing benefits every year
    abusive management
    no wage rises no bonuses
    high work load
    phone calls day and night weekends holidays

get in touch with the employees and stop reducing conditions

The go no where career

Current Employee - Customer Engineer II
    Current Employee - Customer Engineer II

I have been working at NCR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job is pretty simple to lock down, offering such a low salary they clearly don't have high standards. You will be furnished with a vehicle and remote engineers will rarely have face time with their manager giving you the illusion of autonomy.

Cons

Poor Salary, Hard to get time off, work-life lines get very blurred as you are expected to be available on the phone on and off shift.
    Poor parts quality and availability makes you look incompetent to customers, at first you may be able to laugh it off but when it becomes something you plan for (ordering multiple quantities planning for failure) it's a bit upsetting.
    NO CAREER progression, at all, don't even consider asking about it.

Listen to the people on the ground, the people who interact daily with more customers than you know you have, the people who wear the NCR brand on the breast for 40+ hours a week all across the country/world. Make them happy and the image of the company will grow a lot. Phones disabled after hours, career development, performance based salaries are all ways you could improve the organisation for the employee

Challenging and interesting

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at NCR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always challenging and many opportunities to grow

Cons

Too few do too much.

Bulk up to support growth areas

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Sydney

I worked at NCR

Pros

The fellow associates are the only reason why anyone would work there. Also you need to be the right cultural fit for this company - you must not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Free loading gets spotted quickly which is a good thing.

Cons

Company Politics rife, too much hierarchy in senior management, cost takeout instead of growing the business, only interested in making shareholder numbers

Vision is the number one priority of any company and unfortunately NCR failed to succeed - its a shame it was a great company some time ago.

Ncr a great place to grow

I have been working at NCR

Pros

High salary, was like being CEO of your own job, structure, fellow managers

Cons

Company does not give credit where it is deserved

Be personal about people and professional about business

Greatness to obscurity

Former Employee - St Customer Engineer in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - St Customer Engineer in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at NCR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NCR has a long and venerable history with many great achievements. Training was one of their great hallmarks. Customer Engineers will see daily variety if you like a job that doesn't stay behind a desk.

Cons

Training has been reduced to viewing CD's whenever you can find time. 24x7 On call is a never hassle. You are a tool or a part for them to use to make a profit. Management vision is small.

A great place to learn the basics. Not the best for advancement.

Former Employee - Software Support Technician III in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Software Support Technician III in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at NCR full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was a call center technician for the Aloha POS software solution. During this time, I learned quite a bit about Windows; more than I thought I knew.

The tools we have for remote support are excellent. They are developed in-house and make connecting to a customer's site both a breeze and a pleasure.

I worked with a great group of people. We always had fun together and always worked to help each other out.

At the time, my manager did support my efforts at contributing more to the team. Even though I was not getting paid more, my manager's consenting to my contribution to the team helped me grow as a technician.

This company offered the best work-life balance of any company I've ever worked for. By far. If you opted for it, you could work 4 days a week for 10 hours as a software support technician. This schedule is absolutely glorious.

Cons

My transfer to another department was blocked. I was not the first person that this is happened to, and I know for a fact that I wasn't the last. Advancement, at least from a technical support position, is incredibly hard.

At the time I worked, there was quite a bit of personal drama floating among the group.

The pay is low and woefully inconsistent among technicians. Some the finest troubleshooters on the floor were earning $33,000/yr, which was lower than the people they were solving escalations for.

Management seemed to pick their favorites. This, for obvious reasons, did not help morale at all.

We were understaffed. There were too many outstanding tickets and not enough employees. Credit card related escalations required technicians with a very specific in-house certification, and management was in no hurry to promote more technicians to satisfy this requirement and backfill their positions.

Radiant Systems was acquired by NCR. NCR had a pay-grade system, but didn't enforce it for Radiant. As a result, people were getting paid far lower than their NCR counterparts. Completely unacceptable.

Pay your support staff well. They are an important face of the company and work hard to ensure customer satisfaction.

Don't block promotions. Ever. You should always be encouraging growth within the company.

Offer more trainings. Not just Aloha-related, but Windows as well. Make sure this time is segmented off from regular duties and protected from interference. If employees are developing solid skills and have a path to grow in the company, they won't leave.

Company raises should be higher and more frequent. You must pay good, evolving talent or they will not stay.