NIKE Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
3.9

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 66 reviews)

• It is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory open availability makes it hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Athlete in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Athlete in New York, NY (US)

I worked at NIKE part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nike holds a lot of events which employees can be a part of, room for growth and development depending how you apply yourself. Meet many great people as well. Benefits are good, if your are full time.

Cons

Pay is average, not outstanding considering its a huge company. Hours are hard to come by, based on business needs. Use to be fun to work for, parties, employee events, better perks but have noticed a decline in "employee appreciation".

Nike

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

As far as retail goes, this was easily one of the best jobs I have ever had. It is a great atmosphere and you sell an awesome product.

Cons

Typical retail frustrations. I have nothing negative to say about my time as an employee with Nike.

I enjoyed my time with Nike. I left only seeking a greater management opportunity.

Work hard and everything will pay off

Current Employee - Athlete-FT in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Athlete-FT in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff culture is full of various people and the benefits are extremely helpful.

Cons

Difficult to move up into management because it is highly competitive.

Land of Opportunity

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nike has been an amazing place to work. (5 years and counting) The company values family and personal (non-work) commitments, and encourages you to be active, healthy, and not tied to your desk. They make a great quality product you can be proud of, and has a great culture with no limitations on access to senior leadership.

They have been great about recognizing talent and rewarding through career advancement and stretch assignments to learn and grow. Nike has so many opportunities that you can literally change career paths without leaving the company. They are willing to allow you to move from something like operations to marketing or from production to finance if you can demonstrate that you are capable. I've now worked in three different countries, and have enjoyed all of them.

Nike makes a sincere effort to listen to its employees, and to be transparent about when and why things are done. Continually evaluate market compensation for each role and ensure they stay competitive. It's also a giant company that's on a tear financially, with continued strong growth that is reflected in the stock valuation.

Cons

Tough to get in. I took a step back to get in, as did many of the folks I work with.
    It's big. Combine that with the relaxed hierarchy and you can create some slow progress. Not necessarily suited to folks used to working at a startup where you can make a decision that affects the whole company in a day.

Great experience

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Great environment where everyone truly believes in the brand and is passionate about it. If sport is your passion this is the right place.

Cons

Long waits for good growth opportunities.
    Most of decisions come from European HQ or WW HQ so territories have a more "execution" role.

Top brand. Amazing benefits.

Current Employee - WHQ in Beaverton, OR (US)
    Current Employee - WHQ in Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at NIKE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros: There's too many to list. Work life balance is amazing. During the summer there are summer hours. Employee discount. Health coverage is very good. Opportunities are endless since it's such a big company. Networking encouraged. Great team environment.

Cons

Cons: Navigating the Matrix. Though lots of opportunities for personal growth leadership also tends to hire a lot from the outside.

Great company to work

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Beaverton, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at NIKE (more than an year)

Pros

Work hard and play hard culture!
    Great perks!
    Culture is awesome

Cons

IT division is too slow to change. New CIO is trying to change but there are habits hard to change.

Feel good company so you have to please everyone.

Average salary

As someone who grew up in awe of this company, my entire career was more then I would have ever expected.

I worked at NIKE

Pros

Amazing perks, amazing company ethos and values.

Cons

Campus services are contacted out through troublesome vendors that have done more harm then good in my team's case

Remove the bloated, sparsely available campus IT

Super awesome! But at times a may get boring

Former Employee - Seasonal Athlete in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Athlete in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at NIKE part-time (less than an year)

Pros

definitely the environment while working for Niketown was a fun experience. I always loved the marketing involved with Nike products. It always seems so advanced and futuristic.

Cons

Sometimes working in the retail shops can get a bit slow. There is not much flexibility other than helping customers find shoes, or whatever products they need. You are limited to a few responsibility.

Management was cool. I wish I got to meet more of the corporate individuals

Awesome work in Nike

Current Employee - Senior Product Support Engineer in Beaverton, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Support Engineer in Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at NIKE as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great companny culture, innovative, democratic, no hierarchy, high motivation, listen to employees

Cons

No hifi technology used, less pain, no challenging task