NIKE Reviews

Updated 20 September 2014
3.9

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker
Mark G. Parker

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good as long as your direct manager is on board too (in 57 reviews)

• It is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have a family it can be difficult to manage work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work but difficult place to have work life balance making it easy to get burnt out.

Former Employee - Senior Product Developer  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Developer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at NIKE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at Nike gave me a chance to grow as a person and an employee. For me, it was an intense work environment but I really enjoyed my job so that helped deal with the day to day intensity. Most of the people that I worked with were great. The team environment feels more like a family than just coworkers. Definitely high energy and fun work place that values its employees and expects the best from them.

Cons

Nike seems to have a just do it way of doing business. There are no excuses. This attitude doesn't always make sense when it comes to training. Nike doesn't always make sure that people are trained and prepared for their next opportunity. They do not on board people well at all. It's sink or swim. They do not pay well.

I haven't seen many excellent managers at Nike. Most of them are lacking leadership skills. The company should focus on properly training and hiring the right people to manage others. A bad manager can really ruin the work environment and the effectiveness of the people that they manage.

Fun company in Portland, Oregon area

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst  in  Beaverton, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Summer hours provide opportunity to enjoy the beautiful Northwest summers. Corporate employees get annual public transportation pass. Sustainable conscious company. Employees seem to enjoy working here. Employee discount on cool sportswear and sneakers extended to immediate family and in-laws. Very nice facilities. If you’re young in your 20’s, great place to meet people.

Cons

Decisions tend to take longer with many consensus and politicking and layers of bureaucracy involved. Danger of getting pigeon-holed in your initial position. Really have to network to find other internal opportunities and be responsible for your own career development

Keep or start encouraging employees to be confident in making decisions and own the outcome. Whether succeed or fail, what was learned and how to improve is more important.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sports and unlimited career opportunities! You get to wear comfy gear all day! It's a very fun environment!
    Nike is pretty flexible when it comes to school. You can custom make your schedule according to your life style.
    While working at Nike you get a chance to engage with many people from all over the world! I have met tons of celebs and athletes while working at Nike.
    The company also have a Better World program where one is given a chance to participate in community events while still being paid as if you were at work. Awesome company to work for!

Cons

Super busy during Marathon but fun at the same time. I believe the benefits with healthcare can be a little better.
    Another con is the blackout days are from Oct 10, 2014 -Jan 2015. with little open days available for time off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

eye opening

I have been working at NIKE

Pros

the food was great

Cons

the dumb you down mentally

Working part time at Nike Factory

I have been working at NIKE part-time

Pros

Great overall company to work for very organized, great discount on product

Cons

The pay is a little low but other than that great

Practice what you preach

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Hilversum (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Hilversum (Netherlands)

I worked at NIKE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I liked the fact that everyone was really sports minded. Even the people at the finance dept. would go sporting in the afternoon, using new products. Competitive but still great atmosphere.

Cons

Some strategy changes I found hard to understand. They can't seem to compete with tech companies on fitness and health wearables.

Don't be afraid of the Samsungs, Apples and Googles and find your own sports tech niches. Invest more in the Nike+ brand and experience. Or look for more partnerships.

Best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Color Designer I - Footwear  in  Beaverton, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Color Designer I - Footwear in Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Progressive mindset, big on family and work/life balance. The benefits are amazing. Hot yoga during my lunch break? Yes please!

Cons

The very laid back attitude means you must be a self-starter, and some people don't ever seam to be
    'checked' on this. There are some people in roles who are not qualified to be there.

There is a lack of quality leadership skills in many of the people who are put in leadership roles.

Fun environment, good perks.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Emeryville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Emeryville, CA (US)

I worked at NIKE part-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to get involved within the community as part of work, fun environment, great discount

Cons

Didn't see how an athlete could move up through the ranks at corporate, managers were unprofessional and unorganized

It has been great. I've learned a lot.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount would the the first pro. This is my first retail job and I have gained a lot of experience working here at Niketown.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to move up if someone doesn't quit, move up, or get fired. Most of the time you tend to get stuck depending on what you want to achieve in the company.

Be more considerate on a persons work value instead of how they answer questions in an interview.

Nike

I have been working at NIKE part-time for less than a year

Pros

Promotions, Bonus once you are a permanent sales athlete, Personal Growth, Room for advancement .

Cons

Most athletes once permanent go down to working 20 hours maximum.

More hours

Worked for NIKE? Contribute to the Community!