NIKE

NIKE Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

NIKE President & CEO Mark G. Parker

Mark G. Parker

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance if you are looking for that"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Some good people coping with really difficult software development work environment"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "Overall business process management is well behind the times, extremely unbalanced work/life balance (life"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Sometimes long hours and late nights at work in order to communicate with overseas vendors"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just do it!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Marysville, WA (US)

I worked at NIKE part-time for more than a year

ProsI worked at Nike as a seasonal sales associate starting off. That position hires you above minimum wage and gives you up to 40 hours a week if you have availability for it. If they like your performance they keep you as a regular employee working 19.5 hours and below. This job was seriously fun. I don't know if that's because the location just had great managers (called coaches) or why, but it was such a great experience!
PROS: good wage for an entry level job with no degree required, easy to learn about their products and history through paid comprehensive training, 30% discount off merchandise even when on sale, access to the Employee Store in Beaverton OR, free shoes, pants, and shirt for work, Nike employees are friendly type A people which adds so much to the fun of working there, store meetings always have free pizza and games, Nike is great at recognizing employees Nd if you show you're a hard worker you can be nominated by your head coach for a traveling opportunity such as running a booth for Nike in NY for the US tennis Open!!! And if you got picked to do it they would pay for the whole trip even food.

ConsRetail after a year or so can be very frustrating. The customers (we call them guests) will get on your very last nerve and the fact that you work holidays will eventually get old too.
CONS: not a set schedule so planing ahead of the schedule being released can be near impossible unless you requested it off in a timely manor, Black Friday is hellish and you might end up working the split shift aka two time in 24 hours, every employee works Black Friday, no exceptions, you don't get commission so even if you work really hard the most you get is a possible MVP award and a better yearly raise, but people who get hired before you and have accumulated more raises will still get paid more even if they are the worst worker ever! Also seasonal positions get hired higher and higher each year so sometimes if you haven't been there very long the new seasonal employees will make more than you and still not as experienced as you. Customers can be very rude and literally make you hate them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet corporate to pay people more if they are hard workers and stop hiring seasonal employees at a rate higher than your true employees who love and work hard at their job.

Great work environment, but can be hard to maneuver from one job to the next.

Learning Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at NIKE full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a laid back work environment, but there is definite emphasis on getting the job done. You have the opportunity to go work out on your lunch. There are a lot of fun events especially during the summer. Also, there are athletes that drop in quite often.

ConsIt can be very hard to maneuver from one job to the next if you do not know how the culture works.

Top brand for sports

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at NIKE part-time for less than a year

ProsNike treats employees nicely on the retail side. Its a laid back type of atmosphere, with the priority being great customer service. The employees are fun to work with, and will be your friends outside of work. The gear is awesome!

ConsThe hours can be inconsistent, and sometimes annoying especially during special events and holidays, but that's to be expected in a retail job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employee discount on Nike clothes and gear is awesome!

Phenomenal.

Merchant (Current Employee)
Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at NIKE full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment and culture.
Great benefits.

ConsLack of clear path to advancements. Must be self-driven. Find a mentor.

Advice to Senior ManagementSample career paths.

Great Company

I have been working at NIKE

ProsFlex schedules, great benefits, Management was very open to employees, retirement plan as well as other incentives, amazing support staff.

Consadvancement within was very hard.

Amazing Company, Amazing People

Beaverton, OR (US)

I have been working at NIKE as a contractor for less than a year

ProsEven as a contractor the team I work for has treated me like I am really apart of their team. Nike makes you feel at home and part of the family.

ConsMoving from a contractor to perm. position takes a long time. I feel that while Nike teaches to obtain and retain the top talent, but they overlook who they have or are slow to do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust to remember to hang on to talent and loyalty. Having both qualities is having a gem in an employee/ETW and not all have BOTH qualities, so those who do, keep them.

Youthful atmosphere... So many employees.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Beaverton, OR (US)

I worked at NIKE as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe culture and people were very friendly and accommodating. There was a great understanding that productivity would be highest if employees were given freedoms in many areas (hours, projects, etc.).

ConsThere are very many people working at Nike. I think around 7000 on the HQ campus. It is easy to feel lost if working at a lower level position. Lower level positions typically feel a lot like busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve system for feedback sharing with employees.

Awesome summer internship

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at NIKE full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work! Motivating, inspiring, and fast-paced environment. Nike's full of talented people to learn from. As an intern, I was constantly challenged and forced to grow.

ConsIt's a big company full of extremely creative, smart, and talented people. It's not easy to stand out here. Also, the structured internship program may not be for everyone.

Free clothes was nice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NIKE

ProsExciting to work with such a well known company

ConsIf you are a part time under 20 hrs employee then you only get 12 hours a week.
Managers are clueless to who is actually doing the work
Very few opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementSome employees take advantage of the fact that they do more work than others and they take the credit and receive the promotions. Pay attention!

Great company and even better people

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Brentwood, TN (US)

I have been working at NIKE part-time for more than a year

ProsVery flexible hours, everyone has a passion about sports, and has an overall great environment

ConsHonestly, I have not found anything I have been unhappy with. It his however to advance in the company, which can be discouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to help employees grow

Worked for NIKE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NIKE reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for NIKE CEO Mark G. Parker. All 637 reviews are posted anonymously by NIKE employees.