NPD

Add Photos

NPD Chairman and CEO Tod S. Johnson

Tod S. Johnson

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people to work with

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at NPD full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits and smart people

ConsNot much room for growth at midlevel

Great company and leadership, but limited room for growth

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at NPD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive salary for the industry, very transparent leadership, great work/life balance

ConsLimited upward mobility, overly reliant on older products and technology

Excellent working environment and benefits.

Enterprise Support (Current Employee)
Port Washington, NY (US)

I have been working at NPD full-time for less than a year

ProsGood salary, competent staff and friendly environment. The company is private and takes very good care of their employees. The management is very helpful and ready to help team members succeed.

ConsI have been with the company for less than a year. I have seen no negatives yet.

Best Internship I've ever had

Client Development (Former Employee)

I worked at NPD as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat company who cares about nurturing it's intern and focusing on development and growth. Plenty of opportunities to use your abilities to impress management and satisfy clients. Overall, wonderful experience and best internship I've ever had!

ConsLocation of the headquarters is very deep in long island. Not bad if you don't mind the commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat internship program! I loved my summer with NPD; however, HR needs to be more structured when it comes to hiring interns. We are a highly prized commodity in the job market and it is unfair to us to be in the dark as far as the progress of our employment for so long.

Great place to start, but difficult for long term growth

Account Specialist (Former Employee)
Port Washington, NY (US)

I worked at NPD full-time for more than a year

ProsNPD is great for gaining experience in global research and hands-on approach with clients. After a year, it is best to move on rather than be asked to leave.

ConsSystems are obsolete and the company is losing its competitive edge against other, far more advanced research companies. The company is full of office politics with the mentality of "every man/woman for themselves" rather than working as a team.

Bad Working Environment

Engineer (Former Employee)
Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at NPD full-time for less than a year

ProsI can't fine one to post

ConsThe NDP group is a “Bad Working Environment”. It is a company that balances it Employee base on race, and driven on Knowledge Transfer. What does this means: Driven on Knowledge Transfer. The company does not have true talents, and deliberately hire specific individuals with well-founded knowledge and create a process that is designed to drain or steel knowledge between a period of 3-to-6 months. Once they feel that they have acquire enough or think that they have what you have worked hard for, the company just get rid of you as soon as they can in a very disdainful manner.
This is not a company of true pioneers, and no future for you in this company. And yes, this company only preferred white employees, and it is where your knowledge ends up. When it comes to Information Technology, it is the weak as all departments of this company. You work hard for your knowledge, and you reserve the right not to share your knowledge. A team is not about one person doing all of the work and share his or her knowledge to everyone else, is about knowledgeable individuals working together to overcome challenges. Not one person overcoming challengers for everyone else.
I strongly believe that Tod S. Johnson know what is happening within his company, and if you are a talented individual who is off-white [expect the worst job] believes that you have a future in this company, you are wrong. I have spoken to individual high-up in the ladder in this company, and there is only air between their ears. Karyn Schoenbart is a thunder-head [This is the best description that I can come up with, unfortunately]. She is a perfect example of what a failure is. She is the core participant that drives the Knowledge Transfer scheme with the NPD Group.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot worth the time

Great company to intern with!

Intern In Consumer Insights (Former Employee)

I worked at NPD as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt's very easy to get time with top management to ask any questions you have about the company, their area of expertise, etc.
People work there often for many years, so it's likely that any person can point you in the right direction to get things done outside of your department.
Summer hours available to interns.

ConsIt's hard to cover NYC's living expenses with the salary.
Commuting requires a car, or train. Train is expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Good company overall, with a willingness to evolve

I have been working at NPD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood CEO with interesting vision, still growing and with some potential opportunities, good values

ConsToo Long Island centric, too many people look alike, not enough changes, people with 15 + years there, lack

Advice to Senior ManagementMore out of the box thinking, more out of the box people

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It is a casual family oriented place to work at.

I have been working at NPD full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNPD is very family oriented they allow employees to work from home depending on their performance at work. They offer comprehensive benefits,401k, dental and PTO.

ConsI've come to realize that it is very clicky with people who have been there a long time, Salary is not competitive and I have not seen to many positions to help move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training available to Operations. There are more for sales people.

Good experience but very slow to promote internally

Account Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance
Great experience/exposure working with Fortune 500 clients
Flexible

ConsBefore a promotion you must be working at the next level for years.
Must move positions to get promoted.
Will let long tenured talent leave instead of promoting within.
Lower than average industry salaries especially so close to NYC.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain more good talent

Worked for NPD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NPD reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NPD CEO Tod S. Johnson. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by NPD employees.