Nakisa Reviews

Reset
3.6
Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi
Babak Varjavandi

Pros
  • Easy to access, downtown Montreal, great people, cool benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Free breakfast and coffee everyday (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing, so employees need to adapt (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management and VPs are all external; don't expect to get promoted internally even if you worked there 10 (in 4 reviews)

1. Nice People and Good Work Culture

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time

Pros

Located in Downtown. Nice People doing amazing work in HCM and Financial Area. Product is amazing and lot to learn.

Cons

Nothing at this point of time.

It's all good!

I have been working at Nakisa

Pros

Several stimulating projects and lot's of room for growth. If you are the type of person who has initiative and who likes to be involved this is the place to work.

Cons

No reasons not to join Nakisa

Avoid this company if you are looking for career growth

Former Employee - Software Analyst
    Former Employee - Software Analyst

I worked at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice employees, most of the employees at the company are friendly and helpful.

Cons

There is a full list of cons about Nakisa. From the point that you need to use refurbished equipment i3 to the lack of Management and honesty between Managers with all their direct employees.
    The High managers don't care about your specializations and how you can grow professionally. The only think they care is how much money they can make out of your skills.
    Be aware that getting the Job doesn't mean that you will stay after 3 months, they can simply turn around and qualify you as a "Not a match".

Advice to Management

Set career goals properly for your employees and be honest once hiring and telling what is possible to achieve on their position within the company

Mar 27, 2015

Nakisa, just like any fast growing Company, is adapting to market changes and trends. We have a great offering and trust that our decision makers are knowledgeable and experienced. Sometimes the best ... More

Great Team Environment

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a relatively recent hire at Nakisa and so far my experience has been great. Some of the pros are:
    - Great location
    - Amazing team. Everyone is very welcoming, hard working and intelligent
    - New company initiatives (A lot of potential growth)
    - Interesting and challenging projects
    - Free breakfast and coffee everyday

Cons

The building could use a face lift inside and a group RRSP plan would be nice

Mar 27, 2015

Thank you for your comments, we have great ideas and objectives for 2015!!

Fast-paced and stimulating work environment in the heart of Montreal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Even though I am part of the most recent hires at Nakisa, it feels like I've been working there for much longer! Amazing co-workers and exciting projects certainly contributed to making me get onboard and enjoy the ride.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to share. Nakisa seems to be the best well-kept secret in Montreal so the onus is on us to change that.

Mar 27, 2015

We invest a lot of time and energy on our on-boarding process. Thank you for your feedback.

In general, Nakisa is a good company, and can be improved drastically

I have been working at Nakisa full-time

Pros

Great enterprise culture
    Adequate work-life balance
    Comprehensive management regarding time-off
    Some great talent within the company
    Downtown Montreal
    Product has the potential to grow and improve drastically

Cons

Breakfast is free, but bagels and bread needs to be refreshed more often.
    The company lacks structure, planning and control over projects and changes in the enterprise.
    R&D is king of the mountain there and restrain the proper expansion of the company.
    Major employees retention problems, they need to keep their talent.
    Training can be improved

Advice to Management

Put a proper structure and foundation in place, and stick to it.
    Change the culture, define your company mission and base all your decisions on core values.
    Spend more on R&D, they are restraining your growth capacity (better resources, not always go for the cheap labor).
    Be demanding and apply a tighter control and quality over operations.
    Align departments better, so they work together properly.

Mar 27, 2015Director of HR

As a result of growth, Nakisa has experienced a time of rapid change. With change comes great opportunities but also a need to adapt. In recent months, we have welcomed some of Montreal’s top talent ... More

Only looks great from the outside

I worked at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are great. When I was working there, there were employees that came from around the globe, which made for a fantastic environment.

Cons

Extremely high turnover and no job security. The moment you would start earning more money, you would be replaced by a new graduate. Pretty ironic, when you consider that one of their products focuses on talent management. Definitely not something they apply at this company.

Heart of downtown - Challenging and fun at the same time

Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time

Pros

Recently, there have been some positive changes including the hiring of many experienced and talented people to help the company stay on the right path toward success.
    Everyone is working hard to create differentiated and quality products for the clients and we do it well. The company culture and the people's experience brought to the table help very much to achieve this. Sometimes, I can't believe the amount of bright people that work here.
    When it comes to employee satisfaction, there is a lot of headway in the last 6 months
    I can't deny that location is amazing.
    Employees are kept more in the loop in terms of company vision and strategy than ever before. There are frequent company wide meetings, company updates, emails etc

Cons

From my perspective, I can't complain. The company is growing, so employees need to adapt. If you're someone that doesn't adapt well to change, it could be more difficult. Every company has room to improve, it's just a matter of time and resources.

Advice to Management

I think we're going in the right direction.

Dishonest, controlling, disempowering, soul-less and declining software company

I worked at Nakisa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Downtown location, close to many services
    - Some talented employees (even if they won't stick around)

Cons

- Upper management is unable to focus on strategic initiatives : shoots in every direction
    - Understaffed : company`s revenues have been on a steep decline
    - Huge turnover and retention problem : employees are 6-mo to 12-mo old on average, except for a select few
    - Complete lack of alignement between desired culture and actions of the upper management
    - Employees are considered mindless slaves expected to work countless hours for no reward (monetary or just plain recognition): nobody makes any decision except VP and CxO
    - HR and execs have some of the worst practices of the industry
    - Huge lack of satisfaction among staff leads to individualism culture - most employees in place are looking for a new job
    - Company is ill-prepared for the market shifts and the increasing competition - it has a huge potential which will never be realizezd by current upper management.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT MOST POSITIVE REVIEWS ARE ORIGINATING FROM THE HR DEPARTMENT. Just company the number of postifive/negative/overall reviews to any other company of similar size (Montreal is 60-75 employees at most, despite HR saying they are over 150 and counting). 10 times the number of reviews, there is a reason for that.

HR are charming in interviews. And it ends there. The nightmare begins when you join the company on your first day. And don't expect HR to follow or honor any contract. Leave no notice when you leave, it won't get paid. Don't expect to be recognized by your boss, he will take credit. Don't expect to make any decisions, unless you're VP or CxO. Don't expect work-family balance, core hours are 9h00 to 17h00 (for real).

Mar 27, 2015

We are proud of our interviewing process. It takes time and energy to find the three things we look for in an employee; attitude-intelligence-experience. Those who are the good fit, are comfortable ... More

Satisfied to work at a stable respectful company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great relationship with supervisor
    Top managers and VPs really accessible and friendly
    Company's culture based on respect (the real one, the respect you feel day-in day-out, each second you spend at this company, not a simple word used by HR to attract like I experienced in other companies)
    Multicultural environment where we learn from each other
    Company at a growth phase, but human resources are the center of attention still
    Good salary
    Flexible working shifts
    Extra free week of vacation at christmas time (+ regular statutory holidays), management being really cool at this one :) makes it nearly 2 weeks off
    Strategy and orientations being shared and explained on a monthly and quarterly base

Cons

Honestly can't find that many to say .. Maybe some silos still to break between departments, but nothing critical, when you need other departments help you get it.

Advice to Management

Keep on being what you are, genuine and approachable

Mar 27, 2015

One of the things we are proud of at Nakisa is that we are a multicultural environment that leads to a wealth of varied skill-sets and experiences.

RSS Feed </> Embed