National Australia Bank

Updated 14 December 2014
Updated 14 December 2014
3.1

Cameron A. Clyne

Pros
  • Emphasize work-life balance, relatively good staff benefit compare to other banks in HK (in 18 reviews)

• Offers flexible working arrangements including working from home (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Bloated middle management layers; slow and centralized decision making; limited empowerment; chronically outdated IT (in 5 reviews)

• Being large means there is a lot of red tape and often there no desire to improve processes (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I have been working at National Australia Bank part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible working, strong leadership and coaching.
    I was provided lots of opportunities to learn and work in differnt business units. There are some really strong leaders there. Like most companies the line managers make a large difference.

Cons

Childcare spots
    Clearing the United Kingdom investment has adversely effected the group however new CEO appears ready to take action and work through this.

Continue with coaching culture. Offering more child minding services.

Don't work for NAB if you aren't prepared to sell their product at every opportunity

I worked at National Australia Bank

Pros

Good team-focused environment and work-life balance

Cons

Too focused on selling their product to customers

Project Manager

I worked at National Australia Bank

Pros

Mixed range of project work

Cons

The lack of strong leadership

Great atmosphere and benefits

Former Employee - Reconciliation Analyst in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Reconciliation Analyst in Melbourne

I worked at National Australia Bank

Pros

they provide fresh fruit everyday, they have mentor programme and buddy programme to help to network and grow within the company.

Cons

company culture was great but you need to be lucky with the managers. not all are very open minded.

increase transparency and promote personal development

Too political

Current Employee - Graduate in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Graduate in Melbourne

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Reasonable salary, nice office and good work-life balance

Cons

Poor training, very political and the work isn't very rewarding

Treat employees with a bit more respect

Good people to work with but toxic management

Former Employee - Team Member At MLC
    Former Employee - Team Member At MLC

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The other team members that you work with is great, the care about the customer and services provided, the quality coaches are great I can never give them enough credit!

Cons

The management is horrible, if they can physically make you feel incompetent and destroy self esteem they will do it! Some managers are great but the ones climbing corporate ladder will shoot you down without looking back to see if you need support. There isn't any privacy between you and your manager, they will go and gossip to every other manager and people leader so everyone knows when your falling apart! Too much politics, too many lies, to much bullying behind closed doors, very unfair and not a good place or environment in the long run.

Take care of your employees, train your managers and leadership team on how to deal with employees, have empathy show that you care. Stop bullying behind closed doors and deal with issues when they arise! Do not take privacy for granted, what we say to you in confidence does not need to be repeated to 7-10 other managers, it should be reported to PAC if it needs to be looked into. I loved working there, but my manager was a two faced women, who only cared about herself and growing her career! Please ensure if you are upper management take care of those who you are looking after, it's called duty of care!!!

Loan Coordinator

Former Employee - Loan Coordinator in Sydney
    Former Employee - Loan Coordinator in Sydney

I worked at National Australia Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company brand
    Supportive and friendly teams
    Training programs
    Good work life balance
    Efficient systems
    Streamlined processes
    Lots of change for the better and policy rollouts

Cons

Limited internal mobility
    Can be stressful at times to meet KPI's
    Multiple layers of approval

Paralegal

Former Employee - Casual Paralegal in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Casual Paralegal in Melbourne

I worked at National Australia Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great - pretty fun and down to earth. Flexible hours. Because I was a casual I could change two days to 1.5 by extending the longer day's hours. Great job and good pay for a Uni student.

Cons

I perused trust deeds which wasn't very engaging or interesting. You were looking at the same types of docs all day. Arguably once you got trained doing leases and plans, you got more variety but otherwise you are perusing trust deeds all day. The other downside was that there was no incentive to get X number of trust deeds done in a day because even if you finished them there would be more for you to do, and at the same time, if you couldn't finish all your trust deeds, you could leave it for the following day, so you kind of felt like a robot.

Set targets to build motivation.

Great Employer!

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Canberra
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Canberra

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Opportunities to volunteer in the community. Competitive salaries. Opportunity and support for personal development.

Cons

Poor job training for new starters.

Better training for new to bank staff needed.

NAB - Manipulates and Exploits Staff

Current Employee - Operations in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Operations in Melbourne

I have been working at National Australia Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really cant see the Pro's of this company, and I am being serious.

Cons

Exploitation, manipulation, poor bonus, low salary, poor team culture, structure is confusing, and management don't care to fix because all they care about is their own back pocket. I have worked in 3 other banks, and the NAB has the worst culture of all, management will take advantage of you if they can, and they don't hide it. They preach work like balance and culture diverse background, when 95% of management and people leaders, are white Australians.

I have never seen such selfish and racist company in my life, and thats being nice. You need to stop manipulating people, and using them for low wages, and you need to teach your people leaders to respect staff, and when they ask for things and not coping, don't then tell staff they are not wanted in their team, and to call the counselling program which does nothing!!!

I am so disgusted at this company, so much so that I tell people never to bank with them, because they treat their staff like monkeys in a cage. Management also pretend to know things, but in fact know nothing, and steal ideas from staff and make the ideas their own.

You preach many things, but dont back up your statements, its not wonder your share price is so low, your culture is deplorable. I would love to name which company I work for that the NAB owns, but it may not be desirable for you, but you train you people leaders to manipulate staff and scare them into submission and fear of their jobs.

One other thing, when you ask people to do the yearly feedback to your company, rather than igorning your staff, do something about how bad things are, and then maybe you will be respected, not only by staff but by customers, shareholders etc.

Perhaps if you worked on your culture, your share price would increase, its amazing when you fix inside of your organisation, the outside will be fixed as well.

I am ashamed and disgusted to work for this company that the NAB owns, your management team run riot with exploiting staff, and every single person I speak to, hates every aspect of their environment. Management look miserable, staff the same, nobody talks or laughs, and I have never seen so many secret meetings in my life, staff dont talk and chat and laugh at their desks, because they have nothing to laugh about....You always see people walking off in twos or threes going somewhere to talk about how miserable they are, such a sad state of affairs.