National Australia Bank

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cameron A. Clyne

Pros
  • Emphasize work-life balance, relatively good staff benefit compare to other banks in HK(in 14 reviews)

• Extremely flexible working for the perms, You can have some strong leaders and great people - just depends on the department(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Bloated middle management layers; slow and centralized decision making; limited empowerment; chronically outdated IT(in 5 reviews)

• The organisation tends to settle for mediocrity through a pervasive tolerance of poor performance and performance appraisals that average to a mean(in 4 reviews)

Depending on the team NAB can be fantastic to work for.

ProsWork-life balance, opportunities to work in different departments

ConsBeing large means there is a lot of red tape and often there no desire to improve processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to go beyond the we have always done it this way. Many teams do not have a culture of trying to help others out.

nice place to work with

Senior Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee) Melbourne

Prosflexi work arrangement, good employee benefits, onsite childcare, good company culture, people leaders are normally supportive

Conslimited career opportunities, salary lower than peers, market position bad at the moment, very beaurocratic

Big, but be careful.

Practice Development Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGood structures to support and reward hard work.

ConsSadly, vengeful middle management who blame others to hide their poor performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove narcissistic managers faster.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engaging workplace, great learning and mentoring environment

Associate (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGreat team structure, supportive of professional development. Challenging work with opportunity to take as much responsibility as you feel you can handle.

ConsBureaucratic large organisation, seemingly endless restructuring for some departments

nab

Business Banking Executive (Current Employee) Sydney

Prosvery good talent program for top 3% of employees.

ConsDoes not pay best in market because of brand

Advice to Senior ManagementNAB loose the best and brightest as they are not flexible on pay to retain top 5% of talent. Also they do too many restructures that reduce an employees level of trust and engagement to invest in a long term job with the organisation.

If you dont like something, just wait, there will be a re-org next week

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsReasonable benefits but nothing special, provides a nice warm place to go during the cold winter days

Consre-organisations constantly drives a complacent attitude with most staff, if you don't like the world today, just wait, it will change!
    Red tape and poor processes with a culture of complacency makes it incredibly difficult to achieve anything within the organisation, it fights you trying to make a change.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the re-organisations, it look like you really don't know what will work, so you try something for a few months, and then try something else, and then try something else, hoping to find a structure that gives you the outcome you are looking for (not sure what that may be).

Grateful for my time there, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it.

Associate - Business Banking (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsGiven lots of opportunity to move into different roles and departments. Many areas to explore.

ConsSome teams can be toxic. Politics, bureaucracy...the usual large corporation stuff.

The only organization I've worked for, so i'd say its the best organization i've worked in

Analyst (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsBig on community and collaborative culture. NAB values diversity and promotes employee engagement .

ConsMultiple layers of decision making and less of innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on new generation banking. More digital , more accessible and timely delivery of service needs to be a priority.

If you want to know what hell is, go work there

Analyst, Corporate Banking (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsYou'll learn how to suck up and perfect the art of speaking at team meetings without actually contributing meaningful - strangely this is valued by management.

ConsFull of psychopaths and people who think they are God's gift to mankind. If you're a yes man or have no backbone you'll do well there. I know people there who went five years without any pay rise.

Advice to Senior ManagementHope you guys sink the ship - fingers crossed.

Super Fast + Cut throat- Lots of Politics every day

IT Developer (Former Employee) Melbourne

Pros- Huge organisation means easier to jump between depts.
    - Decent Starting Salaries (if you are in the right area)

Cons- Lots of dirty politics
    - V Cut-throat. Personal life can easily be lost
    - Company culture and the way bonuses are assessed - Everyone (even people from same teams) seem to be working against each other rather than with.

Worked for National Australia Bank? Contribute to the Community!