National Grid USA

National Grid USA Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

National Grid USA CEO Steve Holliday

Steve Holliday

Pros
  • Good work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods (in 8 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, productive environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited upper management growth without having to relocate (in 5 reviews)

• Unstable, change in senior management every 2 yrs, consultants are in every department replacing full time employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

national grid was a very good company to work for.

Control Room Operator (Former Employee) Albany, NY (US)

Prosvery good pay and benefits and hours

Conslong hours and under staffed

It was good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent salaries. Good work life balance.

ConsManagement is inefficient. Nothing else.

No common goal, just money. Leaves employees "dangling" with no future planning

Payroll (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY (US)

ProsI worked in the Payroll Dept here at the Main office in Syracuse NY; hired on as a temp. So you can say I know all about the payroll, hours, 35+ Union contracts, Overtime, pay raises, SAP program and oh lets not forget the management style.
     The only pro of my job were some of the decent "regular" folk I had the chance to work with, a measly paycheck and satisfaction out of helping employees & retirees through the mess of a payroll and management system

Payroll employees only make roughly $40K yet in charge of Corporate payroll issues, the MOST important part of the company.
    Management positions, which are salary usually start at about $65 with directors earning $125-$135. Vp's make $175K
    Lineman vary from $35hr to $45hr. depends if your a group leader or not
    wow, a meter reader can start at $14 and go all the way to $30
    OVERTIME: DOUBLE WOW, the work crews earn overtime, I've constantly see guys that have a salary of $72k and take home home DOUBLE that. Obscene amounts of 1.5 and double time.

a group forman know had a base salary of $85k yet after all his OT and year end BONUS he took home $232,000 . blows my mind

ConsI have NEVER seen such an diverse employee & management group in my life. Very few had the common goal or experience for their jobs (in the offices). Management in my Dept. was some of the most INEPT management I have ever come across. How does a manager in arts and philosophy degree get to be in control of payroll? Their SAP program was rolled out untested at the behest of the CEO. I know this because I chatted with a recently retired VP who bought the program, but argued with CEO that it wasn't ready yet. It was one of the worse implementations in corporate history. People were not getting the paychecks correctly for 8 months. It was so bad the Company had to announce that any overpayment would be forgiven and gave EVERY affected employee a Large bonus for the problems they endured.

Biggest complaint, the management has no care in the world about their subordinates. only care about implementing company policy. If I saw my manager broken down on the road I would keep on driving (maybe I'd call Triple aaa for them) but they are just merely "Tools" of the company

Advice to Senior Managementput management in place that had a background in their jobs. use people that actually have a heart and treat their employees with some dignity and acknowledge their employees with more than a "grunt hello" in the morning. Hell the only time my manager bothered me were when "issues" came up. sometimes I wondered if he knew my name.

and as for Outsourcing, YEAH, they hire TONS of "contractors" that come from agencies. Usually on a yearly contract but get renewed most of the time. they get about $70k year and work in all depts through the company, whether payroll, benefits, engineering. There are so many temporary contractors that come in on a daily basis that half the hotels in armory square must be filled with them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent

Lead Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsPay is nice and company intentions seem promising.

ConsLack of advancement. Lack of coaching. Lack of technical support. Promising corporate outlook does not translate to day-to-day, month-to-month work life improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage coaching at all levels. No matter what rank, people need feedback in order to prepare for daily life and improve professionally. Address technical support inefficiency.

Awesome!

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Syracuse, NY (US)

ProsGreat compensations and benefits...very diverse work culture...chance for advancement

ConsNone that I can think of

Company does not get it that the outsourcing is a complete failure.

ProsSalary's not bad, not much more than that.

ConsWatch out, if the company can outsource you, YOUR GONE. They'll replace you with 10 offshore people that are clueless and the business and customers suffer. Just look at their SAP roll out. Mostly done by offshore people and was complete failure. They never tested the system and it went live with non productional data in the tables.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of covering up the outsourcing problems or placing blame on the wrong people, end this sillyness and get the proper people back taking care of the systems before they are ALL gone. Most are looking as we speak.

Job was good, but everything else......

Distribution Systems Operator (Former Employee) Northborough, MA (US)

ProsGood pay, good benefits, productive environment. Some people were good to work with. The actual job itself was good.

ConsHR Onboarding process was a nightmare. Did not pay me properly my entire time there, not sure if they ever did. New payroll implementation was a joke.
    Certain people in my job made life miserable (backstabbing, talking behind your back). Scheduling was rough at times, and the lead scheduler was only concerned with making sure his schedule was filled, but wasn't concerned with assisting you if you needed assistance.
    IT issues all the time, antiquate IT infrastructure.
    Job training was good, but it was a one and done type training.

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

ProsGood work life balance, except during year end and other financial reporting periods

ConsMany employees have been there a long time, so it may be difficult to advance

Very good salaries and benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbove average salaries as well as excellent benefits

ConsThe company has grown to large.
    "The tail wags the dog"... syndrome.
    Limited upper management growth without having to relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what they preach, employees are supposedly as important as the investors!

Accounting dept

Accounting Services (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY (US)

ProsRecent overhaul of senior management- they listen, care and are making a difference- it's not hierarchical
    Dynamic, you can make a difference
    Interesting work, different issues arise daily
    Collaborative
    Good benefits eg company gym, healthcare
    Can get paid less to get more vacation

ConsLots of consultants "helping" - seems they are part of the problems- they were here before the accounting clean up, so it makes no sense they are "helping" clean up the accounts when they caused the issues

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the consultants- and sue them for the shoddy job they did with SAP implementation

Worked for National Grid USA? Contribute to the Community!