National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance, though honestly that depends on which group you're in"
    in 68 reviews
  • "flexible work schedule, casual work environment, job security"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Sometimes the decision making process is too slow and seemed too conservative"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic company to grow skill sets and launch your professional career.

Group Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was a seven year employee of NI and had numerous promotions during that time. There is a pointed focus on developing employee skill sets. A lot of in-house promotions, too. Great onsite amenities, such as multiple cafeterias, gym, health clinic (sooo convenient), volleyball courts, and more. Easy access off of Mopac, and right across the street from the Domain. The ESPP program is fantastic - free money to those that take advantage of it. The culture is very strong in this company, it really shows. This is the only company I worked for that spent a significant amount of time correctly managing employees, from timely praise and attentive listening, to performance management when necessary. That's probably the one thing I miss most about working at NI.

ConsCompensation policies. The bottom line is, fight hard for your starting salary. After that, you'll be subjected to an annual raise policy that, when they're given (some years not), are small bumps (2-6% on average). There is no level-setting of salaries once you are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou clearly hire the best and the brightest, but retention should be a stronger focus. I get the business case for your raise policy, but you're bleeding star performers who quickly eclipse their modest starting pay. Until you revisit this, you'll be stuck in a cycle of launching careers and not capitalizing on your development investments.

One of the best places to work

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI love the company I work for.
It's consistently being voted as one of the best places to work for, from the past 14 years so that should tell that this really is a great place to work. Compensation is decent. I'm happy about my role and responsibilities.
I'm able to maintain a great work life balance because of -
1. Work hours are fairly flexible.
2. Work pressure is not too high.
3. The people I work with are very nice.
4. The campus is in the middle of the city so I don't spend a lot of time commuting.

ConsI don't know about other teams but I can speak for myself.
I guess the work can afford to be a bit more challenging.
We can also do with some more leadership in the technical ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure you are constantly introspecting and evolving. As long as you continue to do that, we're good!

Work hard and play hard.

Inside Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work! Environment is well balanced... work hard and play hard.

Some changes are affecting immediate business, but it's with the intention to be better organized and create stronger organization. We are aligning structures, systems and tools with other offices around the world.

Conscareer opportunities are offered, but no always met in the short run. Compensation ($$) is not the greatest! Sometimes you just get more responsibilities added.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are good ideas in place to make business better. Sometimes it looks like the implementation of those ideas is a half speed. This sometimes affects business and compensation. But at the end of the day that's not really considered.

National Instruments is a great company to start your career in Software Development.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company culture.
Great benefits.
Good work/life balance.
Sound management.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement for senior developers.

Great place to work, not the best compensation.

I have been working at National Instruments

Pros- Company culture
- Employee amenities
- Great place to learn
- Sense of community is strong

Cons- Compensation (salary)
- Organization in some groups
- Very silo'd work environment

NI - A good place to work...if you have the patience

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsWork environment, smart people, challenging work

ConsLack of strong leadership to get problems solved, break through old mindsets. Lots of roadblocks.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be better listeners and stronger problem solvers at times while balancing the voice of the individual employees and middle management. I would like to see true Lean Leadership as described by people like Jim Womack.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at National Instruments full-time

ProsMany new oportunities to develop and learn more.

ConsSometimes is hard to grow inside the company in certain areas

Great people to work with, lots of job opportunities within the company

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company culture is fantastic - people are approachable, the attitudes are positive, there's a lot of energy in every department. Most departments have a great work hard/play hard approach. If you work hard/smart there are good opportunities to move into new roles and advance in the company. NI hires bright, motivated people that want to get things done. NI is also very stable - there's never been a layoff and the company is run in a conservative manner.

ConsOver time, as the company has grown, some bureaucracy has set in the makes it more difficult to get things done as compared to the past. The bureaucracy is not nearly as bad as many other companies, however. Also, the total compensation package of the company used to be above average and had some unique advantages; however, as the company has grown the overall compensation has become pretty average.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out ways to differentiate the total compensation package from the rest of the industry.

Great until recently

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture, fun place to work. Fun products (mostly).

ConsLower pay than comparable companies. Great culture is at risk due to slower growth.

Good people, fun projects, mediocre salary

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere are opportunities to work on great projects if you can move around enough in the company.

ConsCreativity is not always valued; personal side projects don't get much support. The salary and benefits are below grade for companies in this sector. Management is pretty social so if you don't have an outgoing personality it will be harder to get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on creativity. Create a culture of continuous education. Award people for pushing the envelope.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

National Instruments Videos

National Instruments – Why Work for Us?

NI employees enjoy a work environment framed more by guidelines rather than hard and fast rules; an outstanding, multifaceted compensation and benefits package; and access to tools and resources equipping them to drive… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at National Instruments reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for National Instruments CEO James J. Truchard. All 532 reviews are posted anonymously by National Instruments employees.