National Instruments

National Instruments Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard

James J. Truchard

Pros
  • The people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance(in 83 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • below average compensation, below average work-life balance for managers, leadership lack perspective(in 13 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process(in 15 reviews)

Great place to start at

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe projects are very interesting and enjoyable to work on. The benefits are good, and the opportunities to learn new things when you start are many. I get to wear shorts everyday and occasionally drink beer at work functions. Talk about nice culture. There are decent opportunities for career growth. The CEO, CFO, and other executives are pretty great. They've been able to weather two recessions now without any layoffs.

ConsIt seems like the company is currently going through some growing pains. I'm sure they will eventually work through it, but the company isn't really growing. Salary quickly falls behind the industry average after a few years of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight need to try new strategies if the company hasn't been growing, rather than waiting to weather the storm or trying to squeeze every little thing for more profit.

An Above Average Job

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsNI is very flexible with your schedule. I never feel guilty showing up a little late for work, taking a long lunch, etc. As long as I put in my 40 hours, I don't get hassled.

The work is interesting. Sometimes it is so interesting that I put in extra hours because I want to, not because I'm expected to.

The people are extremely smart and you will learn a lot. The work is challenging so there is a lot to learn.

For the most part, management is pretty capable and transparent.

ConsSalary is poor. Raises are poor. Promotions come with little or no extra money. Benefits are average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing more in your employees. I have seen a lot of good talent leave in the last year for higher paying jobs. NI has a good company culture, but you can't feed your family with good culture.

Quickly growing company with fun work environment

Marketing (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsMy work always felt important and necessary to keep the company going. My boss was a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to teach and answer questions.

ConsThe internally used technology was a bit outdated and sometimes very frustrating. My computer was also a bit outdated. I also felt like some days I would get stuck at my desk working nonstop.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place for Recent Graduates and Senior Professionals Looking for Work-Life Balance

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsStrong culture focused on teamwork. Community-oriented business that dedicates employee time and money to education initiatives. Great program for building recent college grads into engineering leaders. Core focus on customer success and satisfaction. Fantastic CEO!

ConsMust be an engineer to advance, even in marketing-focused roles. Too internally focused on building consensus and having the "perfect plan." Slow-paced, meeting-obsessed culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees to make decisions. For example, often times, I had to present information to every individual on the working team and then present the same information to the group as a whole. It would have been more efficient to get buy-in virtually first or present the information to the group as a whole first. Then, schedule a follow-up meeting if things need to get hashed out.

Changing strategies

Field Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsCompany is focusing on having better customer experience, and employees being more goal oriented to achieve that. Creates career opportunities.

ConsChanges are not happening at the same time. So every 6 months there are new things to work on or you just lost 6 months of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has the overall idea of where the company is moving. This adjustment has to be gradual and well explained.

So far so good

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Batu Maung (Malaysia)

Pros- Working environment
    - Flexible hour
    - Very friendly and helpful colleagues
    - Lots of team event

ConsBar aside average salary, I can't really think of any downside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work .

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Debrecen (Hungary)

ProsGood salaries.
    Management is fast to react.
    Very nice environment.
    Nice people to work with who are helpful.

ConsNot so easy to advance in career, if you start with an acceptable salary you most likely won't earn much more even if you take a further step in your career. Even if you apply for a job with "Software Engineer" you may end up as tester of service desk agent. Software Engineer means every possible IT job for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop using Software Engineer for all IT jobs. Service Desk agent is SD agent while a software engineer uses programming languages not SM9 ticketing system.

Great place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe people are friendly and you are encouraged to maintain a good work life balance. The culture is one of a kind and you can be creative in how you do your job. They encourage personal growth. They also take care of their top performers

ConsThe pay could be better

good work culture

Proswork life balance is perfect

Consnot too much challenge work in shanghai office

It is a good place to work in, but the salary is not so good.

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsNice people to work with.
    Stable company.

ConsSalary is not so good.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!