National Instruments

Updated 26 November 2014
3.7

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and good work/life balance; stable employment outlook (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

National Instruments is Dedicated to its Employees

Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, Values, Products, Vision, Growth

Cons

Compensation and retention... although it's decent, the quality of employees tends to attract other companies to come in and offer much more money.

Keep working to give employees a good reason to stay long term

Great place to work!

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- The campus is beautiful and offers a full sized basketball court and two sand volleyball courts.
    - Lots of summer activities for interns.
    - Projects are meaningful and fun.
    - Great place to work, the culture is awesome and the CEO is very visible.

The thing about National Instruments is that it is a company of engineers run by engineers. The CEO Dr. T is an EE major from the University of Texas. And his competency trickles down to the senior management. There is no micromanaging of any kind here. Everyone in the company is very approachable.

Cons

- Some of the workflow processes are old.
    - Pay is moderate.

Culture driven workplace

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 21 years, and they are definitely focused on making sure the work environment caters to the employee. They believe in the work/life balance, and offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to hours of work. Their benefits offering is very impressive.

Cons

The salaries for mid level management positions are not as competitive as what I have seen based on my research of similar positions in the market. They do balance that very well with an impressive benefits offering.

Great place to work

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship program at National Instruments is well organized and there is a good support system in place for interns. The project that I was given to work on was meaningful and I was able to voice my opinions to shape the feature I developed over the course of my internship. The atmosphere of the company is also very good and integrating into the full-time team went smoothly.

Cons

The salary that I was offered was lower than that of other companies, although I chose to work here because I felt like my values matched very well with that of the company.

Excellent work place

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Firstly, flexible work time. Great place to learn and accumulate experience. Additionally, there are a lot of interesting projects that helps college student to explore their potential.

Cons

Salaries is below average. The atmosphere is active but sometimes a little bit noisy. And sometimes it is hard to find the right person who in charge of the issue.

It will be better that to have a mentor experts at on-going project and available for most of the time.

Good Company

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern I in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern I in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great to work with. My project was a bit open ended, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cons

It was a little monotonous. It's a classic 9am to 5pm job. I wasn't allowed to put in any overtime. I got tired of working on the same project day in, day out - I could have used a little variation.

Balance lifestyle, friendly

Former Employee - Analog Hardware Engineer in Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Analog Hardware Engineer in Bayan Lepas (Malaysia)

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, take care of employees, good relationship with peers etc.

Cons

It may be constraint the limit on the certain field.

Good work environment

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NI is a great place to learn and grow. There are lots of opportunities to expand your abilities and create a new role for yourself. Everyone is hard working and there's a good sense of teamwork. NI really is on the edge when it comes to new technologies which makes it an exciting place to work.

Cons

Compensation is the biggest con. Base salaries tend to be lower than the industry average. This used to be offset by a stable environment and performance bonuses, but with company performance waning in the past few years, those perks haven't been as attractive. Also, hard work is expected, but not always rewarded. Management can be a little too fluid as folks are encouraged to seek personal growth which results in lower and mid level managers moving around a lot.

Be more attentive to employee's needs compensation wise. Balance personal growth with stable management. Encourage managers to be in a role for at least 2 years before moving to a different position.

National Instruments General Overview

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People: smart, young, approachable, friendly
    Work environment: relaxed
    Work flexibility: great work flexibility. Life balance is valued. Depending on your manager you may have the opportunity to work from home a couple of times a week
    Benefits are good.

Cons

Salary is below average and there are not many opportunities for advancement.

They have a great internship program, and worth while projects to work on.

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer Intern in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer Intern in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Freedom to work on your own schedule, as long as you can work your 40 hours per week. Laid back work place. I learned a lot about product's life cycles and relevant technical information.

Cons

Lower than average pay compared to other similar tech companies. My mentor some what neglected me, but was always willing to help if I pushed it out of him.

National Instruments Photos