National Instruments

Updated 17 December 2014
3.6

National Instruments Chairman, President, and CEO James J. Truchard
James J. Truchard

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and good work/life balance; stable employment outlook (in 97 reviews)

• The people are generally brilliant and the work environment is healthy (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Although the work/life balance was in general, sometimes the work could take over (in 14 reviews)

• Organizational structure and consensus culture are huge roadblocks in the decision making process (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture driven workplace

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 21 years, and they are definitely focused on making sure the work environment caters to the employee. They believe in the work/life balance, and offer a lot of flexibility when it comes to hours of work. Their benefits offering is very impressive.

Cons

The salaries for mid level management positions are not as competitive as what I have seen based on my research of similar positions in the market. They do balance that very well with an impressive benefits offering.

NI is more concerned to be known as a Great Employer than actually being one

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Employees are smart, knowledgeable, and approachable;
    - Benefits include 401(k) matching, health care, dental care, medical prescriptions, and most of the minimum expected benefits in the industry.

Cons

- Under-par compensation
    - Lack of recognition in teams working on less known National Instruments product
    - Diminishing health benefits
    - Very few opportunities to grow
    - Books not as open as they claim to be

Spend less resources trying to be on a Best Employer list and more in being one a retaining, what you call, the best and the brightest.

A good place to start as a software developer

Former Employee - Tenured Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Tenured Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Established, stable company
    * Lots of smart people
    * Customers do amazing things with NI products
    * Learn basics of software development

NI was a great place to start a career. I learned a ton and worked with very smart coworkers.

Cons

NI was once a fast growth tech company with lots of innovation and excitement. Now it has matured and hit a plateau, becoming a medium sized company where it's hard to be more than a cog in the machine.

A handful of senior technical people are the gatekeepers to what and how things are done. Those ways are not usually industry standard or industry leading, but somewhat home-grown, "we do things differently because we are different from other software development companies", and so you will not get exposed to better concepts because these senior tech gatekeepers will disallow them. Also, the range of technologies you will work on is narrow: primarily desktop software, not web or mobile.

Without having been at NI for ten to twenty years, you will not get to become one of these gatekeepers. NI has long prized hiring from college, promoting from within, and even people who have been at the company five years are considered relatively new. This is a strength and a weakness. There ends up being an in-bred tunnel vision on improving things because everyone at NI thinks they are an exception to the rule that is proven to work in the industry.

Challenge the senior technical gatekeepers. Give other developers a larger voice so that new ideas can come in. Hire senior tech people from other companies who bring better ideas. Adopt software development best practices and quit thinking you are different than other software development houses.

Fantastic place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work culture - absolutely brilliant. Your colleagues are brilliant, helpful and fun! You can come and go as you like as long as you finish your work. Work-life balance is fantastic.

Cons

Promotions may be a little hard. No real training, you must learn as you go along. Pay for interns is not as high as other internships. Apart from this, no real cons from my experience.

Perhaps the pay scale for interns can be higher.

As time passes, there seems to be many inefficiencies and not as much investment in the employees.

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture driven, location is nice

Cons

Low salary, benefits are not great, management is incompetent

Learn how to manage a team. Learn how to back up your employees instead of being concerned about advancing your own career or covering your own mistakes. Be a leader.

NI gets worse the bigger it gets and all the it cares about is growing

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance
    The job offers you get when you leave after a few years

Cons

Compensation
    Culture stability
    Senior Management
    Career growth after 5 years
    Denial about future prospects of company growth

You know what you're doing; it's intentional. Keep trying to woo interns and new hires while screwing the people who actually make products that produce revenue for the company until they're so underpaid and frustrated that they leave.

Going downhill

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

work/life balance is still pretty good. It still has a laidback culture. The campus is beautiful. It is a good place to start out a career.

Cons

If you are an intern or new it is a great place, but those that have been there a long time know better. The company has been going downhill for the last 3 or 4 years, which coincides with management's push to be a billion dollar company. The execs have forgotten what got them there and now seem to only care about their own pocket books. They are closing the Austin manufacturing and about 200 people will be out of a job. But truth be told some execs have been wanting to close down the Austin mfg operations for years. The only people who advance are the brown-nosers as is evidenced by the team leaders in manufacturing getting placed in other positions over qualified workers. The consensus driven culture makes it impossible to get projects completed. Managers have no clue what their team members do for them. In hindsight I wish I had never come to work here. It has been 10 years wasted, but that's soon to change.

Learn and understand what your team members do. Make sure your team is adding true value to the company. Try promoting those who are qualified rather than those who kiss your butts. Don't be afraid to empower your employees to make decisions. Try listening to what your employees have to say, even if their opinion does not match yours.

Overall good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Work is rewarding, especially if you work on a high visibility projects.
    - Flexible schedule, but expect to work long hours to meet deadlines.
    - Relatively decent medical benefits, although they've been declining over the years.
    - Relatively stable employer.

Cons

- Poor work/life balance
    - Not many career opportunities available unless you start as an application engineer. Promotion beyond senior depends on whether you have the opportunity to work on high visibility projects.
    - Substandard pay. Don't expect bonuses even if you do good work, except for the profit sharing that everyone gets.

Reward your employees better when they perform well.

Very good culture for the first 12 years, now it is run by the books to increase profits over saving the culture.

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company if you are in R&D. If you are in Manufacturing it is a gamble.

Cons

Lower pay, and a very young workforce with limited knowledge.

stick with the culture and don't sacrifice headcount for higher gross margins.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship program at National Instruments is well organized and there is a good support system in place for interns. The project that I was given to work on was meaningful and I was able to voice my opinions to shape the feature I developed over the course of my internship. The atmosphere of the company is also very good and integrating into the full-time team went smoothly.

Cons

The salary that I was offered was lower than that of other companies, although I chose to work here because I felt like my values matched very well with that of the company.

National Instruments Photos