National Oilwell Varco Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated 20 August 2014
Updated 20 August 2014

3.5

Clay C. Williams

Pros
  • There is an excellent work/life balance in my position (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits programs for salaried individuals (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Some problems with middle management (in 7 reviews)

• no work life balance and bad management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

144 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Seem to care for their employees. They support continued training and will pay for other training opportunities People are great and many chances to travel. Insurance is great.

Cons

Pay may be a little low compared to other Oil and Gas companies

Love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been here for over 5 years and have been in several positions. Each position gets better and better! As long as you come into work and do your job, you will succeed.

Cons

None, I actually left NOV and came back a year later.

Only thing is...watch how employees treat others. No one likes mean people!

A good place to gain experience in the Oil and Gas Industry

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable job situation; low micromanagement; wide range of products and services; Benefits are excellent and Vacation days afforded to new employees is the most I have seen anywhere; Opportunity is there to learn and gain valuable experience in the Oil and Gas Services Industry

Cons

Working environment is far too political; Salary is below what competitors pay; little opportunity to develop skills and move up in one's career.

Consider taking more consideration with where employees want to take their careers, instead of putting them on career paths based on what they perceive they would be best in. Strengths analysis is important to determine where an employee will best fit, but there should be more focus as well on where the employee wants to work at.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best job I have had in last 15 years. Management in F&A very supportive.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Management of Finance and Accounting in Rigs Solutions division were most competent and employee oriented. Direct reports were very patient thru the learning phase. Allowed me to learn from my mistakes.

Cons

The pace is hectic, but it makes the day go by fast....

Keep focus for your continued success

Great company that truly supports the employees.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits benefits benefits. The healthcare benefits are the best out there. 401K is also great. There are numerous worldwide locations to find work.

Cons

NOV is a big corporation and change is hard to influence.

Consider changing the website. In my opinion, it is not representative of a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

Excellent company to work for, very different from the three major oil and gas service companies

Current Employee - Remote/Real Time Drilling Optimization  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Remote/Real Time Drilling Optimization in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits are about the same as the industry, maybe a bit better. training is flexible and depends a lot on your manager. Working here is like working for a family owned company even this is a large company

Cons

personal growth maybe an issue and it depends on your manager and the department you work for

has to work better on personal development and career path, especially for professionals like engineers

Great Atmosphere, but tough to get things done

Current Employee - Structural Engineer  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere and interesting work

Cons

Poorly organized so it's tough to find old design packages

Great place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very much work life balance

Cons

you may have to work more than 40 hours

look at what the employee life goals are

Buddy Buddy System At Elmar

Former Employee - Many  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Many in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health benefits, potential for overtime if you need it. Good people to work with but not socialize with. Promotions available if you know the right people.

Cons

Pay is a joke compared to other oil & gas industries. A high number of leaders in middle management is a COMPLETE waste of company money. They are not held accountable for their roles in the future demise of this company. Advancements are based solely on who you kiss up to. Inexperienced workers are promoted based on the friendship and nepotism system.

Raises to match other comparable companies are probably out of the question, but eliminating managing positions that can clearly be done by an average employee can give the company flexibility to pay more. But good luck with that.

Lots of potential ruined by major problems.

Former Employee - QC Inspector  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - QC Inspector in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at National Oilwell Varco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of overtime. Superb benefits package. They pay for your work clothes, boots, Rx glasses, and job related professional organization dues. NOV is involved in just about every facet of the oilfield so there is also a lot to learn from a company like this. This place looks great on your resume.

Cons

Poor pay compared with the rest of the industry. They want you there all day every day, Sundays, holidays you name it. However the biggest problem I saw was that management was very out of touch. My superiors has their jobs due to friendships, family, and even on the job injury, not for their qualifications. I am not an old man and I had more experience in my industry than most all of them. I really wish that was an exaggeration. Fake it till you make it might work for some places, but you just can't fake experience that you don't have. For obvious reasons the turnover was very high. This makes it a very difficult environment to work in when people are constantly coming and going. I was always either short handed or training someone.

Your company has a lot of potential to be a great place. However, until the pay scale and company culture is up to the standards of the rest of the industry, NOV will just be a training grounds and stepping stone for skilled workers, not a career.

Worked for National Oilwell Varco? Contribute to the Community!