Nationwide Building Society

65 reviews filtered by
  • United Kingdom
3.5
Graham Beale

1. Good company to work with ,IT team very friendly family environment.

Current Contractor - Software Developer in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Learn skills and sociable environment ,commanding loyalty and good work ethic.

Cons

Subject to outsourcing like most companies.

Advice to Management

Good place to work with.

2. personal banking manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Nice induction at training centres, great quality supervisor who is always helpful

Cons

Compliance over the top, lots of observations and managers have different criteria at rating your performance so bonus depends on your manager

Advice to Management

consider what the person wants too as most decisions are made by managers without considering your opinion, rushed decisions

3. Large company with a small company values.

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

Very loyal employee base which is promoted by the company values

Cons

sometimes restricted by bureaucracy, internally and externally generated

5. very stressful,high turnover,no respect for employees

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

i don't see any pros other than 9 to 5 timings

Cons

sorry to say but not good company to work for won't recommend to any of my friend

Advice to Management

learn from good companies in terms of how to treat staff

Great start to my career

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

- Management can be supportive of your outside life if you let them in
    - Always get a lunch break, even if it is 10 minutes they allow you to leave early or pay you for the rest
    - There are opportunities fr those who make the effort to look for them.

Cons

- It's not always a 9-5 job, I can be there from 8 - 5.30 sometimes, and as salary work, you won't get paid the extra.

Advice to Management

- Relay all the messages to all the areas so there can be no confusion.
    - Do what you expect everyone else to do, don't just preach it.

7. An IT department that doesn't know what it's doing. Lead by ineffectual management.

Former Employee - Principal Applications Developer in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nationwide have good benefits and are really flexible around work hours and working from home. A 35 hour week is becoming rare but Nationwide has stuck to it.

Head office has good facilities, restaurant, coffee shop, gym and hairdressers.

Cons

Every department is different, I was in a Practice in Group Operations. The director has publicly stated his desire not to be a software house. I joined after a round of redundancies PRISM (branded restructuring) and left after another 'Working with partners'.

Software development is now supposed to be delivered by 'partners' again this actually means software development has been outsourced to IBM, Accenture & TCS.

You would have thought that Nationwide would have learned from the disaster that the Voyager programme was (led by IBM). But instead they think these 'IT specialists' can do it better than there thinly stretched internal teams. Which by now is probably true as it's died a death by a thousand cuts.

The situation has been made worse by the fact that most of the senior management has been recruited from x-lloyds people. Who clearly believe outsourcing is the answer.

They've done this outsourcing without having any robust Quality Assurance function in place beforehand - so don't have a measure of software quality before outsourcing so can't measure if it's being improved. I know of specific examples where it has got much worse. TCS being the main problem.

Management is by fear, all senior managers have very slopey shoulders and don't want to be seen taking any accountability in case something goes wrong. I heard a rumour that the head of my practice had admitted he walked around with a resignation letter in his jacket. So he could have it to hand in a seconds notice. Really gives people a sense he's committed and believes in all the things he was trying to sell to his people.

From talking to other people around the business, no one was happy. I hope that there is, and someone leaves a positive review. I just haven't meant them there.

Advice to Management

I predict in 2015 that Nationwide Building Society will have a major IT incident in the news that will be directly attributable to the outsourcing if it's IT development. Once investigated by the FCA it will concluded that Nationwide has lost control of its IT estate and give it a large fine in the millions of pounds.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on how to stop it from happening.

8. Excellent company to work for in head offices

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, reasonable benefits, excellent pension for those in the original scheme. Good volunteering and staff benefits

Cons

Could do more with home working and flexible working for employed staff, contractors get easier access to changes in working times

Advice to Management

Flexible working and home working for Admin staff and IT staff is a winner for Society and staff

9. Lives it's values

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse opportunities, excellent training, collaborative culture. They walk the talk.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

PRIDE works

10. Enterprise Architecture at Nationwide Building Society

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of new opportunities and challenges to make your mark and change things for the better. Good working atmosphere and all stakeholders on single site. Recognition of the need to change, if not the pace and nature of change.

Cons

Ultra conservative, risk adverse, despite need to be "Digital" and play catch up with peers. Poor levels of training and tool support. Many silos and political obstacles to overcome. Unique mix of new hires and Swindon based long timers...

11. Bank masquerading as a building society

Former Employee - Customer Representative in Norwich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in Norwich, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Reasonable levels of oversight
    Room for career progression

Cons

Pressure to hit sales targets dressed up as "helping our customers"
    Outdated software and systems
    High-level management more interested in making money than employee or customer welfare
    Compensation below market average

Advice to Management

Remember: You're a building society NOT a bank. Customer's don't want flustered staff desperately trying to flog them credit cards and loans at the counter while a manage stands behind them with a clipboard to ensure targets are met.

Nationwide Building Society Photos