Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Graham Beale

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good to customers, but a slightly strange place to work

Personal Banking Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe vast majority of staff want to do the right thing for customers, which can be unusual in some financial institutions. Good employee benefits, although employee mortgages could be better

ConsNationwide is not sure what it is. As a building society, and closely following the new FCA regulations, it tries not to come across as too salesy, but then is very sales-oriented internally. Massive company politics. Tends to outsource a lot of capabilities, which can be frustrating for staff and customers.

Very freindly enviroment to work

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society

ProsVery freindly enviroment, fexible working hours and clever people. Nice spacious offices with lots of helpful work mates. Excellent working hours

Consthe location off the offices are in swindon and the surrounding area does not allow much networking

NATIONWIDE

Mortgage Administrator (Former Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for less than a year

ProsExcelllent company to work for great environment and good company values.

ConsContract work, so job security was unsure however they always looked to renew or extend contracts so in some ways this was stable. However I would have preferred to be on a full time permanent contract.

Good company on face value, hard to progress into different areas

Customer Account Manager (Former Employee)
Taunton, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

ProsGood values
Good quarterly bonus structure - uncapped
Good quality leads if you have solid customer representatives passing them through

ConsLittle to no progression to different positions within the company
High turnover of staff
Lack of support from higher management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to hold on to key staff and promote from within

Positive company to work for who stick strictly to the rules. Still just as hard to move up unless your face fits.

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than a year

ProsChallenging but fair targets. good customer service.

Consdifficult to move up unless your face fits. outdated systems,

Good place to work

Senior Auditor (Current Employee)
Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood place to work if you want a balance of work and life.

ConsThe salaries for the different roles could be better. If you want more money it may be better to look at one of the banks.

changing business with great potential

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, drive, customer focus

ConsLots of cabinet reshuffles which can be distracting and unsettling

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with one strategy!

I was trained briefly by Nationwide

Case Owner (Former Employee)
Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for less than a year

ProsDifficult to assess this as I was released on day one with my post training 'team'. I was informed that the work was not for me by a rather nasty manager. I subsequently joined Barclays and love it.

ConsVery narrow minded management stifles any actual talent or ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance! Why train someone for nearly 5 weeks only to release them at a days notice.

Nationwide - On Your Side... or maybe not.

Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA safe company that has survived the financial meltdown.

Big enough to offer opportunities to progress your career, but not too big that you're just a faceless individual.

Great people that regularly go the extra mile.

Easy way to start a career in the finance industry.

Reasonable salaries.

Stress-free work that isn't particularly challenging.

ConsThis may not be apparent from the outside but Nationwide is a hugely dull company to work for. Despite being the first UK provider to offer online banking, Nationwide no longer innovates and is now lagging behind its competitors in areas where it used to be a market leader.

The Executive Directors, and in particular the CEO, are so risk-adverse that it has stifled innovation.

Nationwide's public image is confused as a result of mixed messages from the marketing department.

Incessant 'cost optimisation' programs have adversely affected every division across the entire society and there has been little investment made since the disastrous Voyager program (with the exception of the swanky new office in London for the Chief Exec).

IT systems are outdated and in desperate need of modernisation.

Massive amounts of outsourcing have resulted in many talented people leaving the organisation and the loss of invaluable skills and experience.

Promotions are often given based on tenure not competence, and it is widespread that someone whose "face fits" is promoted to a new role in a different department despite having no knowledge of that department or the role they are now performing - this is particularly apparent within the IT division.

Training budgets are laughable... and remarkably are now being cut even further. Classroom courses are unheard of, and even web-based training is no longer available.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using your immediate direct reports as your sole source of information - they're telling you what they think you want to hear and not what is actually happening.

Invest in your remaining staff and stop the outsourcing - none of the existing strategic partners are working in the interest of Nationwide or our customers. Train your staff and work to retain them!

Stop trying to compete with Barclays, HSBC, Santander, etc... and recognise what it is that makes Nationwide different. Having an office in Threadneedle Street is of no benefit to the millions of customers who choose to bank with Nationwide - why was (and still is) so much money wasted on this white elephant?

Stop using contractors for project managers; they are only interested in delivering on time but don't care about delivering within scope or budget as they'll be gone once they've delivered their sub-standard project.

Reward your staff. Empty promises such as Clear Blue Water do not count and are ultimately counter-productive.

Good experience of finance sector

Test Lead (Current Employee)
Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWide variety of projects gives a good sense of the business and finance industry, excellent facilities, pro-active people who want to do a good job. Projects can be challenging and fun if your are assigned the right ones.

ConsThe business outsources everything to offshore or third party suppliers, meaning that very little comes from Nationwide itself. The direction of the company seems to suggest most services will be conducted offshore in the near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring professional people with a drive for quality will always beat hiring three times the staff for half the cost. On shore experties should not be overlooked.

Worked for Nationwide Building Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nationwide Building Society reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nationwide Building Society CEO Graham Beale. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Nationwide Building Society employees.