Nationwide Building Society

Updated 10 October 2014
Updated 10 October 2014
3.5

Graham Beale

Pros
  • Great people employed, really good team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low salaries respect the competition (in 4 reviews)

• Some very questionable decisions are made by senior management which implies they don't really know what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So PROUD to work for such an HONEST company

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding Job benefits. Success is recognised. Nationwide lives and breathes what we stand by and it all about the people. Highly challenging but highly rewarding. We get rewarded for doing the right thing for our customers, not for the benefit of the company. career development is great. for those willing to work hard... that is. I have had 5 promotions in 5 years.

Cons

demands of the job and stress... but its all worth it.

Think about the tools which are needed to support making managers life even better - laptops for ALL BMs not just SBMs.

a great place to work - good people and culture

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

clear company values which are embedded in how things are done. succesful business model. good work life balance

Cons

good brand - but can be a little shy in telling the wider world about themselves

Such a friendly and nurturing place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for nationwide for over a year and have yet to find any major faults. They truly do support you with your development and encourage you to expand out of your comfort zones. Since being at nationwide i have become a lot more confident with myself mainly thanks to my branch manager. The people i work with are fun and enthusiastic. They put their all in to what they do and we all help each other. I would 100% recommend nationwide to work for as you get back what you put in. They are great for acknowledging achievements and helping you get to where you want to be.

Cons

Just a tiny one .... systems need a bit of improvement but i know that is something that is being worked on at the moment.

I work in a branch and would love to know more about head office maybe visit and see the areas that i am interested in progressing to. Not sure how people in branches can go about doing this?

Best Company to Work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

Really is a great place to work with extremely helpful and friendly staff. Believe in putting their employees first and look after their staff. My manager in particular is an asset to the business and I am grateful to work for her

Cons

Systems not fit for purpose and often are off-line. This results in added pressure to an ever burgeoning workload

Do not work at Nationwide if you are an intelligent hard worker who doesn't "play the game"

Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Pros

1) Working 9-5.
    2) Lunch break along with two 15 minute breaks.
    3) Good colleagues for the most part.

Cons

1) The rating system is based around "Behaviours" and "Tasks". Behaviours has a lot more weight to it and unless you are willing to kiss up to the managers you will not get a large bonus, pay rise or promotion.
    2) Archaic company using old computer systems stuck in a red ocean strategy.
    3) Do not value higher education.
    4) Sexism - 65-70% of the workforce are women including most managers. Makes it harder for men to succeed who are just as capable if not more so.
    5) Lack of opportunity. Most roles in Swindon where obviously not many people want to live.
    6) Sychophantic culture.
    7) Low salaries. Benchmarks are at bottom of national average and in some cases even lower. Causes high staff churn and makes work less productive and efficient.

1) Move people into roles they are educated for and can succeed in.
    2) Place more/most emphasis on work and not how much you demonstrate "PRIDE" and being really happy and positive all the time.
    3) Understand the true value of your employees.
    4) More opportunities in other locations rather than just Swindon.
    5) Higher salaries.

Good to work for and room for improvement.

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Needs of the customer are always put first.
    -Excellent products compared to competitors.
    -If you want to work hard and display a good attitude you won't have any issues.
    -Friendly colleagues, team spirit is promoted.
    -Keeping with the times re: digital.
    -Competitive salaries.

Cons

-Pay scales don't leave much wiggle room once you've been in the same job role a few years, longer-term employees are more inclined to think 'what's the point?'.
    -External staff with less experience are brought in on higher salaries.
    -Recruitment is painfully slow at times leaving branches short staffed.

Be more on the ball with recruitment.

I love working here, but it isn't without it's challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Nationwide Building Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The head office building is great. Everything you need is on site and there is a great buzz. Benefits are good, pension after 2yrs service is also really good. The people you work with are on the whole very helpful and willing to give you their time to help. Its not a place full of egos or people who are all me me me. Having had a number of jobs elsewhere this is by far the best place I've worked.

Cons

Parking isn't great, get in early if you want a space! Depending on the business area things can get quite political, so like anywhere work out who you can trust and who you can't. It can be quite difficult to get things done at speed due to having to get things done by committee.

Don't listen to all the talk, look out for and reward the people who keep their head down and get the job done - we Ned more doers and less talkers!

Good to gain experience

Current Employee - Group Distribution in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

The atmosphere, on the whole, is positive. The majority of people are trying to do the right thing. Good pension.

Cons

Some very questionable decisions are made by senior management which implies they don't really know what they are doing.
    Might advertise being on customers side and that they 'look after their people', reality is there are too many barriers to really achieve anything great. Everything, and I mean everything, is done by committee, very hierarchical.

Try to reduce conflicts between departments by making it easier for people to do their job and actually make a difference

You will be ok if your in "the club"

Current Employee - PBM in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PBM in Bath, England (UK)

Pros

Good customer service ethic and good attitude to risk. Trusting customer base.
    Good quality financial products that you can be proud of.

Cons

Always behind the competition. Followers not leaders
    Ageing systems.
    can only progress career if your in with the managers.
    Cost cutting is getting ridiculous despite great profits
    Huge pressure to hit targets which has increased massively despite management insisting that they have done away with targets

Your ideas and values do not always filter down in the way you think they do. Should consult more with branches when making changes especially when you havent wormed in a branch. Lead from the front not watch what the competition does and then react.

Let down

I worked at Nationwide Building Society

Pros

Good pay and conditions, great people, good location. If you live near Swindon then you'll be ok, any where else keep looking.

Cons

Talk a good game on putting customer First and enabling employees, but it is just gloss. Management don't have a clue, and projects are run like a car crash.

Stop trying to be a bank, really believe that building societies are better.

Nationwide Building Society Photos