Nationwide Financial

Updated 29 September 2014
3.6

Nationwide Financial CEO Steve S. Rasmussen
Steve S. Rasmussen

Pros
  • Sometimes the work/life balance could be better (in 5 reviews)

• Great people and a great leadership team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You may not get rich at Nationwide, but you can make good money and have a work life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Associate Director

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Nationwide Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and a great leadership team.

Cons

None at this time, promise.

Great people and a great leadership team.

Contractors beware of NW

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Nationwide Financial as a contractor

Pros

The company has many contractors who work there for long-term. Also, management balances the number of FTEs and contractors on a projects. The reason behind the balance is more than just budget.

Cons

For starters the company does not pay non-management full-time employees (FTE) well. Their performance evaluation is skewed. I have worked with many excellent FTEs who were rated as fair (2 out of 5) while incompetent FTEs were recognized and promoted. Because many FTEs are not recognized for the excellence, they become competitive and vile towards contractors. The reason for this is because the company cultivates a negative culture towards contractors. The company goes out of their way to make a distinction between FTEs and contractors.

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Dublin, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dublin, OH (US)

I worked at Nationwide Financial as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

A friendly work environment
    A good amount of team bonding

Cons

I wasn't given a lot of training and I had to ask for more.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nationwide

I worked at Nationwide Financial as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Office culture was good, the benefits and salary were average.

Cons

Promotion potential was lacking, and middle management was not always the best at providing direction.

Entry level to novice opportunity

Current Employee - Producer  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Producer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Nationwide Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Prospecting existing client base volume

Cons

Below industry standard commission rates

Step up commission level for producers

Great Internship

Current Employee - IT Analysis  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analysis in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Nationwide Financial part-time for more than a year

Pros

management, team oriented, technology, organized, importance on interns

Cons

Little, work, contract, work, nothing else

Involve everyone in the team.

Great benefits, very transparent but hard to move around at the upper levels

I have been working at Nationwide Financial

Pros

Great culture. Fun and friendly environment. Sometimes the work/life balance could be better. Management at all levels does a great job of being transparent and living the values. There is a very diverse workforce that helps in developing solutions and products.

Cons

The opportunities to move around the company at the higher bands (F and G) could be better communicated and made available. There is still some politics and "who you know" verses job skills. It is much better that it was though.

A great place for politicians.. not for true salespeople or hungry professionals

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler  in  Dublin, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Dublin, OH (US)

I have been working at Nationwide Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nationwide will give you a salary, some pretty decent benefits, paid time off ("your time" to use as you wish, whenever you wish, yeah right.. more on that in the cons) and a steady, albeit maddingly boring, job.

Coast along and just "make your numbers" and you'll never get fired.

Mediocre and not that intelligent? You're welcome with open arms

No hard work, ambition, or overtime required

If you get in the right place, at the right time, on the wholesaling teams, you can make bank for doing nothing at all pretty much

You can hide in the cracks of the massive bureaucracy. Just smile and say some generic phrases like "I'd like to share a best practice" and "synergy is very important right now" and you'll be left alone and praised

Cons

Politics unlike anything you'll ever see.... corporate fat cats getting butts kissed

Low pay compared to industry

You can get stuck very easy, I've seen extremely talented guys get passed over for promotions dozens of times, and they've been in their position, killing it, for 8+ years.... you can get politically blacklisted at the snap of a hat

You'll probably never go anywhere, and after a few years they'll start to treat you worse

Great Place to Learn and Grow

Current Employee - Associate Actuary  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Actuary in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Nationwide Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been impressed with the transparency that upper management gives regarding earnings and expenses. They also do a great job through out the year telling you how the bonus structure looks (done quarterly). I was even surprised when HR sent out emails telling everyone that they should up their 401(k) because bonuses are given out and that money is not put into the 401(k) automatically.

The company is doing very well. Nationwide has 2 pillars P&C (auto, home, commercial, ect.) and Life (financial, life insurance, annuities, group & health, ect.) They earn about the same revenue each year now making Nationwide the most diverse insurance company in America. I really am confident that there is no single one even that can completely destroy this company (well there could be, but I think everyone in the nation/world would have a lot bigger issues than how my employer is doing). Nationwide also has many more products with special risk, vet pet insurance, agribusiness and much more.

The pay isn't to bad either, at least where I sit. I was able to get a raise when I moved here from another company. I feel like they are competitive and overall work to get you to a point that is equal to your peers. Nothing is perfect, but they do try by being transparent with paybands. Each job has a payband of A-H. H being AVP level and up. Bonuses start at Level A. A-C at 1.5%, D-F at 2.0%. G&H use a different bonus model that is dependent on the earnings of your department and not just the enterprise. G bands get 5% and H bands much more. All bonuses are multiplied by a factor 0 through 2 based on metrics. We've done well the last few years. getting over a 1.5 for 2013.

Work life balance is pretty good. Depending on your level and department some may work more than others. I was a consultant before and the balance can not even be compared. I can leave after 8 hours if I want/need.

Vacation time is PTO and dependent on PayBand Level and years of experience.

401(k) is 3% on 6%. Nationwide has a pension that basically gets you to the other 3%. I verified that through using my actuarial background/experience.

Engagement is very important and they do surveys every year. Often times rewarding teams upper management for good engagement.

There are perks like blue jackets tickets and other engagement activities throughout the year.

Cons

Getting into Nationwide can be somewhat difficult if you didn't land here out of college. Many times they hire within and then fill low positions with new people out of college typically or people willing to go down a level. I fortunately didn't have to go down a level, but I received a very hard interview process to get the job. In my opinion harder because I wasn't a Nationwider.

Health Benefits are eh. They have lots of coverage but now use high deductible plans and then fund back with HSA's. They also make people jump through hoops with fitness plans and health numbers to get money back. Spouses with coverage at their employer will have to pay more to get on the Nationwide plan.

401(k) could be better, but is on par wit the industry.

Career discussions really rely on your manager and I can see how people could get lost in a large company.

Actuarial program is good on study time, but bad on pay and bonuses. They use a $500 per hour model which is the lowest I've ever seen. Most companies are $700 and my previous employers moved to $1,000.

HR is implementing a career focus plan. Please use this and actually talk to your employees about their career instead of just living in the moment. Also if you want to cut expenses, don't worry about printing, worry about our complex distribution and focusing on DIRECT sales.

An amazing opportunity for anyone in this industry.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Nationwide Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

They value you individually as an employee. They provide you with all of the recipes for success. Your advancement is completely up to you; in a world where nothing comes to you for free, you'll want to have a driver for more if you're trying to advance. Dress and work for the position you want, not the position you have.

Cons

Introductory pay may not be as sufficient to current financial needs, dependent on the person, but the room for growth far exceeds any initial benefits. If you don't stand out as an employee or as a hard worker, you may be in jeopardy of moving up. Also, it seems the only real way to get offered an introductory position is through a contractor.

Advice to management? Maybe focus less on politics and focus more on the employee putting in the hard work. I've seen some instances where people are getting paid drastically more and aren't as capable or hard working as their peers.

Nationwide Financial Photos

Nationwide Building

+ Add Photo

Worked for Nationwide Financial? Contribute to the Community!