NetApp Reviews

3.7
1,108 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

High Performers

Former Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Melbourne
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Melbourne

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are very focused on success, success is very well congratulated.
    No deal is off the table if you can sell the idea of it, you are left to drive your own business.

Cons

A little ambiguous in the way you need to run your own show. Management are very focused on forward looking and ensuring that numbers are met which is fair enough.

A little more matrix management to ensure that communication flows are a little more pronounced so as to remove ambiguity.

An amazing culture and experience with an awesome project to work on and invaluable feedback and suggestions by my team.

Former Employee - Software  in  Wichita, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Software in Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

NetApp's values and culture are among the best! Plenty of room for personal growth by working hard and solving challenging problems every day. Perfect balance between work and life. Everyone at the Wichita office is given his/her own cube which is really cool!

Cons

I did not really find any disadvantages while interning here.

Positive

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company environment and colleagues

Cons

management cares more about climbing corporate ladder than own team

less stepping on employees to please customers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Internship program was great!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, benefits, campus, perks. My summer internship there was both a great learning experience and enjoyable. Even as an intern I felt like I was making an impact.

Cons

Hard to think of many, but because of the smaller size of the company they expect a lot out of their employees.

Great place to work, a little behind the times.

Former Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, everyone is "Drinking the Cool-Aid." People are proud of the company.

Cons

No pay increase after 3 years. No clear career path.

Innovate, keep working on good management tools. Expand portfolio.

One of the great places to work in

Former Employee - Sales  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Sales in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company culture, the people are supportive and fun to hang with.

Cons

Lack of innovation and competition has caught up with its technology.

Got to innovate faster and come out with another killer product.

Great Company

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer  in  Research Triangle Park, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

NetApp has an amazing set of products and solutions for enterprise data storage. NetApp has a well-communicated strategy to approach a changing IT landscape. The culture is good and the focus on being a great place to work with a good work life balance is nice.

Cons

With several reductions in force in the past few years, it feels like there is always a looming threat that if two quarters of flat or negative growth occurs, there will be another reduction in force.

Keep communicating, keep focusing on what can be controlled vs. what cannot.
    Improve simplicity of solution installation and management.
    Work on marketing campaigns that effectively introduce and gain customer mindshare.

A Phenomenal Experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  Boulder, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Boulder, CO (US)

I have been working at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely loved working for NetApp. The company is fast-paced, the ethos is noble, and the upper-level management genuinely cares. It isn't uncommon to find companies that nominally purport that certain things are valuable without ever demonstrating belief in those principles, but at NetApp - from the CEO down, everyone seems to believe in those principles. Having the opportunity to work for a company that focuses so much on winning *the right way* was a pleasure and I would highly recommend looking into NetApp.

Cons

My biggest challenge was that half my team was off-site. It isn't a big deal when you live in Wichita, but I lived in Boulder and I do tend to find it difficult to connect with people over the internet.

Tom Mendoza once said: "Catch someone doing something right." Well, if Tom Mendoza is reading this right now, I'd like him to know that I think he's doing something right. Thank you so much for developing an amazing culture.

NetApp has truly earned its title of a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at NetApp part-time for less than a year

Pros

Almost everyone is friendly and willing to help you when you need it. Today's trend of "teaming" in the workplace is very visible in NetApp. The company takes their culture to a new level, and takes it seriously: the management and employees truly work for integrity, leadership, and synergy, while keeping a focus on getting things done. The pay is generous and there are many on-campus benefits that are fun to take part in: Beer Bashes, Employee Appreciation Week, friendly competitions at the gym, Executive Chef Day at the cafe, free fruit and bagels every week.... The list goes on and on.

Cons

Only struggle I've faced during my time at NetApp is that some of my projects are hindered by politics in management: Stupid things like failure to escalate an issue or lack of collaboration because of pride. Overall, this doesn't happen very often, and it's something you'll run into at any company.

Please continue encouraging employees to collaborate cross-team: The catalysts for success is a step in the right direction, but more work needs to be done in this area.

Good

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work, challenging work

Cons

My particular project had a screwed up management line - otherwise its not too bad.

Please evaluate a managerial candidate thoroughly before unleashing them on employees.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!