Netflix Reviews in Los Gatos, CA

Updated 18 September 2014
3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

154 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work, but not for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Little to no micromanagement. Control and ownership of software components you are responsible for. Exceptional compensation. Incredible vacation policy.

Cons

Not for everyone - developers who like working independently and without much guidance will thrive here. Developers who are used to being given specific assignments and lots of structure might crash and burn (and get fired). Extremely stressful working situations at times as you will be responsible for a lot and might not have backup, and potential for very long hours. If you don't have the courage to ask for your vacations you might not get any (no formal vacation policy).

Finding the right balance between an unstructured work environment and micromanaging everything is hard, but it's possible that management at NFLX keeps things too much on the unstructured site.

Best Company I have worked at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Freedom & Responsibility Culture
    - Almost zero politics
    - No Employee Reviews (Hire & keep the best)
    - High Quality co-workers

Cons

- Not much except that towards the end, had a useless manager

It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when".

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology.
    Pay was above market.
    Work with fantastic people.
    Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information on what was happening.
    Lousy communication between groups.
    Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group".
    80 hr work week *minimum*.
    No work-life balance.
    I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Freedom & Responsibility culture. Everyone in the company knows the company's direction well. We are responsible for helping the company move to the right direction and we are free to choose how to help the company.
    * Transparency. The management team spends time with everyone in the company explaining how the company operates.

Cons

* No training program. You are on your own to improve your technique skills.

I hope that the top management get more feedbacks from everyone in the company. We are a very focused company. However we may find another big thing if we spend some resources on innovative ideas, which do not match the company's focus.

Ok place to work. Very little training.

Former Employee - IT Dispacher  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very tech savvy environment. Everyone gets a cell phone when hired including contractors. Lots of technical goodies to play with. Launch day parties were cool. Most people seemed laid back. Unlimited vacation.

Cons

Very little training for the job, with minimal direction. I felt like I was just thrown in and expected to swim.

More training and support for the employees. More structure.

Stay away. Too many great people are arbitrarily let go, with no warning or cause. Zero stability. Fear culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, free lunch. Some awesome people.

Cons

Jerks, underachievers, people who have risen to upper management who don't have talent. Boring. Not innovative. No vacation policy means it's abused by people at the top and people at the bottom are too scared. HR is corrupt.

Stop worrying so much about yourself, try to make a great product. Stop wasting so much money, it's disgusting.

Fast paced, intense environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Really smart, motivated, and reliable team members
    -Great salary
    -You'll learn a lot from the people you work with
    -Fantastic product

Cons

-Senior management makes decisions without checking in with the SME's within the company.
    -People get fired much faster without much warning. If you have a good manager, you will be happy to have the people who aren't pulling their weight gone quickly without causing too many problems.
    -It's hard to leave the office during the day, if needed. There is a big focus on face time.

-Before implementing an idea, check with your highly compensated SME's.
    -Make sure you are listening to and keeping a pulse on your customers.
    -Give employees more trust so that the high performers don't constantly feel like they could be fired for any small mistake. This kind of fear leads to a nervous, management pleasing environment.

Performance rewarded

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Netflix has created a very competitive culture that promotes and drives innovation.

Cons

Having a very competitive work environment can get into the way of a healthy work/life balance.

The Netflix values encompass traits you would find beneficial with any employee.

Empowering place to work - Little bureaucracy for size

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture strives to minimize process in favor of trusting employees and giving them room to run. This results in an organization powered by experienced self-starters who are incredible people to learn from. It provides the maturity of a larger company with talented people, while still enabling considerable creative freedom. (Applies to Los Gatos HQ)

Cons

Coordination can sometimes be weak due to "loosely coupled" culture. It is very easy to get out of sync on goals and expectations with teammates and managers unless one is very vigilant and communicates well. Most managers try to adhere to the culture, but each deviates in their own idiosyncratic way.

Stronger cross-function consistency as regards to commitment to culture would be ideal. Product, Content, Marketing, and Finance have all substantially deviated in their own ways.

Great place with high rewards and risks

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous Compensation.
    High productivity enivronment, you can feel sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Culture of Fear.
    There is no second warning. But you are let go.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!