Netflix Reviews

Updated 25 April 2015
457 reviews filtered by

Growth and evolution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company moves fast and you can be very productive. Minimal bureaucracy. Generally good at attempting to disseminate vision from top-down. Strong technical contributors and great peers. Most policies and practices are employee-friendly (in that there's little impediments to getting stuff done). Company does get rid of low-performers regularly.

Cons

As with many rapidly growing organizations, there's some chaos and politically-biased positioning during the changes. Some managers are focused too tactically on product today, not strengthening the team and products for future. If you need to work at a place where things don't change much or where you can know you'll be employed for years--this is not the place for you. Work load can be heavy at times (but the work itself is interesting and fun).

Advice to Management

As the company continues to move from a maverick streaming technology startup to a operations-focused content provider, there should be more discussion about how the culture and product is changing and how it needs to shift more. In the past 5 years, engineer headcount has more than doubled -- how can we continue to adapt our management and development at the same rate of success (or better) with this much larger org?

Awesome company if you are engineer.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good support, great pay.

Cons

Not for everybody. Manager if he/she is not careful and politically savvy can have short lifetime with a company.

Freedom and responsibility and paying top of the market

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

- High salary focused on cash compensation
    - freedom and responsibility, no micromanagement actually

Cons

- Technically, a single engineer should cover wide range of areas including coding, testing, packaging, deployment, monitoring, etc. This can be a great challenge but sometimes this will create fatigue.
    - Sometimes, it happened that somebody was fired but hard to understand why he/she was let go.

Not great - Super great on resume though!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Plan, Salary, Lunch served daily, Relaxed dress code, Everyone is friendly, SNACKS

Cons

There's a reason the benefits package is so great. You will be afraid and you will stress about your job constantly. If you're lucky, you'll be in the right department, but more likely you won't be given really any training. If you do make it past the six month mark without being let go you will only last to about a year or so before you will need to move on. Most of the people you got hired with will be gone within two months and they were all excellent workers. Not okay - scary.

Definitely take the job so it gets on your resume. It will open doors as other companies are starting to pick up on the fact that Netflix is awesome at recruiting (every excellent candidate on a job hunt knows the name and applies), but this company is BAD at keeping these people.

I wish you good luck and work YOUR BUM OFF because it won't last.

Advice to Management

You manage the company poorly. Autonomy is great as long a there is some sort of check in system and it's not all a political crap storm where the new people aren't actually helped.

Good positive culture

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Good culture, positive work environment and overall a positive job because people like netflix

Cons

tough to move up even if your performing well. Mostly about politics and making sure the right people know you as there are a lot of employees in the call center. Tough to stand out.

Advice to Management

Was great when you allowed even newly hired CSR employees to purchase company stock using up to 15% of paycheck. When the stock took off and skyrocketed this was immediately taken away which came off as greedy.

Freedom and responsibility...at a great cost

I worked at Netflix

Pros

They will pay you handsomely (while you remain employed) and keep you well-fed. You will also gain a great deal of insight into the subscription video on demand business. Colleagues are generally competent, although at the higher levels there appears to be a greater tolerance for incompetence, which is not surprising given that management by termination appears to be the way of the world here. Good resume name for future job search efforts - which you'll need once you're fired.

Cons

The employees who survive and thrive in the Netflix "hire and fire" culture of fear are literally the coldest, meanest, least personable group of individuals I have ever encountered in my life (although in full disclosure, I have never worked with anyone in ISIS). Arrogant, condescending, mean-spirited, hateful...and those traits describe the nicest people at Netflix. FYI guys - asking a pregnant woman who just informed her boss that she'll be taking maternity leave - albeit jokingly, haha - whether she can terminate her pregnancy in order to get ready for a feature launch is neither funny nor clever. It is sad, misogynistic and illegal. Management created this culture and have successfully fooled Silicon Valley sycophants (and, sadly, far too many over-eager employee recruits like me) into buying this routine for over a decade. I should know, I was one of them. I believed in that farce of a culture deck and bought into the "freedom & responsibility" pablum they feed you almost constantly once you join. It is all false nonsense. If you're insecure, passive-aggressive, easily threatened by colleagues with brains/personality/character/all of the above, then by all means, go for it. There are ~200 open positions at any given time you can apply for. The employees who are stuck in overpaid positions have no choice but to defend their company, under penalty of termination and fear of earning a 1/3 of their salary elsewhere. But you have choices. And if you have a shred of decency, humanity or character, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care about anything anyone says on Glassdoor, but here's my suggestion - start donating all of your revenue (not profits, since you have none) to charity, and at least attempt to undo all of the bad karma and ill will you have created throughout the years.

The culture is the real deal; read the deck. It really is the blueprint for our culture.

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and Responsibility from the culture deck is true
    Super smart people that love what they do
    Awesome brand
    Compensation is top of market

Cons

Things move quickly; sometimes hard to keep up
    High performing culture means there is pressure, but deliver rather than worry and you will be fine

Advice to Management

As we grow we need to consider other means of communication. Memo's are great but we need to find more efficient means of communicating.

Worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Maybe the pay but I received a better offer from my current employer.

Cons

Political, bureaucratic, catty, micro-managing environment. Inexperienced management. No growth opportunities. Absolutely zero work life balance. Please do yourself a favor and listen to the other reviews on here and work literally anywhere else.

Netflix call center recruiting: hire 15, fire 12 of them the next week.

Former Contractor - Recruiter in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Contractor - Recruiter in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work, especially for high performers who are treated well day-to-day.
    Lots of freedom in terms of flexible scheduling, how the job gets done, and self-expression - great place to work if you're queer or non-conforming in some aspect.

Cons

Super demanding in terms of performance - which would be fine if there were a well established feedback cycle to let employees know what's expected of them, unfortunately the reality is that people are let go without warning all the time, certainly at the lower levels, but seemingly within management as well, giving the whole organisation a panicked, overworked vibe.

I didn't like it to much

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Fun environment if you are young

Cons

Hours, people, survey, they tell you they don't car about your outside life

Advice to Management

Hire more mature people