Neumont University

www.neumont.edu

Neumont University Reviews

good but could improve

Bookstore Worker (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT (US)

Proseasy job, can do homework while working, get to drive vans (sometimes), good pay

Conscommunication. Hardly anything is communicated between the staff and the workers, students fail to listen to workers because they think we have no power (kinda true but still). You only work 1 day a week :(

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more

Fast Pace, hard working and a bang for your buck.

Student (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT (US)

Pros*Great networking with well named companies (ie, IBM, Microsoft, Google, REI systems)
    *Start programming day one.
    *Actual group project experience
    *Real Internship projects for the last three quarters
    *Great Order Activities to allow the student to release some stress and have fun (Order names: Behind The Screen, Game Shark Order, The Game Gurus)
    *Get your Bachelors degree in two and a half years instead of four.

Cons*High stress levels.
    *High work load.
    *Some classes will be in "beta phase" which means a lower chance of passing classes.
    *No longer have specialized teachers teaching what they are specialized in.
    *Will have constant schedule issues and can get behind on graduating easily.
    *You are limited to the type of laptop you are allowed to use at Neumont University
    *Neumont University does not focus on C++ or any other languages except C# and Java. (They have recently explored Objective C, but only in small doses)
    *Neumont University does not focus on Databases. They only provide two classes, which only exposes you to MSSQL.
    *Tutoring is no longer specialized and now generalized. Which means it's hard to find help from tutors for specific subjects.
    *Quarter system has now been split into sprints. Which means you only have five weeks instead of ten to learn the same amount of information. This causes information to be lost within the cracks and just allows the student to be exposed to the language instead of actually learning it.
    *The online courses are awful. They currently have "Sets and Probabilities", among other math classes as online courses.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome classes should not be on the sprint system. It feels like Neumont University is now trying to produce cookie cutter programmers instead of quality programmers.

Neumont University needs to branch out to other languages other than C# and Java.

Please keep the specialized teachers teaching what they are specialized in. Allow the students to get what they are paying for - "Quality Knowledge".

If you are going to have a "Beta Phase" class, give the students a fair chance to pass the class instead of failing the majority of them because the beta phase failed.

Neumont University is a great place to learn and work.

Instructor (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT (US)

ProsExcellent faculty and staff.
    Fun and open work environment.
    A place that is dedicated to high-quality teaching and mentoring.
    It gives you a real sense of accomplishment to work with our students.
    Very flexible work schedule when class is out.

ConsHigh work load during the academic quarters.
    Grading and prep takes a lot of time.
    Not many opportunities for promotion and advancement - it's a rather flat organization

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't focus too much on the bottom line - there needs to be room for flexibility and depth.
    The faculty is somewhat under-staffed. You need to be open to more hires.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrific place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT (US)

Pros-Management cares about employees
    -Fast paced work environment
    -Rewarding
    -Terrific compensation package
    -Co-workers are fun to be around and work with

Cons-Long hours sometimes when school is in session

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make the school the best computer science university in the country! It is great to see management focused on a long term goal.

AWESOME DREAM JOB!

Instructor (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT (US)

ProsNeumont is literally a 5 star ranking in all areas of this survey. Filling out the survey helped me realize further how wonderful of a place Neumont University is to work. All of my coworkers are fun and passionate about what we do. Management has a clear vision for where we are headed and does not deviate from it. I have more than a reasonable amount of resources available to deliver the best educational experience to our students.

The work is challenging, and preparing the best Computer Science graduates day in and day out takes a lot of work, but our hiring statistics of near 100% make me realize that we are succeeding at our lofty goals. Neumont is truly a dream job of mine, and I hope to continue delivering this fine experience forever.

There are not many jobs where you are so anxious to get to work each day that it is hard to sleep, but Neumont is definitely mine!

ConsStress levels can get high when school is in session, but that just feeds my hunger for a good challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you have done for three years now, keep your eye on the ball and persevere in leading us in this most ultimate direction!

I love this job -- funnest way to spend 8+ hours per day

Communications Manager (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT (US)

ProsGreat work-life balance, great students, great faculty, and an overall fun environment to spend my time.

ConsIt's a LOT of work keeping up with all the unique demands of our students, their parents, and our industry partners and we have to walk a fine line to always ensure the quality of our graduates is unwavering.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more students out there sharing their experiences, we need people to know about the great stuff we're doing.

Tutoring, its a hard job, but somebody has to do it.

Student Tutor (Former Employee) West Jordan, UT (US)

ProsThe location as a student of Neumont was great as a student.
    The hours were also great as a student.
    The compensation plan was very fair and would have been almost worth my time at the higher level classes.

ConsHardly anyone came in for tutoring.
    Grading sucks unless you like to do it.
    I could find a better paying job in the field that was just as flexible with the time and the location.
    The hours became harder to come by in the end due to money restrictions.
    It was only a part time job so there were no benefits to speak of.
    I also did not like the time tracker, as it was ineffective in reporting my hours.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing really to say here.

Worked for Neumont University? Contribute to the Community!