New York Life

Updated 22 November 2014
3.3

New York Life Chairman, President & CEO Ted Mathas
Ted Mathas

Pros
  • They provide a great training ground for how to sell and scripts to use when selling (in 55 reviews)

• Their compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • they tell you to sell insurance to your friends and family and when you leave they treat (in 37 reviews)

• No base salary (you will invest in the company before they invest in you) (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for or contract with.

I have been working at New York Life as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to become an entrepreneur, great support system, opportunity to earn unlimited income, great trips. The company genuinely care about their clients and being there for the long run.

Cons

The target markets you work in or from should really be caliber clients. Straight commissions is rough as an agent. Its a challenging industry but the need is there.

Financial Services Professional

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Waltham, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Waltham, MA (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You make your own schedule, and the training into the Financial Services Industry, or Financial Planning is good. You are trained from day 1 to push NYL Products and Services. They will ask you to come up with a list of 200 people within your network to solicit to, and you will be expected to "trigger" as soon as possible and start making sales. They pay for your licensing, however not the materials to study, and there is no base salary, 100% commission. If you are good at New York Life, then you get paid very well, if you are mediocre, expect to make next to nothing. There is great support and unlimited resources for you to fall back on if you have questions or need help with clients, but you are thrown to the wolves to come up with clients and build a book of business. This is a difficult job to do, so do not take it if you think it will be easy. NYL is a great place to start your career and get experience in Finance.

Cons

You make your own schedule, meaning you are responsible for generating leads and creating a book of business. There is a good work-life balance to the established agents, but for a new comer, expect to devout a lot of time in the beginning without seeing a return (paycheck). Do not step into this role if you think it will be easy, it is difficult work, reflected in the attrition rate of upwards of 90%.

New York Life Response

Nov 24, 2014Sr. Partner

Your thoughts regarding your career experience so far are greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

The people who you initially listed are not expected to all be
    ... More

Not perfect, but not too bad of a place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great coworkers
    Great work-life balance
    Not too stressful

Cons

Outdated technology. There's still a lot of old apps being used dating back more than a decade. Some teams are working with more cutting-edge technology, but many are still maintaining VB6. But they're coming around and trying to be more current. They're in the process of going through a tremendous amount of change to make things better, and some old-timers with the company are not exactly thrilled. Their salaries are a little on the low end, but they make up for it with great bennies. They tend do a poor job at vetting people before hiring them and acquiring talent (not many people want to work with old technology) so this has caused a lot of incompetent people to come through the door. They also hire a lot within, which is good if you want upward mobility, but bad because you don't have many people with outside knowledge, and veteren people are resistant to change. Yes it's true that there are some "pet employees," particularly those who play golf (ahem), but if you do a good job and keep a good attitude you can shine as well. Typically the ones who complain about this on here are those who had subpar skills.

Be more progressive technology wise.

work balance company

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

with good work and balance, structured business environment

Cons

insurance industry with moderate pace of business innovation

Good company but too many reorganizations

I have been working at New York Life

Pros

Good team members, good benefits.

Cons

Too many reorganizations. Too much weekend work.

Insurance sales

I worked at New York Life

Pros

Good people, professional energized environment

Cons

Had a better opportunity, I made the choice to move on

Not bad. Slow career growth but good benefits

I worked at New York Life

Pros

Average salary. Good time off and benefits.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Good to get into the industry and move on from there.

Peeling out layers of middle management just served to log jam things further.

Great internship experience at New York Life

I have been working at New York Life

Pros

Great mentors, great opportunity for corporate advancement

Cons

the pros out weight the cons

Overall a great experience, especially for my first "real" corporate style job

Former Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Life as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at New York Life is really something special. Everyone is extremely approachable, ready to answer questions you may have, and always willing to help. Although I was only an intern, I was given "real" responsibilities within my department, which definitely contributed to the overall focus I needed to have each day. I learned different systems, increased my Microsoft Excel skills, and was able to network with a ton of great people.

Cons

The only two things I wished I had more of was: feedback and a bit more diversity in the work I was doing. I understand as an intern some of your tasks are limited, but at the very end of the internship I wish some of the work had not become so repetitive.

(At least in my area) - a bit more feedback would be nce

Love the company not easy job to do though.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Lake Success, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Lake Success, NY (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Incentives, Multiple competitions to make extra $$$, Council is good for family, training is excellent

Cons

If you only have your life and health you're gonna be sad and miserable. Believe me!!! Must find own clients and build your own relationships. Mandatory phone calls from 6-8 pm every monday for 3 years.

Give more leads and be up front with agents. Let them know how hard it is.