New York Life

Updated 29 September 2014
3.3

New York Life Chairman, President & CEO Ted Mathas
Ted Mathas

Pros
  • They provide a great training ground for how to sell and scripts to use when selling (in 53 reviews)

• Their compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to hassle friends and family to buy useless products (in 36 reviews)

• No base salary (you will invest in the company before they invest in you) (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to begin a financial Services career with.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative  in  Manchester, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Manchester, NH (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Education in the Life insurance industry. Great people to learn and grow a business with.

Cons

Not paid enough for doing investments for clients. No investing education.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with NYL as I felt like a true member of the team within such a short time period.

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Life as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff and managers, great balance of work and life, competitive pay, multiple outside work activities.

Cons

I wish I had more training.

Great Company for the right people

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional  in  Waltham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Waltham, MA (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is great, hundreds of resources at your disposal to help you learn the business, flexible scheduling, high income potential

Cons

Commission based earnings, market is flooded with agents, need a large source of prospects, training time tends to get in the way of field time to make money

Base salary would be helpful, online training would be beneficial so that agents don't have to come from far away for training only to have to go back out farther

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company for the right person

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional  in  Orange, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility of schedule is a huge benefit. Ability to purchase I Shares through MainStay investments w/o sales load is great. Ability to work as hard (or not) as you wish. Truly does have unlimited income potential - for the right person and the right personality.

Cons

Make sure when you sign up you really know your manager, their philosophy, their target market, their leadership style! I cannot stress this enough! My first manager was HORRIBLE! Actually insulted 2 of my close friends when insisting to come to initial meetings. Not much support if you don't rent an office in the building.

Work with staff more closely to setup teams for those who desire to have camaraderie.

Great company to work for

I have been working at New York Life

Pros

Great company to work for. The people are great to work with and the benefits are wonderful. I worked there for 15 years

Cons

The management in my department was not very good at all.

Take better care of your people and stop showing favortism.

Identity crisis

Former Employee - Financial Service Professional  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Service Professional in New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Well-recognized company
    - established business units and distribution channels that you can gain experience in
    - being a mutual makes it less stressful but it's easy for things to fester.

Cons

- life insurance is king, if you are in any of the other business units it's easy to be pushed aside
    - CEO is running amuck doesn't have to answer to anyone due to executive retirements. Can get petty and that trickles down to managers. So that great 'we're all in this together feel' is eroding.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to set your own hours

Cons

100% commission. Trying to hard to sell the dream

Be more upfront with the new crew

If I knew then what I know now.

Former Employee - Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at New York Life as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked with some really genuine people that I plan to stay in touch with

Cons

If I had known about these reviews before I signed my contract , I would never have taken the job. I would never recommend anyone to work for this company. Like other agents I am in debt now. When your bringing in cases the management is friendly. When your not doing so well they ignore you. When I read the previous reviews I knew everything they were saying because I've been through it . 100% commission I was told that I get a stipend or training allowance to get me in the door. Afterwards I found out the truth. I tried to make it work but it's very hard when YOU are struggling financially and have to pay for EVERYTHING at New York life. And I do mean EVERYTHING

Stop trying to push the new agents out. And try to help them. Come up with a better way of helping to get leads instead of asking your agents to harass EVERY person they know. And tell the TRUTH about how agents get paid. Stop telling new agents they will get a training allowance or stipend to help them with bills when that's not the way it works

Training, Calls, Driving

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited earning potential, 401k, pension, 2 year advancement opportunities to management, investments, rollovers and insurance make it so you have a lot of things to talk to every type of person about.

Cons

A lot of training hours, inconsistent income, commission with no base, stress, having to reach out to your natural market, being put under the insurance tag, 24/7.

Too much required training hours at the beginning makes it so you can't earn as much as you want to initially.

Agent

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Annapolis, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Annapolis, MD (US)

I worked at New York Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a great reputation to build your business on. Flexible schedule once certain sales goals are met.

Cons

Straight commission and a "What have you done for me lately?" attitude that is persistent from all levels of management. Sales quotas were so demanding that there was always a threat of losing job due to automatic termination of contract that is out of the control of management. I actually tried to leave the company after 6 months but was told I was had not given the business a chance unless I tried for three years. It turns out the three years is tied to the bonuses that management receives once a recruit hits their three year anniversary.

I also think that management should be more selective in who they hire. It was embarrassing who was considered a colleague once you were able to observe the lack of people skills that were exhibited from these new hires.

Back up your words with actions and I don't mean just as the end of the quarter is approaching. Be a little more discerning when you hire. I know it is a numbers game but have a little respect for the company name. Stop being so self-serving. You are damaging peoples lives if this is truly not the career for them.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!