New York Sports Club

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Giardina

Pros:
  • "Free gym membership, co-workers are generally good"
    in 19 reviews
  • "You can get a free gym membership"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "It is an easy job but the pay is minimum wage which isn't enough to live in nyc"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Lack of leadership and diversity (upper management)"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growth and opportunity

Fitness Services Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI started at NYSC as a new trainer looking to find a job I enjoyed - That was 8 years ago. Now, I have fun career as a Fitness manager at a successful club in NYC. I owe great thanks to the learning & development program, and the leadership team the company has developed. Through that my careerI has grown beyond my early expectations. They really do a solid job of setting high expectations but giving you the tools to achieve them. Great team support, financially rewarding, and a quick track to management.

ConsIt's really up to you - If you want to be successful they will show you the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the learning and development aspect of what we do. Keep on it!

Fun, mostly friendly, easy going enviroment

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time for more than a year

ProsThere's really no horrible reason not to work here. It's the most stress free environment I've worked in and that's after working as a retail associate and an assistant in higher education. Just if only the pay was above minimum wage...

ConsSome times members can give you a bit of a hassle trying to get their way but you stick to guns about the rules with everyone. Just if only the pay was above minimum wage...

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave GM's some breathing room to get the "small" things their employees need from them...and that's true from all clubs in my area. Raise the pay above minimum wage...

The same level of respect as a used car salesman...

Membership Consultant (Former Employee)
Brooklyn, NY (US)

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time for more than a year

ProsFree membership and learned that I would never want to work in a pushy sales role such as a membership advisor ever again. They call their style "value selling" but really it's vicious, pushy and most times rude.

ConsPay, management, lack of employee empowerment, lack of professionalism, comical amount of employees who do not even attempt to do their jobs, quite often filthy working conditions and in general the largest con was the time wasted.

Good start

I have been working at New York Sports Club

Prossolid club to start at

Consnot the best pay and no benefits

not the greatest gym to work for

I have been working at New York Sports Club

Prosyour clients make it better day to day

Conscorporate controls EVERYTHING, and are complete morons

Advice to Senior ManagementYOU SUCK

Awesome people to work with, not the greatest hours

I have been working at New York Sports Club

ProsYou can get a free gym membership

ConsUnreliable schedule, not enough hours

Terrible

Membership Consultant (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time for more than a year

Prosfree membership to all locations, I learned a lot of problem solving techniques, cool when you see the people you signed up meet their goals and lose weight, overall experience in the fitness world

Consno work life balance, we were turned into robots, no integrity, no value on what we were offering, terrible hours and 3-4 12 hour days a month

Advice to Senior Managementseriously guys, get your act together. you can't possibly be that dumb to think that this business model is actually working

Front DESK, WELCOME TEAM

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs an employee, you have aFree membership

ConsEverything from corporate, to management in the Gym

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one works together...

Train Wreck

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay is reasonable for management, enough to keep you from quitting right away.
Met some really great people, most have left the company also.
You can create your own culture within your club.
Free gym membership

ConsLack of leadership and diversity (upper management)
Non-existing company culture
Low team morale
Inconsistent
No work/life balance
Questionable integrity/ethics
Only care about the board & investors
Revolving door

Advice to Senior ManagementA happy team = happy members.

We don't want to work for you 24/7 it is not ok to expect follow up or report on our days off.
Stop cutting so many corners, there are no shortcuts in life. Your gyms need to be cleaner and you need new equipment and you know it.

Be open to innovative solutions, maybe if you asked your staff and were open to ideas things would be better. Did I mention listening to feedback from the people that are working for you? I mean the little people.

We are not lazy, we really want to believe in the company and be proud of where we work. The lack of consistency, inspiration, morale and appreciation creates staff that doesn't care anymore, we didn't come in that way. Not to mention shuffling poor performing staff instead of managing them out. Decisions are poorly planned or thought out. No one speaks up honestly in fear of being blacklisted. (Creating a bunch of yes men) politics rule everything.
Revenue creation, do whatever it takes? Inflated budgets....
If you want to see real results change the upper management. Get leaders, real professionals.
If you just cared about people like you say you do, not just the board members, investors or your own pockets and maybe just maybe we would stick around.

NO Pay

I have been working at New York Sports Club

ProsFun and exciting work atmosphere. Making many contacts and an opportunity to work out while working. Great workout equipment and machines.

ConsTerrible pay structure as well terrible top management. Every month closeouts as well no support for marketing or sales. To many managers to report to and no communication amongst them. No room for growth

Worked for New York Sports Club? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Sports Club reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for New York Sports Club CEO Robert Giardina. All 66 reviews are posted anonymously by New York Sports Club employees.