New York Sports Club Reviews

Updated 30 August 2014
Updated 30 August 2014

2.1

Robert Giardina

Pros
  • Free gym membership and access to all areas of Gym (in 23 reviews)

• Free gym membership, co-workers are generally good (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance, we were turned into robots, no integrity, no value on what we were offering, terrible hours and 3-4 12 hour days a month (in 4 reviews)

• Because it's very sales oriented atmosphere "the needs of your business" are long hours (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid company, corporate, great people and environment.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid pay but I was underpaid for how I felt I performed, personally. Great people to be around. Made a good living, won a lot of awards, helped develop some great employees.

Cons

Be prepared for potential long work hours. Be prepared for a lot of negativity from other employees. Lastly, it matters who you work for more than anything. That;s true of any job but some people are blessed to work with the right people here. Others, you're swimming upstream and I'm sorry.

Get in the clubs more. Senior Directors visit your club once a month or two typically and base their assessment of you off of a sheet of paper and what they see in their short visit. Come around more and participate with the teams and see their struggles, not so they can build on their excuses but so you can feel more a part of the team and know your sites better. And bring real energy, not fake energy. The teams will buy into it more if they see you along side them more.

Early Morning Shift

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time

Pros

You get a quite a bit of alone time

Cons

You always have to ask someone to cover you to use the rest room. Which isn't always possible when you open by yourself at 5am and there aren't any coworkers until 7am *if they don't call out.

Atrocious work for terrible pay.

Former Employee - Housekeeping  in  Queens Village, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Queens Village, NY (US)

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment. The employees are down to earth and the managers are extremely cool.

Cons

The pay is terrible. The amount of work done isn't equivalent to the pay. Long hours of work and no real profit.

Raise the pay. Minimum wage should start at a least $10 or more.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment, limited growth potential

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Hoboken, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Hoboken, NJ (US)

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free membership to all clubs is a great way to keep your routine interesting. Great environment with wonderful co-workers. Day-to-day responsibilities are consistent and for the most part worry free. Overall pleasant experience. Very structured system in personal training memberships. You get out of it what you put in.

Cons

Very limited opportunities to advance in the company. If you do plan on moving up, also plan on being there for a long time before an opportunity comes around. Too many personal trainers fighting for the same pool of clients.

Assign more responsibility and increase pay. Too often people are just standing around looking bored (because they are). Give more opportunities to promote from within.

My experience ay NYSP was very educational

I worked at New York Sports Club for more than 8 years

Pros

I had an opportunity to meet all types of people from the everyday person on the street to celebrities. It was so much fun.

Cons

As with any organization the different types of personalities one works with can make the job a bit of a challenge.

Really get to know your employees that work the front line. Don't just listen to your club managers. Come and meet them and experience them for yourself.

learned lots of customer service, housekeeping multitasking

I worked at New York Sports Club

Pros

it builds on you, lets you know how to satisfy both needs of customers and management becomes like mini community of itself

Cons

not every customer every manager can be pleased, however you learn to just do what you can do .

RUN for your life!!!

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at New York Sports Club full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free gym membership
    That's it!

Cons

I'll make this simple:
    There is a reason they are always recruiting and lost close to 100 managers in 2013.

Zero support, development or genuine care.

Everyone sitting at the corporate headquarters should be replaced or fired for their poor performance and negligence. Until this happens nothing will change.

Be ethical and fair.

Care about your members and the people that work for you.

Invest in training and development of your staff.

Be accountable for your high turn over ratios.

Not a company that supports work/life balance, even though it's one of their core values.

Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager
    Current Employee - Fitness Services Manager

I have been working at New York Sports Club full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting the members and being able to workout daily.

Cons

As a manager, limited time off. Retail hours of 5 am - 11 pm. 12-hr work days. No holidays! Even though they are closed 1 day in the year for Christmas it counts as one of your 2 days off for that week.

Listen to your managers who are running the day-to-day business to understand client needs and industry trends, including classes, equipment and pricing.

Downward Spiral

Former Employee - Front Desk  in  Huntington, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Huntington, NY (US)

I worked at New York Sports Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free membership. Thats. it.

Cons

Employees called out all the time. Management was poor and way too lax--no structure. Pay was too low for high work expectations. Serious lack of professionalism for all club management and too geared towards sales instead of retaining current members. Club was never cleaned properly and when addressed to management, there were always excuses. NO upward mobility and managers always criticized instead of praised. Managers were un reliable and childish.

Hire managers that are serious about making the club a fitness go-to, not a high school gym.

Find Work Elsewhere - Don't Waste Your Efforts Here

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at New York Sports Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free gym membership and a chance to stay healthy and fit.. That is about it. Not much more. Lucky if hired where there is decent management.

Cons

I had a job interview at 86th Street with Manuel Valdez. After a long interview and being asked many questions, I was told by Mr. Valdez that things had changed since we spoke on the phone and that the position was not available. He told me this AFTER the interview was over. The way he led the interview led me to belief that I was a good candidate for the job. I think he used me and this interview process to train a new manager who he asked to join the interview. BAD BUSINESS ETHICS!

This happened towards the end of last year and I was not going to bother with a review, but the unfairness of it all would not leave my mind. Thought it took me this long, I am glad to get it off my chest. I’m glad if I can prevent others from wasting their earnest time and effort in their job search ventures. DO NOT bother with New York Sports Club. Put your effort and valuable time elsewhere!!

Improve your business ethics.

Worked for New York Sports Club? Contribute to the Community!