New York & Company

New York & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott

Gregory Scott

Pros
  • the discount is great when buying clothes (in 17 reviews)

• None, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to sell the NYC credit cards, clientele is older women (in 52 reviews)

• Work-life balance is often not great, and the staff is spread too thin (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Had a very enjoyable experience with NYCO and I would recommend any good worker to work with their company.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Deptford

ProsStrong leaders and management; realistic to personal issues; worked right along side of employees even though they may have been management; always gave supportive words

ConsBad retail hours around holiday; not enough hours during summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep having a positive attitude towards your employees and they will do good work for you

assistant manager

Anonymous (Current Employee)

Prosthe discount is great when buying clothes

Consnot enough payroll hours to support the workload

Very fun place to work.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

Pros30% discount on clothes, flexible hours, great management.

ConsWeekend work and management hounds you about pushing the credit card.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe requirements of the job are to push that credit card...I hated it!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay Experience

ProsGreat co-workers
    Merchandise is beautiful
    Discount is great
    Music in the store is exciting

ConsThe pressure to sell credit cards is too much. If you don't meet your nightly goal, you get in trouble with the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe less pressure on the credit cards; pretty much anyone who wants a credit card already has one since the store has very loyal repeat customers.

Crazy hours, but the people you work with make it all worth while!

Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThe pay and benefits are pretty great. The people I work with are some of the hardest working people I know. I have so much respect for the work ethic of my store manager and my district manager! Also, everyone is usually very friendly and easy to work with. We truly are a customer-first environment.

ConsThere are difficult customers from time to time, but that is expected at any retail store. I don't like how overtime is only $4 an hour because that is usually just blown away with taxes. You definitely put in a lot of overtime at this company, so getting paid half-time for overtime is not acceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime should not be half-time. I love the new customer first movement set in place!

Semi fair. No room to grow

Store Management (Current Employee)

ProsGood salaries and benefits. Tuition reimbursement 80 percent of cost. I like the people I work with. Sometimes not enough support to accomplish tasks.

ConsLack of payroll to execute projects timely and accurate. Sometime your best is still not good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your teams the support and tools they need to be successful.

Ehhh...if you're desperate

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFor the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion. You get paid every week.

ConsThe company does not trust their employees whatsoever. If you're not full time your hours are crap. The pressure of opening new store card accounts. Lack of growth within the company. Low raises on all levels. Store managers have this privileged attitude, as if their life is more important than than rest of their management team ie never working on Sundays, never closing on Saturdays.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop showing favoritism towards certain employees. Give stores visual directives with more notice.

Worked with great people

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Cranberry, PA (US)

ProsFlexible schedule, great discount and extra discount days

ConsTons of hours during holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher salary for a job which requires a big commitment would keep an employee longer.

Sales Floor Associate

Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) Norridge, IL (US)

Pros--50% discount on every item of your first purchase, only! (during the first 30 days of initial employment)
    --20% discount on average purchases
    --Managers sometimes allow you to combine an additional 15% discount on items, already, on sale
    --Willing to work with employees who have another job(s)

Cons--No hours (4 hours a day, as a newbie)
    --No days (maybe 2-3 days of work, if you're lucky)
    --Many on-call shifts (you have to call 2 hrs. before your scheduled time to ask if you're needed and 9/10 they don't need you)
    --We never get out on our scheduled time. It's until you finish and must ask managers if you can leave
    --Doing "Metro pack" which is working late at night (i.e. 8PM-3AM+) to re-set the store, as there is no visual department. You will be doing this if you have open availability
    --May not be able to use the 50% discount since your paychecks are so crappy
    --May never have a chance to get your 50% discount if you started as a seasonal, when there's a major sale since the 50% cannot be added to something that is 70% off) and may have to wait until the sale is over, which may be over 30 days
    --Management harass associates about opening credit cards because they obtain a bonus, we do not
    --Hours and days will be cut even more if you don't reach your credit goal, repeatedly
    --No training! managers simply expect associates to know what to do and this location (Norridge, IL/HIP) will give associates dirty looks for asking
    --Rude/messy customers
    --The definition of being over-worked and underpaid

Advice to Senior Management--Negotiate with associates on pay
    --Give hours to your current employees, instead of hiring new people after telling us that there is no/low payroll
    --Extend the 1st purchase 50% discount if an employee starts during a sale or as a seasonal or during a sale because we deserve that discount for the amount of physical work we do
    --Give associates an incentive/reward, if you're going to have managers harass them about opening credit cards, we try!

Awful

ProsThere really are no "pros". The store discount is 20%, unless there is some sort of sale going on, then there isn't an employee discount.

ConsThe training was not very good. I would often have different managers telling me different things. It was also very difficult to get a sick day if it was needed. I woke up vomiting one morning and all the hand book says is that we have to give a 3 hour notice if you can't go in. Simple right, no. My manager tried to tell me if I couldn't get someone to cover my shift I would have to go in anyway, and then the next day they decided to tell me that if I didn't go in 5 hours earlier than my shift I would be fired. Needless to say I put my 2 weeks notice in the next day.

Another thing is that the type of people who shop there are generally very terrible people to be around, they are rude and if you refuse to adjust the price of an item for someone they could very well throw their coins at you.

The credit card is also pushed far too much. I am sick of feeling as though I am harassing customers to invest in a credit card that they don't want to have, and some of the people who don't want to apply for one have a very good reason for it, if you are not approved it will hurt your credit score (which I wish I knew when one of my managers forced me to apply for one, she wouldn't let us close until I applied).

Also, good luck getting any sort of break if you work less than 8 hours in the day. It is a federal law that you get one at 6 hours. But apparently this company thinks it is above the law.

Overall a 20% store discount SOMETIMES (if there isn't a sale going on, which there always is) is not worth the headache that this company is to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think any advice can help management at this point.

Worked for New York & Company? Contribute to the Community!