New York & Company

Updated 26 February 2015
2.4

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott
Gregory Scott

Pros
  • For the most part, you get your employee discount along with the in store promotion (in 23 reviews)

• Offers a great discount and flexible schedule as well (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • You also have to shove credit cards down customer's throats, and no one likes that (in 63 reviews)

• Work/life balance is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Had a very enjoyable experience with NYCO and I would recommend any good worker to work with their company.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Deptford
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Deptford

I worked at New York & Company part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong leaders and management; realistic to personal issues; worked right along side of employees even though they may have been management; always gave supportive words

Cons

Bad retail hours around holiday; not enough hours during summer.

Keep having a positive attitude towards your employees and they will do good work for you

New York and Company review

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Henderson, NV (US)

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

They offer many different resources to help with your success

Cons

There not really any cons associated with this job

Great atmosphere, competitive sales goals and nice staff.

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules
    Shifts aren't too long
    Perfect for people in school

Cons

Expected to open credit cards
    Limited hours
    Low pay

Good Company too work with

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

The schedule is flexible if you are a student

Cons

Saturdays and Sundays are a must and customers are rude

Retail Jail

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at New York & Company

Pros

I liked my co-workers
    Managers were willing to work with my schedule
    Discount was decent
    Schedule was decently flexible

Cons

Have to annoy the customers to sign up for the credit card every shift or you lost hours.
    Not enough schedule hours
    Disorganized
    Overworked management

Don't constantly hire people when there aren't enough hours to go around, be more appreciative of your management teams in the stores, and stop stressing out employees about getting credit cards.

Mall Retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Plymouth Meeting, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Plymouth Meeting, PA (US)

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Typical Retail Job, Great coworkers

Cons

On your feet for long periods of the day. Forced to get people to sign up for credit card.

sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Daly City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Daly City, CA (US)

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

Flexible hours, low-stress and easy job, good job to have while in school.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, and very little room for growth within the company.

The management team needs to learn how to promote within since they are the people who know the ins and outs of the company.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Valley Stream, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Valley Stream, NY (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seasonal work has the potential to become permanent..
    The most needed shift coverage seems to be in the afternoons/evenings (great if you're in school, have another job, or just not an early riser).
    Employee discount from ranging from 15% and up depending on the day.
    Fast paced = never boring.
    Typically an all female staff.

Cons

The work is tiring and requires lots of walking, standing, stooping, crouching and lifting. (you wont need a gym membership anymore).
    Shifts that start late can end very very late into the night. Near or after midnight isn't uncommon.
    Employee discount is usually less than the coupon discounts offered to the customers.
    There are so many responsibilities it's often difficult to finish any single task. Or you may only complete a few small tasks due to frequent interruptions.
    High turnover.
    Typically an all female staff. Its a pro and a con.
    Last on the list is amusing but still merits a mention- The manager holds/wears the key to the bathroom. It can be inconvenient to say the least and if you need to go frequently...

I haven't been there long enough to know exactly how things work (or how they are meant to work in optimal conditions) but perhaps an hour or two could be set for prior to opening to enable employees to accomplish certain tasks without interruptions. Getting a dozen small tasks checked off the to-do list late at night at the end of shifts when staff energy is waning doesn't appear to be effective.
    Allow employees the option to use available coupon codes instead of their employee discount on transactions.

Not Worth It

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jackson, NJ (US)

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Constantly talking to people makes you better at it
    -Fellow sales associates are usually nice to be around
    -You're not unemployed

Cons

-No breaks
    -Practically harassing customers to open credit cards
    -Hours based on credit cards sold
    -Inconsistent scheduling
    -On-call shifts
    -Gas money paychecks
    -Upper management

I started out as a seasonal associate, but got bumped up to part-time because they desperately needed people. I know NJ doesn't legally make the employer give rest or meal breaks, but working six hours during the holiday season without a break is crazy. Eight hours before a break? C'mon. Now I understand that selling things is a part of my job as a sales associate but this is beyond selling. I'm practically harassing customers to open credit cards. Three no's before giving up? As a customer that would just turn me off the store completely. And how many of these cards you sell determine how many hours you get which is completely unfair because some days, or weeks even, are slower than others. The inconsistent scheduling is already a problem, but now on-call shifts are thrown in the equation and you can't even make plans for that day because you don't know if you're working or not. Which seems like an awful lot of sacrifice for the amount of pay received. During the holiday season, I thought I could make a little money to buy some gifts for family. I figured since they needed alot of hands on deck, I would get a decent amount of hours and thus, a decent amount of money. Nope. I hardly got scheduled, and when I actually had to go in, I was stretched very thin because it was usually just me and one other person working the entire store. So I found myself consistently busting my butt for a $38 paycheck. The people in upper management need a serious attitude adjustment. Just because someone doesn't make as much as you, doesn't make them less of a person, or any less deserving of respect. Also, if you and your coworkers spend alot of time getting the fundraising number up, don't expect to see an ounce of a reward or even gratitude. It all goes to upper management. It's not worth it.

Think about the lowly sales associate. Don't force us to push deals and make goals and give the reward solely to management. It's not right.

Lots of talented people, but a work culture that stifles any change or creativity

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

The product teams (tech, design, sourcing) are all really great people who know what they're doing and are mostly quite good at it. Pay is higher than what you'd find in the fashion industry

Cons

Executive management is terrified of change and innovation, completely unwilling to take risks even though playing it safe has proven not to be the best strategy either (just look at the stock prices). They're quick to point fingers and will not take any accountability.

Grow some balls.