New York & Company

New York & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

New York & Company CEO Gregory Scott

Gregory Scott

Pros
  • None, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it(in 17 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, great discount and extra discount days(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to sell the NYC credit cards, clientele is older women(in 52 reviews)

• Work-life balance is often not great, and the staff is spread too thin(in 10 reviews)

Had a very enjoyable experience with NYCO and I would recommend any good worker to work with their company.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Deptford

ProsStrong leaders and management; realistic to personal issues; worked right along side of employees even though they may have been management; always gave supportive words

ConsBad retail hours around holiday; not enough hours during summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep having a positive attitude towards your employees and they will do good work for you

assistant manager

Anonymous (Current Employee)

Prosthe discount is great when buying clothes

Consnot enough payroll hours to support the workload

Okay Experience

ProsGreat co-workers
    Merchandise is beautiful
    Discount is great
    Music in the store is exciting

ConsThe pressure to sell credit cards is too much. If you don't meet your nightly goal, you get in trouble with the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe less pressure on the credit cards; pretty much anyone who wants a credit card already has one since the store has very loyal repeat customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crazy hours, but the people you work with make it all worth while!

Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThe pay and benefits are pretty great. The people I work with are some of the hardest working people I know. I have so much respect for the work ethic of my store manager and my district manager! Also, everyone is usually very friendly and easy to work with. We truly are a customer-first environment.

ConsThere are difficult customers from time to time, but that is expected at any retail store. I don't like how overtime is only $4 an hour because that is usually just blown away with taxes. You definitely put in a lot of overtime at this company, so getting paid half-time for overtime is not acceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime should not be half-time. I love the new customer first movement set in place!

Semi fair. No room to grow

Store Management (Current Employee)

ProsGood salaries and benefits. Tuition reimbursement 80 percent of cost. I like the people I work with. Sometimes not enough support to accomplish tasks.

ConsLack of payroll to execute projects timely and accurate. Sometime your best is still not good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your teams the support and tools they need to be successful.

Worked with great people

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Cranberry, PA (US)

ProsFlexible schedule, great discount and extra discount days

ConsTons of hours during holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher salary for a job which requires a big commitment would keep an employee longer.

Awful

ProsThere really are no "pros". The store discount is 20%, unless there is some sort of sale going on, then there isn't an employee discount.

ConsThe training was not very good. I would often have different managers telling me different things. It was also very difficult to get a sick day if it was needed. I woke up vomiting one morning and all the hand book says is that we have to give a 3 hour notice if you can't go in. Simple right, no. My manager tried to tell me if I couldn't get someone to cover my shift I would have to go in anyway, and then the next day they decided to tell me that if I didn't go in 5 hours earlier than my shift I would be fired. Needless to say I put my 2 weeks notice in the next day.

Another thing is that the type of people who shop there are generally very terrible people to be around, they are rude and if you refuse to adjust the price of an item for someone they could very well throw their coins at you.

The credit card is also pushed far too much. I am sick of feeling as though I am harassing customers to invest in a credit card that they don't want to have, and some of the people who don't want to apply for one have a very good reason for it, if you are not approved it will hurt your credit score (which I wish I knew when one of my managers forced me to apply for one, she wouldn't let us close until I applied).

Also, good luck getting any sort of break if you work less than 8 hours in the day. It is a federal law that you get one at 6 hours. But apparently this company thinks it is above the law.

Overall a 20% store discount SOMETIMES (if there isn't a sale going on, which there always is) is not worth the headache that this company is to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think any advice can help management at this point.

Do Not Apply

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone, don't fall for the " employee discount" trust me its not worth it!

ConsHorrible place to for for. As a sales associate, all management is concerned about is getting employees to open Credit Cards and will badger you if you don't. Thing is Associates don't get bonuses when they open credit cards, but the managers do. What ever happened to customer service?

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your sales staff with respect.

Fast paced, relentless calendar

ProsCompensation, the people are fantastic

ConsThe monthly deliveries are very challenging, very fast pace.

Can't stay much longer

MSA (Current Employee) Flint, MI (US)

ProsYou always have things to do, employee discount isn't terrible unless you have a store wide sale, and if you get credit you do get rewarded with more than 4 hours a week.

ConsI have worked for the company for two years and was promoted to MSA. They expect you to have management expectations without the training of a manager or the wages of management. High turnover rate, forcing employees to quit, if you do not get credit then you do not get hours, the micromanagement is ridiculous, when I could use an on call shift employee I was yelled at for going over on pay roll, and to top it off I asked for a vacation a year in advance that a previous district manager approved to find out a week before my trip that I am not able to go anymore. No PTO either.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect, from store manager down to associates. You cannot expect an associate to only work 4 hours a week to live and you cannot expect your management to bend over backwards for a company that does not care about them.

Worked for New York & Company? Contribute to the Community!