News Corp

www.newscorp.com

News Corp Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
News Corp – New York – “View of the News Corporation headquarter office…”

News Corp Chairman and CEO K. Rupert Murdoch

K. Rupert Murdoch

Reasonable employer

Journalist (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsSupportive, friendly, good work conditions.

ConsDogmatic, poor technology, understaffed (as most media companies)

Advice to Senior ManagementLess political bias in news

Not a pleasant experience

Operations (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsAlways the people make the place worth while. They did have a flexible working model and were trying to improve the culture

ConsHomophobic and misogynistic. At the time managers had a blind eye approach if they were not directly involved. There was a lot of upheaval with an organisation that was undergoing transformation. However their appeared to be a self serving approach from senior management at the time. Very little support for innovation or progressive business approaches

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the path of transformation but exercise integrity with your words and actions. It will create a cohesive and productive working environment if you stop the sabotage to protect your possitions.

Program Manager

Program Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsVery friendly workplace, led by good management. Very good and experienced editors. IT area just went through a major upgrade. Program was well run, delivered an ERP on-time and on-budget by CTO.

ConsOld fashioned leadership. Need to upgrade their views especially when challenged by digital technologies. Although IT has been upgraded, old ways of doing things need to be abandoned.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge that digital technologies are here to stay and will expand into print.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A struggle.

Interaction Designer (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsI worked with a lot of great people who we're really talented and committed. I learned from my peers while I was there.

ConsProjects went from super important and urgent to not as important as the next shiny thing.
    I didn't learn from senior management or get much support during the tough times.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff to be their best.

Aging Giant

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsJournos and media a fun culture. Loved my time there until the industry collapsed.

ConsLack of commercial nous. Journos still don't get digital.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that get digital. Still have old fogey stogy politics and people in place.

Going downhill quickly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsMajor brands, leading position in Australia, some smart people. Some growth left in some of the digital businesses like Moshtix or The Australian.

ConsMajor budget cuts, revenue declines, plenty of fear in the organisation. News historically was in a position of strength and you could count on developing a solid career there. Now, many of the more interesting business are only loosely affiliated (Fox Sports, Foxtel) and the core newspaper business is in a state of managed decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of honesty and communication under Harto seems to have disappeared. It may be too late to get that back, but it's worth trying.

Never work for News Digital Media in Sydney

Disclosed But IT Related (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosnothing really I hate every thing there

ConsIt is very political environment, they are not professional and can't handle any criticism.

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair and honest. Also get rid of your current middle management team, there are not good and all the employees know about that. I've not heard anything but bad stuff from people who are working there.

Great Staff

Tax Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsExtremely coordinated tax department, with very competend and friendly people. I had a great experience while I was working at News Corp.

ConsSometimes there would not be much work for me to do as an intern, but everyone was always very helpful and understanding when I got swamped with things to do

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that you keep your interns occupied and keep trying to teach them more. The internship program at News Corp is great, and I was completely happy with it.

Sales

Advertising Account Executive- Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsManagement has been a pleasure to work with in my time there. Very Hands On
    Also give freedom to learn and explore new opportunities within company.

ConsThe backend is atrocious. Very dated systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade Systems, and bring in qualified help.

Dow Jones is a company undergoing some needed transition, but it is no longer a good employer,

Senior Product Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGenerally, great co-workers
    News business is fast-paced and ever changing, so life stays interesting
    Working in a global company provides wide ranging perspective

ConsSignificant changes in the corporate culture have made it a difficult workplace
    Now much more difficult to achieve work/family/life balance
    No clear strategic direction; difficult to determine rationale behind many decisions

Worked for News Corp? Contribute to the Community!