Nexen

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fang Zhi

Pros
  • Great people new organization trying to build into a local player in oil sands(in 7 reviews)

• Great compensation and benefits(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is not college educated however has far too much power over decision making(in 3 reviews)

• Not sure how the most recent takeover by Cnooc will affect the company(in 4 reviews)

Technically Lost

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a great deal of work to be done
    Genuinely nice people
    Business units (other than IT) genuinely happy
    Much more opportunity for meaningful work for IT employees

ConsFundamental misunderstanding of technology/architecture
    Heavy reliance on Gartner reports
    Get it done at all costs mentality in many cases
    Not meaningful or challenging work for senior contractors

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in senior people from other environments to help craft a longer term view

Good money

ProsCulture is nice and supporting

ConsChinese involvement has ruined canadian autocracy

Nexen USA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsDecent pay, Nice building, generally well meaning company, but...

ConsThe US version of this company is kind of on the ropes. Loosing a lot of staff, for a variety of pretty good reasons, and though they are no longer an immediate extension of the canadian way, it still ends up being the default management style.
    I dont think it is unfair to say this companies future is definitely a question mark, a previous poster called it a "Bright Future" and I hope for the sake of those who remain that is true, but that was not the consensus opinion of the average individual when I was there.
    I would strongly suggest you ask a lot of questions at the interview about staffing, future, scope.
    The good news is that all of this bodes well for negotiating your pay. Trust me, they need you, just dont think you are going to retire here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak out of the Canadian mold, you are carrying a fair amount of dead weight in low level managers who are out of their element.
    Best of luck

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fulltime employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood hiring package, good work to off time balance. Vacation time is very competitive, good pension options

ConsCompensation pay is barely competitive for work expected. People in management that are not qualified, do not by Nexens values at mid level. HR is out of touch with industry competitiveness to retain good employees, no accountability of work by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes men are not your best employees for management.

Excellent Employer

ProsFantastic benefits and a bright future

ConsLots of time away from home

up and coming SAGD producer with excellent corporate values and personnel.

Supply Chain Professional (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

Proswork/life balance, compensation/benefits, carpool program, environment, co-workers, approachable management

Consless vacation time than competition, no fly in-out, far commuting distance to town, lack of direction/focus, discrepancies between Calgary and Ft Mac HR policies/programs

Different company, talks lots no direction of policies

ProsGood values, good structure, flexible hours

ConsPoor Management, no workers too contractor orientated, treated better than employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real support employees don't hinder

Don't Waste Your Time

Contractor (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsCompensation and benefits are good and that's about it.

ConsManagement lacks direction. They've had a lot of initiatives and 'meet the VP' over the years and nothing changes. There are a lot of expensive team events without regard for the bottom line. Needs serious downsizing, carrying dead weight. No opportunities and doesn't like to promote from within. There are people there who aren't qualified working there, but have nice personalities. Be prepared to pick up their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake charge and make your people accountable.

I really liked working at Nexen

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

ProsThe car pool facility and the working envoirnment is awesome.

ConsThe driving distance is the only con.

Positive, fulfilling and worthwhile

Process Control Co-op Engineer (Former Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

Pros- the people: though there is a recognized management system, everyone is treated equally
    - company safety policy: 12 rules that are followed very strictly!
    - exposure: being at the Long Lake SAGD & Upgrader facility allowed me to witness the process first-hand. It is a completely different learning experience as compared to looking at a textbook or computer screen
    - the facility had it's first major turnaround begin in Aug 2012: this allowed me to get up close to vessels and machines and learn much more about the way things work

Cons- this could be viewed as a pro too, but there was quite a bit of change in the company in my short time there. The CEO got fired the morning of my first day of work (Jan 2012), my own boos got fired 3 months after that, and the company was bought out by CNOOC in Aug 2012.

Advice to Senior Management- to continue to put safety and people ahead of production, as this will ultimately lead to better production and profits

Worked for Nexen? Contribute to the Community!