Next Retail

Updated 4 March 2015
3.2

Next Retail CEO Simon Wolfson
Simon Wolfson

Pros
  • The staff discount was a great benefit and the people who worked there (in 16 reviews)

• 25% off after several weeks work is a good discount (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The shift patterns are 3 hour shifts for part timers and you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week (in 3 reviews)

• Too strict, many changes in managers and no real prospects for promotion (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great colleagues but not fun during sale periods

I worked at Next Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues were really friendly, the shift market place where you could offer and pick up shifts

Cons

Completely takes over your life during sale periods, can be a little oppressive for example cctv monitoring to ensure you put hangers away correctly

Next are snakes who decide to continuously come close to breaking the law with their demand on young workers

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Solihull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Solihull, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

You've never felt happiness like walking out of work at the end of your shift.

Cons

You remember that you're working tomorrow, the next day and probably the next day and the next day after that

Talk to employees like they actually are normal people and not the age of 2
    Actually consider our other lives outside of work (yes, we do have other lives) and understand we can't work shifts.

I enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Stockroom Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

My manager was understanding and everybody was easy to get on with.
    Team work was key so you were rarely blamed personally for targets not being met.
    Online system for rota and holidays which is very good.
    Holidays were almost always granted, and if not shift swaps or negotiations were allowed.
    Always opportunity for extra hours.

Cons

The role itself was very laborious and repetitive.

Christmas bonus should be more evenly spread across shop floor and stockroom workers.

It was okay, social life was affected due to unsociable hours.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good salary and benefits including monthly bonus.

Cons

Management and how you weren't allowed to 'moan'.

Listen to your staff and help with their queries.

Not the best place to work

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Next Retail (less than a year)

Pros

Discount and friendly employees

Cons

Long hours and not being appreciated for your work, no respect.

Interesting

Current Employee - Trainee Merchandiser in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Merchandiser in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Next Retail full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people here are great. All lovely and fine to get on with, from the product systems teams to the kitchen staff, there's a great sense of camaraderie.

Cons

There is also a culture, particularly in product teams, to work inexplicably long hours. People regularly work 10-12 hour days because the workload is high. This would be understandable if there were certain weeks of the year where things slowed; but this isn't the case (with the exception of christmas)

If people seem overworked and drained from long hours, they probably are. A lot of departments could be vastly imporved if only they had an admin to free up more of their time to do their job.

The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing

Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Temporay) in Tralee (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant (Temporay) in Tralee (Ireland)

I worked at Next Retail part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Simplistic screening process means that time spent on R&S is limited. Good for candidates who don't have time for drawn out recruitment processes.
    - Management and staff are friendly and approachable for the most part.
    - The staff discount would be beneficial to those interested in NEXT products.

Cons

- Very little communication from management regarding work attire, working hours, break periods, etc. And while a company ishould display this information on the likes of a noticeboard for staff viewing, ours was blocked from view by an amount of boxes and storage equipment lying in the canteen.
    - Hours fluctuate wildly for part-timers. One can expect 20 hours on Sunday and on Monday find their hours cut down to 8-9 hours with no satisfactory explanation. This leaves no possibility to accurately budget for one's expenses during the period.
    - The store I was employed in also appeared to hire far too many temporary staff which resulted in reduced hours for all involved. It really did seem as though management favoured quantity of staff over quality of hours with regard to the seasonal budget. Needless to say you had more than a small amount of social loafing as a result. At once stage there were four people doing recovering of items in an area of the store where ONE person would struggle to find work to do for longer than an hour.
    - Staff morale appeared to be quite poor. The leading topic of conversation during my time there was nearly always related to staff's unhappiness with their working hours and the inflexibility of management. It struck me as ironic that while the full-timers were denied reduced working hours over Christmas, the temporary staff were having their hours continuously cut over that same period. Is the function of temporary staff not to supplement the existing workforce during seasonal periods?
    - Lack of communication between management and supervisors. On my first day of a 7.00 - 14.00 shift, the team leader was shocked to see so many temporary workers and mentioned repeatedly that he had no idea there were going to be so many of us working that day. He then struggled to find us all something to work on, resulting in most of us finishing up three hours before our shift was due to finish. This was not his fault, just a result of lack of basic communication between management regarding how many people would be reporting to him that day.
    - No furnishment of actual employment contract! This is a basic work entitlement, and the fact that NEXT chose not to provide any temporary staff with it shows a disregard on their part for an individual's basic and psychological contract needs. It also resulted in numerous part-timers querying everything from their basic pay to their work hours to their work attire. Had a contract actually been provided to individuals, it likely would have resulted in far less ambiguity. In less than two weeks, most temporary staff had joined the ranks of those openly voicing their discontent for their working hours.
    - The means by which the temporary staff found out they had worked their last day with NEXT was when we clocked out at the end of our shift and a message came up on the till stating "You have just completed your final day of contractual employment with NEXT. Thank you for your contribution." I later asked a member of store management if this was the case as we were told verbally that we were not due to finish for another five days, but she confirmed that what was said on the till was correct. I was grateful that the till at least had between fortright with me and had thanked me for my work.

- Understand that you have a psychological contract with your workforce. Breaching this with a new employee will only serve to enable cynicism and contagion among your staff. Recognise the basic processes outlined above that can result in your employees speaking favorably about you as an employer.
    - Look at altering your staff model when it comes to seasonal periods such as Christmas - yes you brought on 25 - 30 people to work for you for several weeks, but all of those had their hours cut when demand for staff was low (ie. every other day besides St. Stephen's Day, and even then the turnout was underwhelming). Would it not be better served to have half as many staff with twice as many hours? It would certainly help with regard to keeping track of them all and not acting surprised when so many of them show up ready to work one day.
    - Investigate the possible causes of malcontent within your existing workforce: I as a new employee was quite surprised to hear staff being so vocal with their disatisfaction of NEXT policies. New employeees will pick up on this and follow suit. I didn't see any kind of "suggestion box" lying around - perhaps this would be a better outlet for their opinions?

It is hard at first but when you get used to it, it gets better.

I have been working at Next Retail

Pros

- Hours
    - Staff discount
    - people

Cons

- bonus is based on mystery shop results

Very welcoming and friendly staff

I worked at Next Retail

Pros

Everyone was helpful and i new what was expected of me at all times, i was never lost whilst working for them.

Cons

Only i was only a temp and was not given enough shifts

Give more shifts out

Next Retail Photos

Next & TKmaxx Woking (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Next Offices - Enderby (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anthony Parkes, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo