Next (UK)

Be The First To
Add Photos

Next (UK) CEO Simon Wolfson

Simon Wolfson

Flexible hours - low pay - limited progression after training - a good first job but other options if experienced

Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Next (UK) for more than 5 years

ProsStaff Discount 25% - I am at a very good shop, having worked at several and respect the management team overall, some managers are more flexible than others and encourage positive flexibility, but most are rather ridgid.

ConsManagement are a mixed bag from good to very smarmy - quite store dependent. Distribution pays better but very robotic. being a seasonal business forget quality Christmases or getting School Holidays off if below manager or Coordinator.

Advice to Senior Managementreinstate some of the benefits and consider more humane contracts - Van drivers paid the same as Sales consultants but effectively supervisors? The enhanced training is very good but perhaps some sort of incentive at the end of it.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Personal development and overall job satisfaction'

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Next (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible working hours , overtime , job security , ability to progress , good training scheme and positive appraisal system

ConsRecently reduced premium for working Boxing Day , poor security team meaning high stock loss, confusing till updates.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate current managers to ensure most competent staff are doing the job. Better trained call center support staff as they are unhelpful.

horrible treatment of employees

Supervisor (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Next (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood promotion opportunities, beautiful childrenswear and some home merchandise, some nice co-workers, in some stores good customer service training.

Consconstantly cutting every employee benefit, giving random hours (short shifts not worth coming in for), cutting breaks, giving very little contract hours, then calling on the day and pressuring to take up shifts - as a result you have no life what so ever, because they will make you drop any plans you made to come to work at last moment. No choice in shifts, horrible mess in management - they put people down for shifts on the rota and don't inform them, then give them disciplinaries for not coming to work. Store and Operations Managers demand completely unreasonably high efficiency that threatens the health and well-being of the workers, you will always be frustrated, because there is no chance what so ever of ever reaching a target - sales or operations. Training is ridiculous - the videos seem to be suitable for mentally retarded people only.
You feel like you are in a comma - every day is just running and running and running - no time to think, develop, improve, or God forbid innovate.
No place for a thinking human being, hated it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with respect, create some non-patronising training that treats people with respect, develop new designs for womenswear, CREATE ACHIEVABLE TARGETS at least sometimes, so once in a blue moon someone can reach it - it's motivating. Unlike the constant failure to reach targets. Teach people creativity - this way they will sell more and have more fun. We are not robots.

Great bonus's, bad shift patterns

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Next (UK) part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat bonus's when we meet targets and even better super bonus's! 25% staff discount and 75% uniform allowance. Good training program.

ConsThe shift patterns are 3 hour shifts for part timers and you can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week. You have to re-apply for your contract every year and if you don't get it you could be made redundant! They have red weeks when you are not allowed to take any time off work this is over busy periods like sale days and the whole of December...

hard work

Operative (Current Employee)
Doncaster, England (UK)

I have been working at Next (UK) full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood bonus and good hrs

Consbadly treated by the managers and feel like a slave

Advice to Senior Managementlook after your best staff better

Disorganised and frustrating

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Next (UK) part-time for less than a year

ProsNEXT is one of the few companies that hires 16 years old students, especially without experience, which is normally difficult to come by.

ConsDisorganisation on the part of staff, with expiration dates of contracts not being checked. Poor communication between staff and management. And low wages

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep track of contracts and ensure employees actually sign them

Had Good times there

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsPeople are cool
Uniform Allowances
Bonus's
Staff Discount

ConsLong hours over the week before xmas up till xmas eve over time is a must and every one has to work xmas eve. Dampens xmas spirit moreso if u have kids.
Pay is less than most other high street shops.
Staff turnover is unbeleivable

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your self back on the sales floor see the world through our eyes. Respect yourself
COME AND GO FAVOUR $ FAVOUR

Fulfilling

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Next (UK)

ProsFriendly atmosphere, nice team to work with.

ConsLow pay and overworked around Christmas period.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps could offer more feedback and advice to employees.

Awful

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Next (UK)

ProsThe staff discount, 25%. Sometimes nice customers make your day and the fact you make new friends with people.

ConsThe way you are treat, the hours, the managers, the rude customers, the sales. worst job i have ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat us like people, not like idiots, shouting at us infront of customers is not fair. Horrible work place! !

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Enfield, England (UK)

I worked at Next (UK)

ProsGreat place to work definitely.

Consit gets very busy at times

Advice to Senior Managementthey already do the best to help.

Worked for Next (UK)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Next (UK) reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Next (UK) CEO Simon Wolfson. All 13 reviews are posted anonymously by Next (UK) employees.