Niagara Bottling

Updated 11 February 2015
Updated 11 February 2015
2.8

Andy Peykoff II

Pros
  • This is a fast paced company who look for the best (in 7 reviews)

• Lots to learn, fast pace and fast growing company, great people to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance whatsoever (in 9 reviews)

• Good resume builder but no future here if you don't know anyone in upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people to work

I worked at Niagara Bottling

Pros

1)Good people
    2)Real work
    3) Good office culture

Cons

None as far as I know

Great, very supportive

I have been working at Niagara Bottling

Pros

Very supportive and helpful if I had questions, incredibly flexible with school schedule and even deliverables. Though my cons is lengthy, I very much had a positive experience here.

Cons

Very little structure for intern program. Highly structured from a corporate perspective it becomes diluted when implemented at the plant level with several unnecessary requirements that do not help grow the employee. While I appreciate the "internship is what you make it" mentality, I would have liked a little more guidance and expectations so I could devote myself to learning one or two skills very well as opposed to a myriad of them (jack of all trades).

Give your interns defined meaningful work that can be implemented from plant to plant. I was fortunate for my plant to have plenty of work to give me, but I know other interns who were not so lucky.

Promises promises

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Water sale, fresh fruit and most of the staff were ok.

Cons

Well where to begin there are so many, first and foremost compensation is lacking most salaries do not meet local or national standards. If you don't come in at a high salary your future increases will be disappointing since increase is based on a percentage of your current salary. When coming on board recruiting made big promises to get you in giving the impression that within first year you will get at least 2 more pay increases. HR loves to use the lateral move to get out of pay increases despite job duties being second tier skill set. Lots of staff get the carrot dangled in front of them. It's a shame it could be a great place to work if the politics nepotism and the owners treating staff as their personal staff would go away. Pointing fingers has to stop and leaders need to take accountability. Give staff money there are no year end nothing no bonuses for non-executive staff. It disheartening for staff to see exec in new cars new hand bags like people don't notice. What upper management and owners forget if it wasn't for the fact people need a job and will tolerate most anything because they have families not because they love their jobs. Just look at the track record high turn around inability to attract new staff speaks volumes it's too bad Niagara is deaf.

Clean house too many managers and executives. If a team bombs you get rid of the coach.

resume builder, but painful

I worked at Niagara Bottling full-time

Pros

you get work experience and training to put on your resume for your job applications to get you out of here. i got a significant raise (compensation, benefits and work culture) when i got another offer.

Cons

1. house of unnecessary secrecy: upper management withholds information from subordinates so they never understand why they are working their lives away.
    2. when things go wrong, many people's first reactions is to find a place to point the finger of blame. expect to spend a significant portion of your time explaining yourself to upper management even when you're doing everything perfectly right.
    3. low pay, low benefits, low vertical mobility unless you're in "the club" or network your way into "the club"
    4. pay was exceptionally low for a position on which i could be contacted any time after hours to work.

stop promising raises and promotions when you don't intend to give it out. it's better not to offer it than to dangle it and not give it to us.

One Big Scam

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)

I have been working at Niagara Bottling full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few come to mind. I suppose the discounted water could be considered a perk. How about some real live incentives and access to growth and financial gains to keep people engaged and feeling like a part of the process?

Cons

A top-heavy and very unprofessional company packed with liars and back-stabbers, particularly in management and HR. Most everyone else is either inexperienced (or naively thinking they can get ahead here) and trying to learn on the job under excessive workloads and pressure with little work-life balance.

Try out some honesty and integrity opposed to the typically backwards and uneven/under-handed approaches to problem-solving. Take some responsibility for your trial and error failures instead of blaming other, oftentimes powerless and uninvolved employees. We understand you want to quietly rule the bottling world as a private company but your methods are crooked and your reputation is clearly sinking.

Production

I have been working at Niagara Bottling full-time

Pros

2-2-3 schedule.. ample work, life balance
    great learning experience as I knew nothing about the bottling industry when I started
    If you ask for help, somebody is always willing.

Cons

12 hour days takes some getting used to.. its a sweatbox in the summer.

Toxic HR culture

Former Employee - Business Development in Ontario, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development in Ontario, CA (US)

I worked at Niagara Bottling

Pros

I have nothing positive to say about them

Cons

On paper, their HR conflict resolution system is quite robust - if you have a problem with someone else, you're supposed to confront them about it, then bring a manager into the discussion, then report the problem to HR only if you are not able to resolve the issue through lesser means. In practice, everyone emails HR immediately, and the only way you find out if someone has a problem with you is through office gossip or HR calls you in for a talk.

Work Hard / Play Hard Culture, Challenging But Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA (US)

I have been working at Niagara Bottling full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Niagara is a fast paced company that moves quickly and is growing at a rapid pace (30+% a year for the past decade.) There are lots of opportunities for internal promotions and professional development. Managers expect a lot out of their employees. The company is 100% family owned and the owners are still involved in the business and there is a family culture, even though the business has grown dramatically. There are lots of training opportunities and rotational programs for employee development.

Cons

- The corporate office is crowded, with parking becoming a big problem.
    - Benefits could be better
    - The culture is not for everyone. People coming from larger companies tend to have a hard time adapting to the pace.
    - Many departments are under staffed leading to resource constraints

Friendship means more than credentials.

Current Employee - QA
    Current Employee - QA

I have been working at Niagara Bottling

Pros

Water sales were a good deal

Cons

Being friends with the supervisor is the way to get promoted . I got passed over for a lead QA position by a girl who has less than a month of QA experience and no college education. I have over 2 years QA experience and a Bachelor of Science degree. My supervisor and her have become fast friends. How can someone lead me when this person knows barely anything about the job. Politics.

Reward base on skill not friendship