Nielsen Reviews

Updated 25 April 2015
1469 reviews filtered by

Great place to work if you are in senior management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

The people are one of the best reasons to work for this company. I have never met more intelligent and nicer people in another company.
    The job itself is also quite good - interesting work and allows for autonomy. which is great. The work/life balance within this company is encouraged and has been evident with flexibilty when needed.

Cons

The employee morale within this company has been on a steady decline since I joined and is now probably lower than it has been over the last few years. The lack of recognition of employees who are not senior management is apparent here and every move to better your career is a battle. more money = batte; promotion = battle, the constant "even though you have exceeded expectations, money/promotion not this time,,,,sorry" is frustrating, esp after several years of excelling performance reviews.
    The company is great for junior level employees and senior. For anyone in between, not as lucky.

Also, the pay does not match competitor companies.

Advice to Management

Need to retain good staff. At the end of the day the costs & time associated with recruiting, training, etc is much higher than just giving someone a small payrise or some sort of recognition. Just remember that a pat on the back does not pay people's bills

2. membership representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Nielsen

Pros

great company, great supervisor thanks mike

Cons

nothing, every thing is perfect , gret company

Advice to Management

love management and wish to increase the number of empolyees

3. SVP

I have been working at Nielsen full-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Clear vision, strong values, focus on driving client value. Out of several places that I've worked in the past and many different clients that I've had direct experience with - Nielsen rises to the top.

Cons

Marketplace dynamics are difficult. This is not a Con for Nielsen in particular. In fact, Nielsen's creativity and willingness to invest to overcome competitive challenges is exemplary, especially in advance of client's needs. However, the dynamics definitely create angst since competitors aren't acting in the best interest of clients and the industry overall. Their focus, for the most part, seems very short-term.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the future and invest, invest, invest. Nielsen's future is bright and I'm very glad to be a part of it.

5. Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic, challenging, strong ownership, always learning, doing, and great culture and work environment. Reputable standing within the industry.

Cons

Pressure from clients, juggling multiple projects at once is sometimes overwhelming. Long work hours. Structure really doesn't permit more in my country, but it is sometimes too much.

Advice to Management

Change is good, and I'm all for new and dynamic ways of working, but takes time to move a team set in old ways. Company has the right focus to make it happen, but when you're running with it, something new is coming up!

6. Overall it was nice

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Nielsen as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice People to work with...Niche Market. Learned a Lot... Great Boss

Cons

Vendor mgmt needs to improve

Advice to Management

go aggressively

7. Associate Client Manager

Current Employee - Associate Client Manager in Lisbon (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Associate Client Manager in Lisbon (Portugal)

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an interesting company to work for due to a constant need to innovation to achieve new consumer perspectives across the globe.

Cons

It's a multinational company with too many horizontal structures which (local and international) which in some cases bureaucratizes quick and simple process's.

Advice to Management

Simplify company process it's important to achieve quick and better results. Nowadays, with consumers changing habits in daily basis, we need to be able to deliver information to our clients in a faster and friendly way.

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it"

8. Loved the friendly and exuberant culture.

Former Intern - Retailer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Intern - Retailer in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Nielsen as an intern

Pros

Everyone is super friendly and the company has a really open culture. You get to interact with senior management almost everyday in unpressurized settings.

Cons

While the interns have it good, many of the full timers tend to work long hours.

Advice to Management

The pay might be a little lacking for entry level positions, but keep up the culture!

9. ops exec

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vadodara (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vadodara (India)

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good company
    nice learning
    safe job
    Flexible timing
    work from homw

Cons

slow growth
    same work again and again

Advice to Management

very good management keep it up

10. Director, Neuroscience

I worked at Nielsen full-time

Pros

For a large corporation, I always felt that Nielsen was an incredibly supportive employer filled with amazingly smart, capable, and interesting people. While I went through some medical and personal struggles during my time there, my direct supervisor and senior management were very supportive and treated me with compassion and fairness. Though I ultimately left the company to explore other opportunities in a completely new field closer to my passions, I have nothing but the highest praise for Nielsen as an employer. I treasured my time working there and still keep in touch with many of my former co-workers.

Cons

I don't have many cons to describe working at Nielsen. I was not particularly a fan of the performance review process there, which some of my co-workers found to be a little arbitrary. I dislike that process at many companies, however.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is simply to keep up the good work and continue to provide a supportive and compassionate working environment for your employees. For a large company that is a market leader, you have a strong commitment to innovation in research. Hold to that and keep trying new things.

11. Great Company to work for.

I worked at Nielsen full-time

Pros

The Canadian organization is a great place to work.

Cons

Outsourcing caused many to lose their long term employment with the company