Nintendo of America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime

Reggie Fils-Aime

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, nice amenities on campus, great employees to work beside (but not necessarily to work for)"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Really smart, passionate people, work life balance encouraged, a place where balancing children and work might be more easy than other places"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Only part-time, no full-time offer in my location"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Incredibly toxic work environment where contractors are told in no uncertain terms that Nintendo does not think of them as people, let alone employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good workers, management is lacking

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe employees are great and have a positive attitude. The Hawaii house is an awesome benefit.

ConsThe management structure is based on promoting people for performing individual contributor tasks well, and as a result they don't lead/manage well. It can be very frustrating to work under people like this.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice with upper management is to re-shape the management structure. Stop micro-managing employees, allow people to help in making decisions, talk openly and frequently with your employees, teach your managers how to manage, and create a means of measuring management performance on the leadership level instead of just looking at numbers.

Great Great Pay!

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time

ProsChallenging work, awesome benefits, great pay, fun people in most cases. Great location, flexible hours within reason and great exposure to international business styles.

Conslack of clarity, lack of clear expectations at times, favoritism, unfair review processes.

Great benefits, lousy lob environment

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery good benefits. The medical and dental are excellent. You can get a Pro Club membership and they have other outstanding benefits. Vacation is a plus as you get more time is shorter years of service than most companies. The company is very good about sick time and getting needed time off.

ConsThe work place is big brother to the extreme. You have to account for every minute of your time. Very negative culture. Management focuses on what you do wrong, and part of your job is to report what others do wrong.

No chance for growth or promotion for the average worker unless you are in the in crowd. Horrible work environment. Favoritism runs rampant. Either you are in the good old boys club or you are not.

Unlike most places where you get your vacation allocation at the beginning of each year, you accrue it every pay period. Vacation is a plus and minus as you earn vacation time quickly. See above.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild morale by making the work environment a more positive place. Break up the cliques. Provide chances for growth. Monitoring productivity is needed, but it has become excessive.

One big family full of amazing people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture differs somewhat from department to department, but I can give some general characteristics that probably apply throughout the company:

-Good benefits: there's good health care and dental care, generous bonuses, relatively high salaries, and a work-life balance that is extremely nice given the all-too-common overtime in the rest of the game industry. In general, I think the average employee at Nintendo has been there for 8 years or so, which is extremely long considering the high turnover rate of the industry.

-It's one big family: departments interact with each other a lot and by the time I left the company I had literally over a hundred friends there across various departments. Leaving the company was a very sentimental experience for me.

-Lots of amazing, smart people: Nintendo really does attract some of the best and brightest people from all types of professions. So many people have grown up loving Nintendo and their games, and a lot of these people end up applying to Nintendo when they get older. Odds are that if you're a game programmer, a professional writer, a Japanese translator, or a QA expert, at one point or another you've wondered what it's like to work for Nintendo. This means that the company's constantly attracting talent from all over the world--people who are not only in the top of their field, but who are lifelong fans. That's a big deal.

-The company wants employees to have fun: there are lots of interesting employee activities to keep up morale, like all-company parties, talks by various groups and creators in the company, and an annual video game tournament between offices. There's a built-in fitness center, a soccer field, a volleyball court, a basketball court, and a tennis court. The company, of course, is full of gamers; I recall a group of hardcore Mario Kart DS players who've been playing the game at lunch every single day for nearly a decade!

-You get to meet Mario!

ConsIt's an old company with lots of history: this can be both good and bad. Nintendo has been around since 1889, and it carries with it a rich legacy in the Japanese and worldwide entertainment industry. This gives it a strong reputation, powerful IP, and perhaps the industry's best collection of long-time creators and leaders. But at the same time, it makes for a fiscally and technologically conservative approach which can be at odds with younger, perhaps more adventurous-minded employees.

Working for a foreign parent company has its own unique challenges: if you're in America, at least, you'll be dealing with Nintendo in Japan, and the time difference and language barriers can make things tough. Even with all of the Japanese-English interpreters that Nintendo has, communicating business ideas across cultural boundaries takes a lot of time and careful thought. This can be difficult for people used to dealing only with colleagues who speak their own language.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the hard work.

Great place if you started there 20 years ago

I have been working at Nintendo of America part-time

ProsGood pay and benefits, IF you are hired full time
The President is a great guy with a lot of vision
The product is one to be proud of

ConsVery much a clique atmosphere, people are not friendly at all especially if you are a part time employee. Lots of negative gossip by the people who have been there a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something to make it easier to move from PT to FT; do something about career progression because there are so few opportunities

Life at Nintendo of America

Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery diverse opportunities
Uniquie benifits
Good training opportunities
Family like culture

ConsLean opperation requires many different roles and responsibilities
Job growth is dependant on the state of the video game industry

Fun and rewarding. Very challenging to deal with the mother company

Software Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 8 years

Prosworking with some of the smartest engineers on the planet.

Consworking on some of the most unrealistic schedule ever had

A company with a niche brand for a slowly diminishing niche audience.

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The company puts employees' physical health at the top. On-site tennis courts, soccer field, and fitness gym & changing/locker rooms.
- Free Seattle bus transit pass for employees.
- Bicycle friendly campus with bike paths and a large locker area with a work bench.
- Small discounts on game systems but generous discounts on video game software.

Cons- The company's operating infrastructure is outdated and slow, but slowly improving to a new infrastructure.
- Senior staff/management with 7 - 10+ years at the company are still living or operating like a 1980's video game company.
- Very stingy promotions and raises to newer employes.
- Very little or slow growth and development to your own career. A lot of work and very little rewards.
- You don't accrue vacation time on your 1st couple months of work.
- 401k matching is not as competitive to my previous company.
- No free meals or drinks at their on-site cafeteria.
- Current video game products do not appeal to my children as they are distracted on smart devices that can do more than just video games.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn a company wide memo, every year, I see the same employee names on a list being promoted, why? Where is the reason why they are being promoted? Please promote more new employees who are great examples that showed, applied, pushed, and/or executed great ideas and innovation within the company (also employees who tried their best yet didn't achieve complete success). Share their accomplishment to the rest of the company so that other employees can follow and be inspired by their great works. Don't just tell us names and their new job titles on a list.

Amazing company

Merchandising Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than a year

ProsGood starting pay/opportunity for bonuses
Appreciate employees
Management communicates goals clearly
Free/early access to games and systems
Awesome culture

ConsDriving my own car
Not having a company phone

Some good people, but surprisingly horrible experience

I have been working at Nintendo of America as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere are some nice, smart people who work here.

ConsMiddle management, at least from my perspective, was short-sighted, deceptive, defensive and just all around horrible... Not to mention they made stupid mistakes on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to do a better job hiring managers who actually know how to communicate and care about more than impressing their bosses. You need to entirely revamp your marketing department as it is not working. You need to be less provincial considering you are getting your butt kicked in the gaming industry. You need to stop take your marching orders from Japan as they do not and will likely never understand the North American market. You need to do a much better job at respecting and evaluating your existing talent. This was quite honestly the worst working experience of my life and I was completely shocked by that as Nintendo is a very endearing brand.

Worked for Nintendo of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nintendo of America reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Nintendo of America CEO Reggie Fils-Aime . All 63 reviews are posted anonymously by Nintendo of America employees.