Nitro

Updated 9 December 2014
4.1

Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Great culture with meaningful values (High Performance, Be Good, No Bullsh*t) and a great place to learn!

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nitro is unique in that it's rare to find a company that truly lives up to its core values. It's a really exciting time to be at the company too. We've just closed a round of funding, the product vision is more exciting than ever, and the team here are some of the best, most talented people I've ever worked with. There are also really great growth and career opportunities for those who are willing to put in the hard work to learn and move up. It also feels like everyone wants to be here, irrespective of their role, which I think speaks volumes.

Cons

Things are changing quickly as we scale and the company has definitely experienced growing pains, but it's all normal stuff and part of growing a business. It's a fast-paced work environment that's not for everyone but I find it very rewarding. Communication across departments could be better, but this has improved lately.

Continue to protect the culture and our values, to develop talent and promote from within and be as transparent as possible about growth plans and the vision for the future. Keep up the great work!

The opportunity of a lifetime

Former Employee - Test Automation Engineer in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Test Automation Engineer in Melbourne

I worked at Nitro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exceptional workplace culture. They really do make you feel like a member of the team, like you are part of the family - I know this sounds clichéd, but it really is that good. Lots of employee perks (24/7 beer fridge, breakfast / lunch provided, discount gym memberships, etc.).

Your work is always highly valued, your opinions always matter. Reasonably flat heirachy. Lots of freedom in roles (within reason) and opportunity for career growth.

Cons

Not as many annual reviews as I would have preferred, some disconnects between different departments (due to time-zone differences and locations) lead to a bit of isolation at times.

Don't lose the Nitronaut spirit!

All companies need to take a lead from Nitro

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nitro is unlike any other. It challenges itself constantly...mediocrity is not an option. As a disruptor and a challenger brand, Nitro aims for the stars and empowers its employees to reach even higher.

The organisation trusts its employees to deliver on its objectives and gives those individuals and groups all the support and tools needed not only to achieve those, but go beyond that.

Sure the perks are great, but what Nitro delivers in terms of job satisfaction is more important than a few nice lunches a week, an endless supply of alcohol and gym subsidies.

I have been around a while and I have always measured the effectiveness of an organisation, to be how people walk into work everyday. At Nitro people walk into work in with a smile and it stays there all day.

Nitronauts are a proud bunch...so they should be, we are building something really special here!

Cons

You have to search far and wide to find negatives around here.

Nitro Rocks!

Current Employee - Operations Manager/APAC Sales Coordinator in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Operations Manager/APAC Sales Coordinator in Melbourne

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love our Melbourne team! Nitro has to be one of the best companies I've ever worked at! We are spoilt with perks including fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches, Friday beers, out of office lunches and awesome team events like Graffiti Workshops and Mini Cooper Challenges.

Cons

Working across different time zones can be challenging at times.

Awesome place to work, I love it

I have been working at Nitro

Pros

Great social atmosphere and camaraderie amongst all staff.

Cons

Having a small team spread over three continents mean delays in getting questions answered by the right people.

Awesome place, awesome people, awesome vibe.

I have been working at Nitro

Pros

Laid back, nice company. Great people to work with.

Cons

Frantic at times, under resourced.

Unique and inspiring culture, big product vision, lots of growth

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

By far the the most caring/genuine/authentic culture I have ever experienced but focused on performance. Big on product vision, amazing offices in downtown SF, international feel and international team, growing fast, just received big investement by top venture capital firm Battery Ventures. You will not meet a nicer but more driven bunch of folks anywhere. Lots of opportunities to grow your career, travel internationally, do different things. Serious benefits and perk program for a mid-sized company.

Cons

Company has always been bootstrapped until raising $15m from US VCs this quarter and has acted like a bootstrapped company, not spending enough where it needs to on things like marketing budget or experienced execs. But I think this is changing with the big investment. Also, if you are expecting to coast or take it easy, Nitro is not for you. Management seems to take a hard line when it doesn't see performance.

We need more experienced individual contributors and middle managers. Now that you've raised a big pile of cash, go find the best people in all the roles where you see gaps. Also, please don't lose the authentic Aussie work-hard no BS culture that Silicon Valley location and investment may try and change!

Great place to work with sharp, dedicated people.

Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone is transparent and truly owns issues. My experience is if there is a problem, the conversation goes right to finding solutions, not pointing blame. The staff here knows how to have fun and no one takes themselves too seriously. I am constantly challenged by the caliber of talent assembled at Nitro.

Cons

None come to mind. The work environment is an open floor plan with everyone (including management) working in a large room with multiple tables. Not for everyone, but it does promote collaboration.

Keep it up. You have created a very creative work atmosphere.

A great place to grow my career

I have been working at Nitro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nitro is a growing tech company that has a very bright future. With the growth of new offices and new positions, we really have the opportunity to drive our roles in the direction that we want to go withing the company. My team is positive and very hard working which keeps me motivated :) I have the autonomy to do what I'm great at and my manager trusts me. I know I will be with Nitro for years to come.

Cons

Right now there a few growing pains with adding new higher level positions that we previously did not have, but these are positions that we need to fill in order to be successful.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Nitro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been super impressed by the great culture that the founders and leadership team have built over the last 9 years. This plus the exciting new products coming to market make this an exciting place to work.

Cons

None from my POV. The senior leadership team is actively growing its ranks with high quality candidates, and this is further building clarity around the future vision as well as providing strong mentoring opportunities to me and the team around me.

Through the current growth phase, some folks need additional support, so maybe consider that as part of the active management process.