Noble Energy

3.2

Noble Energy Chairman and CEO Charles D. Davidson
Charles D. Davidson

OK

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has decent benefits, the salary is competitive, overall it's OK

Cons

It is difficult to move into different job responsibilities. Sometimes it seems like people don't want to share knowledge.

An introduction to corporate life

Current Employee - Division Order Specialist  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Division Order Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid pay.
    Great flex hours.

Cons

Conservative office culture.
    Glass ceiling based on degree title.

Better training materials.

Very inefficient processes and procedures.

Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Noble has high salaries and decent benefits. They also paid for parking. At Noble you work 9 hour days and half day every Friday. Noble is a great company, but unfortunately my department had arrogant supervisors that treated employees poorly.

Cons

Some supervisors were borderline verbally abusive. If you are not chosen as their "favorite" you will not be given any opportunity to succeed or lead projects. Noble has extremely inefficient procedures. You need to get ALL your work double/triple checked and approved, often by lower level inexperienced Analysts. They have created a culture of covering your own butt. Very slow processes and some inexperienced individuals make for a huge headache. The supervisors are extreme micro- managers. Many people on the team had poor morale. The CSB building looks and feels like a prison on the inside, no pictures, or art, just white walls and prison guard supervisors. Noble has a lot of talent, few are given encouragement and the opportunity to succeed. Many people keep their head down and fly under the radar and they only stay for the high salary. I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did if it wasn't for the high salary, but in the end my dignity and happiness prevailed. I always had extremely high performance evaluations, which was surprising considering the poor treatment I received from my supervisor. It was a very toxic work environment in my department.

Noble hires great talented people that need to be encouraged and mentored. Get rid of bully supervisors!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a great company, going downhill from here

Former Employee - Senior Geologist  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Geologist in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to be up-and-coming with growth, now senior management has changed-will likely be development/production oriented.
    The new building is beautiful, though don't know if and how Noble will actually grow to fill it. (Widely remarked)
    Good place for development geoscientists for the next few years.

Cons

Many will say that Noble has become too big, and is not addressing its poor quality lower level management.
    Not a place for explorers, at least until 2017. No grasp of regional geologic concepts, poor technical skills, and ability to expand into new frontiers. Many have already left.
    Near-term drop in exploration scope due to specific country alignment, and inability to gain new acreage, and consequently lower level management are so desparate given limited running room, that they are bullying employees to overstate prospects. Becoming quite corrupt. Well known to be a very siloed, non-communicative clandestine culture. Managers protect themselves by promoting incompetence around them. Not a good strategy for growth.
    Mid and late career people will receive no training or onboarding. The focus is purely on developing new hire replacements.

Become a less siloed entity, encourage cross departmental communication, exchange. Train managers in effective management, including basic measures to prevent your likely imminent, downfall through encouraging poor technical performance, deceit, incompetence, and likely safety issues, that accompany poor decisions based on intimidation tactics. Grow proper exploration skills that support growth, and get into countries that allow for expanded running room.

Too focused on process and not on relevant work

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Senior management is very ethical.
    There is good software, technology, training available and a desire for excellence by upper management
    There are some very good people.

Cons

With the rapid growth from a relatively small independent thanks to some large discoveries, the company is focused on process, succession planning and everything but actual sound work, creativity and individual contribution. Working there became an extremely frustrating experience of endless meetings with incompetent middle managers who knew how to speak the lingo but couldn't recognize let alone initiate something that would lead to real value

For Senior Management:
    Come down from your ivory tower.
    Remember what led to the success of the company and focus on those aspects of business
     Stop "drinking the KoolAid" all of the management consultants are pawning off on you.

Specialist

I have been working at Noble Energy

Pros

Immediate supervisors support a work home life. There is no pressure from immediate supervisors to put your work before your family.

Cons

They do not give goals of career advancement. If employees show interest in advancing their careers and pursue their interest many times they are ignored.

Provide clear career advancement options for each job title and position. Each employee needs to feel they are appreciated and valued by the immediate supervisors up to the Vice Presidents.

Company has gone down hill since joining

Former Employee - Geoscience  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Geoscience in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Resonable culture, above average pay

Cons

Lots of managers playing CTB, cover their butts
    No accountability for bizarre requests and unreasonable demands.
    Senior VP's have made promises to Wall Street that they cannot deliver on because they lack the technical know how of subsurface E&P works

Drop the 'do what I say and not what I do attitude'
    Senior managers believe that through the power of GAP that we can find all the hydrocarbons we want
    YA... tell that to the rocks deep in the ground
    Noble's success over the last 7 years was due more to luck than good science

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Assistant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, with strong core values and mission. The company is forward thinking in terms of business and personal. Cares tremendously about personal growth.

Cons

I live outside of Houston, so my commute is awful. It takes 45- 1.5 hours one way.

Offer more classes/courses about industry for lower entry positions.

I was working on a contract basis at the Records Center not the downtown office.

Former Employee - Land Technician  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Land Technician in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Noble Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Got to wear blue jeans everyday, worked 9 hours a day with Friday afternoons off.

Cons

Low pay, no chance of advancement.

Workers at the Records Center should be considered for placement at the downtown office.

OK to work for. Needs some better planning and organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Noble Energy full-time

Pros

Money, nice facilities, professional atmosphere

Cons

Huge contract force does all the work. Employees who do the work and have the knowledge are passed over for illogical reasons.

Change the culture where the work is done by real employees (not just contractors). And reward the employee's with growth and promotions because of the quality and effort put into the work. Avoid promoting people to key positions that don't have the experience or skills relative to their organization.

Worked for Noble Energy? Contribute to the Community!