Noble Energy

Updated 15 December 2014
3.6

Noble Energy Chairman and CEO Charles D. Davidson
Charles D. Davidson

Very inefficient processes and procedures.

Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Noble Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Noble has high salaries and decent benefits. They also paid for parking. At Noble you work 9 hour days and half day every Friday. Noble is a great company, but unfortunately my department had arrogant supervisors that treated employees poorly.

Cons

Some supervisors were borderline verbally abusive. If you are not chosen as their "favorite" you will not be given any opportunity to succeed or lead projects. Noble has extremely inefficient procedures. You need to get ALL your work double/triple checked and approved, often by lower level inexperienced Analysts. They have created a culture of covering your own butt. Very slow processes and some inexperienced individuals make for a huge headache. The supervisors are extreme micro- managers. Many people on the team had poor morale. The CSB building looks and feels like a prison on the inside, no pictures, or art, just white walls and prison guard supervisors. Noble has a lot of talent, few are given encouragement and the opportunity to succeed. Many people keep their head down and fly under the radar and they only stay for the high salary. I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did if it wasn't for the high salary, but in the end my dignity and happiness prevailed. I always had extremely high performance evaluations, which was surprising considering the poor treatment I received from my supervisor. It was a very toxic work environment in my department.

Noble hires great talented people that need to be encouraged and mentored. Get rid of bully supervisors!

Too focused on process and not on relevant work

I worked at Noble Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Senior management is very ethical.
    There is good software, technology, training available and a desire for excellence by upper management
    There are some very good people.

Cons

With the rapid growth from a relatively small independent thanks to some large discoveries, the company is focused on process, succession planning and everything but actual sound work, creativity and individual contribution. Working there became an extremely frustrating experience of endless meetings with incompetent middle managers who knew how to speak the lingo but couldn't recognize let alone initiate something that would lead to real value

For Senior Management:
    Come down from your ivory tower.
    Remember what led to the success of the company and focus on those aspects of business
     Stop "drinking the KoolAid" all of the management consultants are pawning off on you.

Specialist

I have been working at Noble Energy

Pros

Immediate supervisors support a work home life. There is no pressure from immediate supervisors to put your work before your family.

Cons

They do not give goals of career advancement. If employees show interest in advancing their careers and pursue their interest many times they are ignored.

Provide clear career advancement options for each job title and position. Each employee needs to feel they are appreciated and valued by the immediate supervisors up to the Vice Presidents.

OK to work for. Needs some better planning and organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Noble Energy full-time

Pros

Money, nice facilities, professional atmosphere

Cons

Huge contract force does all the work. Employees who do the work and have the knowledge are passed over for illogical reasons.

Change the culture where the work is done by real employees (not just contractors). And reward the employee's with growth and promotions because of the quality and effort put into the work. Avoid promoting people to key positions that don't have the experience or skills relative to their organization.

Company has gone down hill since joining

Former Employee - Geoscience in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Geoscience in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Noble Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Resonable culture, above average pay

Cons

Lots of managers playing CTB, cover their butts
    No accountability for bizarre requests and unreasonable demands.
    Senior VP's have made promises to Wall Street that they cannot deliver on because they lack the technical know how of subsurface E&P works

Drop the 'do what I say and not what I do attitude'
    Senior managers believe that through the power of GAP that we can find all the hydrocarbons we want
    YA... tell that to the rocks deep in the ground
    Noble's success over the last 7 years was due more to luck than good science

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Assistant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company, with strong core values and mission. The company is forward thinking in terms of business and personal. Cares tremendously about personal growth.

Cons

I live outside of Houston, so my commute is awful. It takes 45- 1.5 hours one way.

Offer more classes/courses about industry for lower entry positions.

I was working on a contract basis at the Records Center not the downtown office.

Former Employee - Land Technician in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Land Technician in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Noble Energy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Got to wear blue jeans everyday, worked 9 hours a day with Friday afternoons off.

Cons

Low pay, no chance of advancement.

Workers at the Records Center should be considered for placement at the downtown office.

No place for minorities

I worked at Noble Energy

Pros

Competitive salaries and benefits, good working peers.

Cons

There is a definite but unwritten rule not to hire, promote or retain minorities. A review of their staff would not only show that there is only one African American manager and not one of their African American employees, have been there for over five years. I actually made six, but after five and being promoted to a manager was literally demoted and then accused of poor performance, although the facts do not support the rhetoric. Two previous minorities that were there when I started, were released earlier.

Professional maturity is required of its senior management; still bigoted and fosters a "white only" atmosphere.

OK place to work, not much room for advancement

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Noble Energy as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, nice office facilities

Cons

Weak management, lazy coworker, status quo comes above everything else

Be more assertive in retraining and replacing lazy employees doing the bare minimum to get by. Also be more open to promoting from within rather than holding people back who deserve career growth.

I Love it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly employees, great schedule. Supervisors are very attentive and encourage employees to be promoted from within.

Cons

Technology can be a little challenging sometimes.