Noble Network of Charter Schools

Updated 17 October 2014
Updated 17 October 2014
4.2

Michael Milkie

Committed to kids and staff

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

Committed to providing kids with the best education possible, challenges and focuses on personal development of staff members

Cons

High stakes work means long work days, but it's worth it

Professional, Inspiring, and Life-Changing

Current Employee - Noble Network Support Team in Chicago (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Noble Network Support Team in Chicago (Philippines)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've never worked with more hard-working, inspiring, and mission-driven people in my career. One of the Noble's greatest strengths is its culture and passion for students; this inspires and motivates me everyday when I come to "work." I feel completely supported and positively challenged; Noble is a place were I know that I can become a better professional and a better person. I'm proud to be Noble.

Cons

I think one area that can challenge new/prospective employees is understanding the culture. Many people feel aligned to the mission, but it does take time (like any job) to fully understand the unique, special Noble culture.

Keep inspiring, keep leading.

The work is challenging and fulfilling, but also physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting.

Former Employee - Summer School Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Summer School Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Noble allows more autonomy than most Charter schools, and works hard to make sure teachers are supported by the discipline system and internal administration. Most co-workers are bright, energetic, and passionate about what they do. Parents tend to be involved in students' lives and are receptive to teacher feedback. The emotional support from within the company tends to be very good.

Cons

Teachers with little experience won't get eased into the full load. Pay is usually slightly less than competitive when compared with public schools. Students are among the most difficult, and turnover in faculty/administration is very high. As with most teaching positions, don't expect to have anything resembling a life outside of school/work. The newest schools will experience significant growing pains.

Offer better training support to first year teachers. Be brutally honest about what teachers should expect from students, especially upper classmen. Idealists will get eaten alive from day one if they are not prepared. Be willing to invest more time in a teaching candidate before they take a position.

Teacher

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning environment, awesome kids, always challenging, and full of ambitious, young instructors.

Cons

Lack of employee retention due to high stress and perhaps to over-accountability and too much structure.

Find ways to make the work environment not only conducive to learning, but also to keeping high-quality instructors happy (i.e. creating more work-life balance across the network)!

A NOBLE Engagement of Our Children's Future

Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Superb culture. Discipline issues are minimal or non-existent. Teaching is actually going on! Certain campuses have you engaged full throttle, with a Powerpoint and the expectation for you to teach the lesson in the teacher's absence. Other campuses have busy work for the students or pertinent videos/movies for them to watch.
    Most of the principals are VERY welcoming and will learn your name quickly if you are there frequently. I only encountered one principal in Englewood, who would barely acknowledge your presence or barely speak to you when spoken to.
    The number of students going off to college at many of the campuses are 100%.

Cons

Multiple people might contact you daily. The system needs to be centralized. Currently it is not. There is no way for one campus to be aware that you are working at another campus.

Students First; Administrative Support Staff Left Behind

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The test results year after year speak for themselves. Students achieve and excel at Noble. Nothing beats making a positive impact in the lives of others. The public school system should really take a look at Noble's formula and consider adopting some of their methods and practices. In addition, teachers seem enthusiastic and caring about their student's academic and personal progress. School facilities are clean, safe, and security is monitored closely. Noble also provides a healthy breakfast and lunch menu which for many students are their most robust meals of the day.

Cons

It has been an ongoing trend for the administration staff to feel un-engaged, over-worked (60+ hour work weeks) and under-compensated. Advancement in large part appears to happen by virtue of sheer politics, and very little by merit/hard-work and dedication. Employees see how much is spent on opening new facilities, and yet very little money is available for raises, bonuses and professional development except at the senior ranks. Poor management and bullying (by managers and co-workers) goes mostly un-noticed unless someone has been brave enough to say something (seeing colleagues in tears should really be a clue!)

Break down the silos, focus on building employee engagement and retention at all levels. Remember that the administrative workers in the background deserve the same level of consideration, support and leadership as the workers on the front lines (teachers and school administrators).

Incredible Culture, Outstanding People, and Great Mission.

Current Employee - Educator in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Educator in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

One of the most progressive, successful charter school networks in the country. Great school culture where everyone works hard and succeeds.

Cons

We put in a lot of work for our students' success - that comes with any teaching position.

At Noble, everyone works hard for a cause and comes together when you need help.

Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Noble is the high level of collaboration, not just within my school, but amongst all the campuses. Every quarter, you get to come together with all the other campuses to share strategies and brainstorm together. You really feel like you are a part of a team with a common mission to get more Chicago students to graduate from college.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I have loved my time at Noble. Yes, you put in A LOT of work, but it is all worth it.

Used to be like a family, now it's more like just another heartless corporation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with mostly great people and feeling like part of a family. Most of the people working at Noble really care about the goal of the network and helping kids. Competitive pay and decent benefits.

Cons

The network expanded to quickly, opening too many schools at once. This not only caused a number of growing pains, but also turned it into a place with more of a "corporate" atmosphere than what it was 5 years ago. Some of the senior management cares less about their employees and the Noble vision than their own careers.

It's good to be have goals for helping the kids of Chicago, but growing too fast and opening too many schools only causes problems.

Noble Network of Charter Schools Photos