Noble Network of Charter Schools

Updated 27 January 2015
Updated 27 January 2015
4.4

Michael Milkie

A nice community of highly successful people!

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

Fellow teachers REALLY care and put their whole heart into the work.

Cons

Not every principal is created equal!!! I saw a few schools int he network suffer because of poor administrators and school leaders...

Great place for the high achiever to make a difference

Current Employee - Counselor
    Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started and continue to work at Noble because I wanted to be surrounded by educators who care as much and put in as much effort every day as I do. At my particular campus, this is true of nearly everyone I work with and it is a very unique experience to respect and be respected by so many coworkers. Our discipline code is strict, and while it is easy to find small things that you disagree with within it (Do I really think kids should get an automatic detention for possessing a sharpie?) overall I feel that our Culture is the main reason our students are able to learn so much more than most students at CPS schools - they feel safer, teachers can teach with little distraction, and students know there are high expectations for them every day. At my campus we have a strong focus on teamwork, so we ensure that everyone within a given department has the same prep period, to ensure we can have department planning meetings and collaboration within school hours. We actively work on teamwork in order to keep the focus on students. Noble, as a network, also has a strong focus on competition and collaboration, so while campuses are constantly comparing results, we are also given time and opportunities to collaborate to share best practices. I feel supported by my administration and I feel that my opinion is valued.

We are paid less than CPS educators, but often our bonus can nearly make up for this. The benefits are good - as a non-certified teacher, I don't pay into the Chicago Teachers Pension, and get a 401K match instead.

Cons

Working at Noble can easily become your life. This is my fourth year and I am only starting to not feel guilty if I don't do work at home every evening, or if I refuse to do work on Saturdays. With high expectations for students come high expectations for staff - Noble also tends to hire people with high expectations for themselves and a history of achievement. At my campus there is no one telling you that you have to work overtime - everyone just does it in order to stay afloat and meet expectations.

Amazing company that makes a difference in the life of Chicago students!

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

The work we do really matters in the life of kids. These schools put the needs of Chicago students and their families first in order to make college graduation reality.

Cons

As in most teaching jobs, work/life balance can be hard to achieve. These schools want great results for their students, so they expect great work from their teachers to make this happen.

Focused urban school district employing hard-working young professionals

Current Employee - Teacher (English)
    Current Employee - Teacher (English)

Pros

I really love working with and for people that highly intelligent and committed. It makes for a really positive work environment. We're also within a certain age range so it's pretty social. There's a good deal of autonomy, and the encouragement to constantly be learning. Additionally, there's a lot more instructional support than you typically get a public schools. The benefits are great, and I generally feel very respected as an individual and as a teacher.

Cons

There's an extremely high level of accountability, and an expectation that "above and beyond" is par for the course. There's also a good deal of turnover, (many reasons for this, including reasons specific to Noble as well as the fact that teaching itself is a high turnover profession and the age range of people that work here is young, people that move around alot, etc.). However, the turnover itself can make it more difficult, because you feel like you have to reinvent the wheel every year, to a certain extent.

I think they do a great job. I'm really happy with the leadership of my school and the leadership of the network. I don't love the corporate feel, and I definitely wish they would align some of the uniform/culture expectations with the 21st century...but overall, I'm happy with the direction they generally take things.

This is a fast-paced, highly supportive environment with quality employees that care about educational impacts.

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

This company is ideal for anybody hoping to grow from educator into a more administrative position, as Noble has great vertical growth opportunities embedded into the system. Furthermore, the skills acquired make you a competitive hire in other fields, such as policy, administrative work, business, or analytics. Finally, the benefits include merit-based bonuses, frequent opportunities for professional development, access to university resources, and a nice pipeline for employment opportunities. The staff is hard-working and extremely bright, while the students are exceptional. The students are highly-engaged, love the support of staff, and have great personalities due to the large diversity of students served.

Cons

While the bonuses can be very large, the base salary is lower than that a Chicago Public School teacher. Furthermore, the hours can be quite long for the first year but become much more relaxed once a year experience has been had. There is a large amount of pressure on results, which in my opinion is a positive as it pushes you as an educator but it can be anxiety-provoking at times.

I believe that the values are in order, but would love more opportunities to connect with high school leaders outside of the Noble Network, especially as we continue to solidify ourselves in the Chicago area.

Amazing schools that are changing the landscape of education in Chicago

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at a Noble campus means you are surrounded by dedicated, driven educators that are passionate about realizing education reform in Chicago. Teachers and support staff are offered quality professional development opportunities, and are eligible for performance bonuses. Working for such a results-oriented organization is refreshing and uplifting. Seeing so many great people engaged in this work gives me hope for education in Chicago.

Cons

All students and faculty are held to high expectations, which can sometimes mean it is difficult to find a work/life balance. However, the rewards of working for a high-performing school outweigh the stresses.

Organized and supportive culture

Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

The administration at my campus is extremely supportive. They encourage collaboration and value instructor decisions in terms of school wide events and instruction. Overall, the culture among staff here fosters one of open communication and teamwork, and I know I can be honest with my thoughts and feedback.

Cons

The network has an important mission of helping students from disadvantaged backgrounds succeed in the long term by graduating from college. However, this can be at odds with the high focus on testing. To be fair, this reflects the current emphasis on testing within education, and tests like the ACT do play an important role on student acceptance into college. The time and focus spent on preparing for tests, however, can make it difficult to spend enough time on other important skills that are also essential for success in college.

Students and Colleagues on a Mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

It's refreshing to be surrounded by so many committed people who know they are engaged in important, meaningful work. Administrators, staff members, students and families believe that they're working toward a common goal. Students genuinely do leave their schools with the academic and personal skills to succeed in college and their careers.

Cons

Everyone has high expectations for themselves and for each other. It's a challenge to carve out time for yourself.

Great place to work, high expectations for others and self

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by hard working individuals who want what is best for students. Very supportive administration. Rewarded for excellent results in both recognition and compensation.

Cons

Teaching is a difficult job to begin with. At Noble, they have a very intense focus on students, which is great but also challenging for a teacher to balance work and life.

Noble Network of Charter Schools Photos