Nokia Networks

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.3 1,112 reviews

Nokia Networks CEO Rajeev Suri

Rajeev Suri

Pros
  • good work-life balance, results matter most - no any control freaks in management (in 183 reviews)

• good Work/Life Balance and flexible working hours (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • It is now all about making money and no longer about having a good work-life-balance (in 15 reviews)

• They have cut everything just by taking the name of cost cutting (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights
1,112 Employee Reviews

Great synergies directly after the fusion, the reality turned out to become the end of the Siemens technologies

Consultant (Former Employee) Melbourne

ProsGreat people & capabilities. The converged space was an asset not many other Telco vendors could offer to the degree NSN did.

ConsThe workculture was was globally oriented with local points of variation, having worked in Europe and Australia I can attest the difference of chalk and cheese. The firm had consistent economical problems which drove a culture that was based on short term results rather than longterm strategies. The demise has long been on the horizon when eventually the Melbourne office closed shop and all Siemens business units sold of.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a global leadership program.

Values maybe no longer practiced: Communicate openly, innovate, focus on the customer, inspire, win together

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsIt seems that the visitors (working on a 457 or other visa) who took over much of management and the technical/engineering positions have some opportunities at Nokia in Australia and New Zealand.

ConsToday (on completion of their CMO>PMO>FMO) nearly all intellectual property, opportunities for training, technical expertise etc. have moved off-shore to their global services delivery centre GDC (GSD) in India, leaves little locally. Hence, virtually no opportunities in ANZ. NSN, is now known as "Nokia" they say is quickly becoming (little more than)an India software house, internal rumours indicate is about to be acquired.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe global blueprint (one-shoe-size-fits-all) the loss of autonomy at the local level prevents fit-to-market (not to mention loss of agility) address your high turnover of staff in India, try to listen to what your former APAC customers say about your company. As we said since NSN day 1, your people are your company. So stop telling your people: “you do not own shares in the company”. You are already well beyond the "do the best we can with what remains" stage.

poor management and poor pay raises when you work there

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsNone, they pay on time. Otherwise its was not a positive experience.

ConsManagement is busy with itself, constant new restructurings, changes never ending.
    Motivation is low as more and more work is being moved to India, and the company changed to an Indian company with no western values.
    Bottom line, one of the worst employers I had in 25years.

Advice to Senior Managementstop being busy with positioning yourself for new roles and work on the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing Leadership in Sydney

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsSome excellent work in Europe, good ethics and culture. Community focused. Skilled staff. Flexible working in Sydney, friendly teams.

ConsMajority of staff lost their jobs in Sydney due to poor leadership and loss of major contract (termination through litigation). Some dubious ethics witnessed and further global job reductions. Some disastrous off-shoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementEurope has it right, why re-invent everything when they've already published the methodologies and have the processes?

NSN is a great place to develop yourself while you are working.

Team Lead (Current Employee) Sydney

Prostraining, inspiring people, opportunity to develop skills and upto-date with upcoming technologies.

ConsI don't have any downside for NSN

Advice to Senior Management..

It is a good telecom company to stay

Key Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCompany culture is nice, you will learn things new.

ConsSalary may not be leading and the job gets done really depends on self-discipline

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep stable, not always change Organization.........

Great technology company but going through changes

ProsIf you work in mobile networks then this is the place to be, you will work with some of the best minds in the business. NSN's technology (especially LTE and LTE-Advanced) is world class and product line staff are very approachable. The online training portal is excellent and if you are a self starter you can learn a lot here.

ConsThe company is going through a huge cost saving initiative at present which means that if you have come from a company that offers a lot of perks you will probably be disappointed at NSN. The restructuring process has been going on for almost a year which in my opinion is too long given that existing staff need to know that their jobs are secure,

Advice to Senior ManagementEven during a cost cutting phase, staff still need to feel appreciated. This is especially applicable in a competitive industry like technology where you need to attract and retain top talent. There are inexpensive ways of showing appreciation, and those can mean a lot to people that are going through massive change in their working environment.

Inconsistent Leadership

Senior Technical (Former Employee)

Pros* Awesome people, both technical, project managers, and leaders
    * Good collaboration on projects, across teams
    * Diverse culture with a global footprint
    * Environmentally friendly

Cons* Inconsistent leadership
    * High contractor ratio to permanent staff
    * No where near enough investment in R&D, which will have long term consequences
    * Lack of consistent long term vision = pessimistic outlook

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the long term future for everyone in the company, that allows healthy, positive growth. Become one, striving forward together. That requires much better communication up and down the management tree. NSN has great horizontal collaboration, perhaps the best I have ever seen, but fails in the bottom up and top down communication.

Focusing on short term bottom line - ignoring human assets

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsExcellent, dynamic and hard working technical people
    Global company allows career opportunities

ConsManagement under pressure to reduce cost at the expense of brain drain
    Local employees losing motivation as result of head count reductions whilst European offices seemingly unaffected
    Whilst some product ideas are sound, their implementation falls short and costs customer relationsips
    Competition eats away at market share

Great People - Struggling to Survive

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

Pros-Smart resilient people having survived enormous change.
    -New strategy seem to be more relevant to todays' market - but will it be enough?
    -Better results for Q4 2012, Q1 2013. However, much of this due to severe cost cutting on top of existing sales pipeline. Will it last?

Cons-Hard industry with rapidly diminishing margins and commoditisation of equipment which is primarily out of china now.
    -Poor product differentiation compared to Competitors.
    -Strong non-telco vendors quickly gaining market share.
    -Poor prospects with two parent organisations wishing to disengage from the organisation as soon as possible
    -Strong competitors rapidly taking away market share.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the strategy and do not deviate . Begin the process of deconstruction early rather than later. Reduce further to profitable and differentiable core - sell everything else.

Worked for Nokia Networks? Contribute to the Community!